Liquitex Soft Bodied paints?

:0)

Looking at www.dickblick.com, Liquitex seems to have released a new "Soft Bodied" variation of their normal paints. Quoted from their description:

These paints have the same pigment load as the Heavy Body formula, with a different resin formula that gives it superb flow quality. These concentrated acrylics contain rich, pure pigments that produce intense color without opacifiers or fillers.

Liquitex Soft Body Acrylics are naturally creamy and fluid. That makes them just right for watercolor techniques, tole and decorative arts, hard edged painting, sculpture, airbrush illustration

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the exact same paints that have been offered in the flip-cap bottles for years. Liquitex has re-named all of their paint lines and now these are known as "soft-bodied". They may have repackaged these paints and made them available now in the plastic tubes also but the formulation is the same as the bottled line.

I currently use the Liquitex "soft body" titanium white. Seems pretty good, but then again I only use it for really small highlights.

I'm not that fond of the flip cap, so I transferred some into a regular dropper bottle.

If you are looking at artist quality acrylics for a particular reason to paint miniatures I would recommend using Golden Fluid Acrylics which flow better than the Liquitex paints that I have used in the past. I use them primarily for illustration but sometimes for minis. They work very well, sort of like Vallejo or Reapers Master Series.

Yep, Golden Fluids are formulated for airbrush and have a thinner consitency with a bit of flow improver in them making them ideal as figure paint. They even have a series now thet includes real "pigment" formulations like Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna and such, as opposed to their "off" colors in the original series.

Even though I love my Liquitex paint for illustration, I still recommend Reaper MSP as the best paint on the market for figure painting.

I've used both the Golden paints and the Liquitex "soft body" I like them both. Each has it's own good qualities to lend to mini painting. Liquitex has a huge color range and Golden is more fluid. The Liquitex paints seem to get along better with other paint brands too.