A question about inks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I add "acrylic extender" - it is the base that they add the pigment to in the first place. †Craft stores have it in the paint section.  Also is better than water (for most applications) as it will improve the flow without diluting the color as much.

I use both GW and Reaper Pro Paint inks right out of the bottle, no dilution (or extender). When I want a more subtle wash, I use a regular water:paint mix. When I want a more glossy wash, I use a Magic Wash (ink + water + acrylic floor polish).

Carefule not to water down too much or you will end up with "tide marks".
Yes, those are a pain.

I depend heavily on washes and inks.  A model without them looks very flat and lifeless.  I work mostly with GW colors, and almost always water them down anywhere from 1:3 to 1:6 ratios.  I use a lot of watered down paints as inks and washes as well.  This allows for greater continuity and smooth color transition as well as shading possibilties.

It all depends on the results you get and the experimentation you do.

Yes, like FM has stated it really takes some experimentation to find what works for you and your models.

SK

I rarely water them down.  I like GW inks, but have found I like the Valejo stuff better.  It seems to have a good color with out liaving to much on the raised areas.

Lately I have been painting with out inks and just blending up from the darkest color to the lightest.

Hiya,

I often use GW Flesh Wash as a tint to my flesh basecoat. Adds a subtle ruddy tone without making the figure looking like its sunburned.

Speaking of blending, I saw this great article over on an AFV modelling site called Track-Link on painting flesh and blending with acrylics: http://www.track-link.net/articles/96

Damon.

Only inks I've ever used is the GW sort. I find that I have to cut them by at least 50% to keep them from covering up everything. Another good tip is to add a drop of dishwashing soap to the ink to cut the surface tension so it flows better.

Another thing I've found is I tend to use more thinned oil paint than inks. It's more of bear to clean up but it seems to work better for me. Esp. when used for black washes over steel armour.