Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Warlord Roleplay

At one time, sometime over the last year or two, Reaper did put up a poll on this very website asking what sort of direction and rules system people here on the boards would prefer for a Warlord based RPG, so it isn't unreasonable to think that we might see something produced by them in the future.

I believe the general consensus was that D20 might not be the favorite system, but that it was probably a good way for Reaper to go if they wanted to attract more attention to themselves than simply culling RPGers from their current customers.

I think if Rage mechanics were going to be used as the basis for an RPG it might be best to expand the D10 roll into a D100 (2D10) mechanic to give the system more flexibility, detail, and variation for different character builds and concepts. The other thing I would promote if the Rage system was to be expanded into an RPG would be to make it fairly skill based; Fighting, casting Magic, Healing etc should all be skill based. If I want a Paladin type character than is a decent spell caster/Healer I should be able to make it, while if I want a Paladin that is all warrior I should be able to build that as well.

If a game is going to succeed and wants to go a different direction than D20 it needs to be extremely flexible, yet still remain relatively simple (easier said than done).

Resurrecting a fairly old thread here, but I finally found my notes that I mentioned way back in February and got them in some sort of order.

I'll preface this by saying this is only a very rough sketch of the idea. I've included a tentative sample of character progression, but there are several aspects that I haven't addressed in the notes. One area that needs fleshing out is the idea of specialization within a given character path (i.e. an archer v. cavalry v. melee fighter). The basic idea and structure is fairly plain though.

This gets a bit long, but hopefully some of you might find bits of it interesting:

WARLORD/DARK HEAVEN: THE RPG

Scores

Primary Scores:

Strength (ST)

Willpower (WP)

Vitality (VT)

Agility (AG)

Intelligence (IN)

Secondary Scores:

Wounds (W)

Move (M)

Defense Value (DV)

Magical Defense (MD)

Primary scores are expressed as die modifiers (i.e. +1, -2, etc.). Players buy their characters' primary scores at start of play with Building Points (BP). Each starting character gets 3 BP to assign as they wish. The default score is 0. In other words, a completely average human would have no bonuses to any of his primary scores. The other races have different starting scores, but they still average out to zero.

Starting Human:

ST: 0

WP: 0

VT: 0

AG: 0

IN: 0

Starting Elf:

ST or VT -1, AG or IN +1 (Player's choice)

+1 Move

Starting Dwarf:

ST or VT +1 (Player's choice), AG -1

-1 Move

Starting Half-Orc:

ST +1, WP-1

Starting Halfling:

ST -1, VT or WP +1 (Player's choice)

-1 Move

Secondary scores are derived scores, meaning they are calculated based upon the character's primary scores.

W)ounds = 10 + VT

M)ove = 6 + Racial Modifier (if any)

DV (Defensive Value) = 5+ AG + VT

MD (Magical Defense) = 10 + WP

Keep in mind these scores are just how you start out. They can improved through gameplay and advancement.

Character Paths

Most people in Taltos/Adon are not as powerful as the Player Characters. They live simple lives working at everyday jobs. Even politically powerful nobles or wealthy merchants won't necessarily be Characters like the PCs.

The four basic character paths roughly mirror the Elite classes from the Warlord game. There are Clerics, Mages, Warriors (Heroes), and Rogues. Within each path there are various directions the player can take his character. For instance, a warrior may choose to focus on melee/close combat, or maybe he rather develop an archer character, etc. The choise is left to the player, but the options are dictated by the character's path and level.

There are three levels of characters: Novice, Veteran, and Expert. Within each level for a given path, there are various opportunities for the character to improve himself. These are called "advancements." The types of advancements available vary from path to path (a rogue will have fewer combat-oriented advancement opportunities than a warrior, etc.). Advancements fall into one of three main categories: Skills, Abilities, and Scores.

Skills vary from combat-oriented, to academic knowledge of a subject, to riding a horse, picking a pocket, bargaining for supplies, climbing a rope, and so on. Like scores, skills are represented as a modifier. The main difference being you (normally) can't have a negative modifier in a skill. You either have the skill, or you don't.

Each skill is linked to a given score. For instance, knowing some academic subject (like Geography) is linked to Intelligence, whereas archery (Shooting) is linked to Agility, etc. When a player has to roll for a given skill, he adds the skill modifier to his linked score and adds the result to a d10. The Game Master (GM) may assign other modifiers to reflect to ease or difficulty of the particular situation (i.e. extreme range, etc.). NOTE: For some skills, you can attempt a roll even if you don't have the skill. In these cases, there is typically a -2 modifier applied to the roll (in addition to any situational modifers). Thus, a trained individual with average scores will typically be better -or at least as good as- someone who is untrained but with higher scores. Some skills simply cannot be attempted without training and no attempt is possible without learning the skill. Magic is a good example of this type of skill.

