WWII micro or 10mm

OK, so I'm toying with the idea of getting into WWII gaming. I really like the smaller scales like 1/285 or 10mm. Game wise I like playing 1:1 where each fig represents 1 tank, guy, truck etc.

I've looked around a bit and must say that the market is pretty confusing and not very transparent. My major concerns so far:

A) Scale. I understand from my google searches that models from different companies are often not to the same scale even though they ought to be. So a 10mm infantry guy from one company can be significantly out of scale compared to a 10mm guy from a different company.

It seems that some companies have scaling problems even withing their own ranges.

B) Quality. Well they're pretty tiny so it's hard to tell how good they are from the (typically) poor quality photos online.

C) Trust. A lot of the people producing this stuff have no secure online store to pay through. Can they be trusted?

D) Rules. What a jungle.

So I have a few questions that I hope some of you guys can answer:

1) GHQ and Adler miniatures. One claims to be 1/285 and the other 1/300. Does anyone have infantry from both of these companies and how compatible are they?

2) GHQ, Adler and FOW. Of what quality are these minis?

3) Again GHQ, Adler and FOW. Any good/bad experiences?

4) Rules. Any good rules for 1/285 or 1/300? I really like CAV2, so RAGE of Nations has appeal to me, but how far along in development is this game? Has anyone tried the rules yet and where are the inf. data cards?

Any additional advice to a complete newbie into this corner of the hobbie would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm very confused, but am leaning towards GHQ because it's cheaper and smaller, both of which are important to me. The more minis on the table the better.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never tried any of the others, but GHQ are extremely good, very well detailed, and a decent proce (at least here in the US). There's also C-in-C as well. Then there's Irregular, which always seems to have what you're looking for. Quality is probably not as great, but they're based in the UK and tend to be reasonable with great CS. Might be worth samples...

Damon.

That's a lot of Questions.

If your interest is in 1:1 for troops and vehicles then micro armor and 10mm are really to small.

15mm is about as small as I would be willing to go for skirmish gaming, and 25-28mm is perfect, although I have seen folks play it with 1/35th scale (about 54mm) too. Those look like fun games.

I consider GHQ to be the best manufacturer of micro armor. Adler is a little rough for my tastes. CinC is pretty good too, closer to GHQ in quality. I have friends that mix GHQ vehicles with Adler infantry because Adler infantry are not as fragile on the table.

FOW is redoing many of the vehicles which were already very nice as well as their infantry. A year ago I would not buy their infantry sculpts, they have improved by leaps and bounds since then. Command Decision (Old Glory) is the other big 15mm WWII manufacturer, I love their infantry but they have a habit of letting their molds go to long on their armor and you get vehicles that require lots of clean up prior to painting. Command Decision and FOW vehicles mix pretty well together.

In general I have not really had any problems with GHQ, CinC, Adler or FOW.

Rage of Nations is not really moving along all that quick and there are no infantry data cards at this time. With Matt leaving Reaper and heading back into the IT world work on RON has come to a halt at this time. It was very much a side project for him anyway.

For skirmish rules I'm looking at using Disposable Heroes. I need quick and fast not something monstrous like the other skirmish rules out there like Battlefront.

By far our favorite set of rules is Spearhead which has some excellent mechanics combined with a very short learning curve. We can go 6 months without playing and pick the game back up in about 20 minutes or so.

I'm not fond of FOW to much like 40K for WWII. I might have to play it anyway since there is a fast growing number of players here so lots of new opponents.

I REALLY like OG CD product. I've bought a couple hundred dollars worth of product during their 40% off sale, and have yet to be let down in terms of quality. Some of the castings are a little rough, true, but cleaned up perfectly fine.

I also really like their infantry, which tend to be a little more realistically proportioned compared to FoW, and with better posing IMHO. There's also far more variety from CD than with FoW. I picked up 2 bags of LW Germans, and each bag had 12 poses, and included squad leaders (with MP-40s) and a couple of command figures as well. LMGs, unfortunately, are seperate...

