UV Setting Glue

twjolson

I know that some glues, mostly in manufacturing, set automatically when hit with UV light. Does anyone know if any of these are available for home use? I've never came across any.

Also, UV light is the same as a black light right?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that some glues, mostly in manufacturing, set automatically when hit with UV light. Does anyone know if any of these are available for home use? I've never came across any.

Also, UV light is the same as a black light right?

First, it is a different type of UV light that sets these .... kind of like the difference between a 99cent "daylight" bulb and a 99dollar daylight bulb (well, in most cases, some of those high$ ones are rip-offs, but hey).

Second, you might be able to find both at a beauty supply store, look in the artificial nail area and don't be afraid to ask questions. I don't know for sure about one that sets automatically as in instantly, but they have some that are highly accelerated by it and a few that will only set with it.

HTH

Wendy

Two commonly available types that I am familiar with are ones like Loctite 363 and then Norland's UV adhesives. Both are quite a bit more expensive than your normal super glue type glues - but they do have a few interesting uses.

The Loctite version and Norland glues were are both intended for use with optics. They dry optically clear...which can be useful when joining painted mini parts as well as when attaching clear components to models (windows and what not).

The Loctite version actually has a UV activated hardener where the Norland brand is a UV cured glue. The important distinction is that the Loctite glue will act like a normal glue once it gets exposed to UV...just like super glue or white glue when exposed to air. I have lost more than one bottle by accidently leaving it exposed to light. Anywho - once activated the hardener will set in a 5 seconds or so - maybe a minute for really big stuff.

Norland on the otherhand is more like FIMO clay in how it works. Untill it gets hit by a specific ammount of UV light it is still workable. You can precure it by giving it a measured dose of UV light prior to assembly and than finish it off quickly once assembled.

Remember though - UV light exists pretty much everywhere. Sunlight and normal light bulbs will kill a bottle of this stuff within a day or so - so you will need special storage and working areas with it. I keep mine in a mini fridge in the back of the garage till I need it than I work with a rare earth red phase light bulb (produces the least ammount of UV for the least ammount of money). For fast cures I have an Opticure that I picked up cheap at a DRMO auction. If I have something that can cure slower though, I just turn on the regular lights and it will normally cure in a few hours time.

The black light will work - though it will likely take a bit. The adhesive that you choose will tell you how much UV energy it needs (normally expressed in watts per cm squared). You can look at the output from the lights you can get a hold of and calculate the time needed for the cure to happen (distance will effect it - possibly a cure box with two or three black lights will give you the ability to flash cure if you can get them close enough to the surface).

Anywho - window repair stores, optics shops (cameras, rifle scopes, telescopes, microscopes, glasses) will all have access to this - and most sell supplies to the public. I used to get mine from a place that did custom stained glass windows. Around $30-40 a bottle of the stuff though.