Abilities are similar to the Special Abilites that certain Warlord troops have. Things like Toughness, Mage or Cleric X/Y, Ranger, etc. are all abilities. There are other abilities as well that wouldn't necessarily come up in combat or a tabletop skirmish that an RPG character could find useful.

Normally, an ability generally does one of two things; it either grants a modifier to a type of test, or lets the character do something new. For example, the Ranger ability offsets movement modifers for certain types of difficult terrain. Whereas Mage 1/2 allows the character to cast wizard spells.

The last kind of advancement is Scores. This is simply the opportunity to raise certain scores through play. This reflects things like a warrior becoming stronger or tougher, a mage learning more or becoming stronger-willed, etc.

When the Novice character starts out, he gets one free Advancement within his path. Further advancements are gained by purchasing them with earned experience points (EPs). As a Novice, it costs 100EP per advancement, Veterans pay 200EPs, and for Experts, the cost is 400EPs. More about EPs and how to earn them later on.

Each advance -unless otherwise stated- can only be taken once. In the case of skills (and some others) there is a number associated with the advance (i.e. "Throwing +1"). This indicates the modifier you are gaining from taking that advance. In order to gain a higher modifier, you must wait until that advance becomes available to you. So, in the above example, in order to get Throwing at +2, a character cannot take Thowing +1 twice, but must wait until he can take Throwing +2. Also, the lower level advance is always a prequisite for the next advance. So a character cannot skip taking the skill at +1 and just buy the +2 later.

In order for a character to go up in level, they must spend a minimum amount of experience in the previous level. For the most part, the player is free to choose which advances they spend their character's EPs on. There are, however, a few "core advances" within each path's levels that must be taken before advancing to the next level. A character can, however, always purchase an untaken advance from an earlier level as long as he is still in the same path.

Characters also have the option of changing paths during play. To switch from one path to another costs 500EP (and GM permission). When changing paths, character always start out as Novices, regardless of their level in their previous path. So an Archmage (Expert: Level 3) switching to the Warrior path would become a Grunt (Novice: Level 1). Switching back to a path your character had perviously followed also costs 500EP, but the character re-enters the path at his old level.

As a Novice, the character also starts with a "stake." This consists of a few basic pieces of equipment and a little money. Each path gives a slightly different stake to a character. This stake is only granted once per character, so changing paths won't get you free gear! In fact, GMs might require that you acquire some or all of the gear listed for Novices in your new path before you can switch.

WARRIOR (HERO)

"Grunt" (Novice/Level 1)

Stake: 1 Weapon (Sword, Axe, Mace, Crossbow, or Bow), Light Armor, 1d10 x 6 gold pieces

Skills

Melee +1 (Ag)

Shooting +1(Ag)

Throwing Weapons +1(Ag)

Tactics +1(In)

Survival +1(In)

Abilities

Toughness/1

Deflect (req. shield)

Marksman

Trencher

Scores

ST +1

AG +1

VT +1

Required to advance: Melee, Shooting, OR Throwing. Toughness/1, plus any other 3 advances.

"Sell-Sword" (Veteran/Level 2)

Skills

Melee +2

Shooting +2

Throwing +2

Tactics +2

Survival +2

Camoflage +1

Stealth +1

Swim +1

Ride +1

Abilities

Toughness/2

Leader/1

First Strike

Extra Attack +1

Scores

ST +2

AG +2

VT +2

WP +1

Required to advance: Any TWO of Melee, Shooting, or Throwing at +1 or higher. Leader/1 or ST or AG at +1 or higher, plus any other 3 advances.

"Hero" (Expert/Level 3)

Skills

Melee +3

Shooting +3

Throwing +3

Tactics +3

Survival +3

Camoflage +2

Stealth +2

Swim +2

Ride +2

Abilities

Leader/2

Extra Attack +2

Fearless

Scores

ST +3

VT+3

WP+2

Will it be it's own system or a d20 OGL chumpie?

Both are ideas we've looked at.

You never know, we may do both...

This idea hasn't made it out of the conceptual stage though, if/when the time comes that we move forward with it, we will release the details as we have them.

@Kengar--you're off to a great start. It's reminiscent of the character builds put down in the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but all Warlord. I know more people that own the WFRP books than actually play it however. Hm.

@Kengar--you're off to a great start. It's reminiscent of the character builds put down in the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but all Warlord. I know more people that own the WFRP books than actually play it however. Hm.

Thanks. The WH career system was definitely one influence. ::): I'm not sure at what rate I'll be working on this. We've got a relatively new baby (2 months old today!) and a lot of stuff going on at work, but just looking at the notes gets some ideas percolating.