Damon.

I have definitely went through a period when the Shermans, in particular, were definitely awful castings to work with. Their infantry though is top notch and you get a lot of it. But as Damon said light and heavy infantry weapons are sold seperately.

Yeah their Shermans weren't too good. Besides bad castings, the turret appeared squashed or underscale, really throwing off the look of the entire piece. I'm probably going to use BF for my Shermans. The M3 half-track from OG is top notch, though, and flawless castings...

Damon.

Thank you for all the information.

I see I've been unclear. When I said 1:1 I didn't mean skirmish. What I meant was 1 tank = 1 tank, a base with 5 infantry = 5 infantry. Though in the case of infantry I realize that casualties means there might actually be more minis on the base than what it represents. So what I want to do is play 1/285 for larger scale battles and 15mm for skirmish games.

This is what I think I'm hearing, so please correct me if I've misunderstood something:

Micro armor scale:

GHQ seems to be telling the truth when they're saying that they're making the best minis. From what I've looked online they are also signifficantly more expensive than the competition. I'm thinking this is probably the direction I'll be taking though since shipping costs will actually be a bigger concern than the difference between GHQ and f.ex. CinC prices. From what I can tell CinC sends it as international parcel, while GHQ sends it air mail. This means that GHQ will always be a cheaper choice for me. Adler is both cheaper for the product and cheaper shipping to me, so I'll have to order some just to see if I like them.

I looked at the Irregular minis in 6mm and really didn't like what I was seeing, so I'll probably not try them out.

15 mm:

FOW seems to be the popular (and expensive choice): I found a local gaming club that uses 15mm for WWII skirmish games, so I'll probably go look at what they have ans see which brands I like. I've already seen FOW minis which despite the abnormally large heads looks just fine to me.

OK, new round of questions:

Basing.

I'd really like to be able to use the minis for as many rule sets as possible, and I'm having a hard time figuring what people are doing with basing. I'm considering chosing a basing scheme with relatively few minis on each base and then using a system where two or more of these bases can be "docked" into a larger base for rule sets that require more minis per base. With this scheme I'm thinking 2 guys per LMG base, 2 guys per officer base and 3 guys per rifle base, would give me a lot of options.

So can you guys tell me what you're doing when it comes to bases and also if my basing scheme is doable or if it makes no sense?

Just found out that all costs included getting 75 little germans from GHQ costs me more than double the money compared to 72 little germans from Adler.

So far I'm leaning towards going with GHQ for everything but infantry, and getting infantry from Adler. If I end up getting both Adler and GHQ infantry will they look rediculous standing next to each other? Both manufactureres have cool stuff the other doesn't so I'm hoping they mix well.

So far I'm leaning towards going with GHQ for everything but infantry, and getting infantry from Adler. If I end up getting both Adler and GHQ infantry will they look rediculous standing next to each other? Both manufactureres have cool stuff the other doesn't so I'm hoping they mix well.

Unfortunately they don't mix that well together. However, if you don't mix them on the same stand, i.e. either all GHQ or all Adler then you will be fine using both.

As far as basing, most historical games only really care about the frontage of the stand (well except FOW they really want you to buy as many miniatures as possible). My group just in general uses 1" wide stands and vary them in depth 3/4 of an inch or 1". The smaller stands are used for command stands when needed the larger for bigger formations. For Skirmish games it doesn't matter what they are mounted on as long as they are all the same.

We use small plastic rings that we found at a fabric store as casaulty markers. So you can tell at a glance how many hits any given stand has taken in combat.

heya: on an older note:

i don't know how reliable WarWeb is, but they sell GHQ at a slightly reduced price...not much, but a few cents on the dollar might do something in bluk....

if you want GHQ you might wanna look at them...

then again, i think they are USA, and you are looking EU....