Watch where you put your swords

dargrin

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One for the Darwin awards, I think.
Nope, too young for the actual award. But an honorary mention is deserved. A loose sword above your bed is pretty dumb.

Nah, there's no age limit so long as you remove yourself from the gene pool before you reproduce.

Was the kid's name Damocles? :devil:

It's a tragedy, but one that could easily have been avoided soooooo many different ways.

* More secure fasteners for the display.

* More secure anchors into the wall.

* Not placing the sword directly over a point where someone will be in an exposed position

* Not bouncing a ball against a fairly expensive item

* Not playing ball in the house (quick way for me to get grounded as a kid)

Was the kid's name Damocles? :devil:

It's a tragedy, but one that could easily have been avoided soooooo many different ways.

* More secure fasteners for the display.

* More secure anchors into the wall.

* Not placing the sword directly over a point where someone will be in an exposed position

* Not bouncing a ball against a fairly expensive item

* Not playing ball in the house (quick way for me to get grounded as a kid)

So you see no problem with 15 year old having a freaking WEAPON in his room? I mean I wouldn't let my daugther have a gun or sword in her room, and especially not at age 15. I mean he wasn't old enough to drink beer or vote, but having a weapon lying around hes room somehow seemed sane to his parents. Oh well maybe I'm just being all scandinavian again.

No, I would not have a problem with my 15 year old having sword hung in a decorative manner in his bedroom. I would make sure it was securely fastened to it's display and the wall. I would also make sure it was not positioned in a location where my child would be vulnerable and at risk to be hurt should it fall in an accident i.e. No where near the bed or desk where he may be sleeping or concentrating on something too much to notice it falling.

At 15, in my bedroom, I had two bows, standard draw and compound, and about 3 dozen arrows, two large knives, multiple smaller pocket knives, a hatchet, an axe, and 12 competition quality hand darts. If I was interested in using a rifle or a handgun, I would have likely had them in there as well, properly stowed and locked with the ammo seperate.

My worst injury was cutting my left index finger because I was not being as careful as I should - when I was 10. It was bad, but clean enough that it did not even require stitches.

I also had a bunk bed.

I spent 4 days in the hospital with blood in my urine in a lot of pain because I fell off the bed reaching for my radio at age 13. They thought I had fractured my kidney. I twisted my ankle on numberous occasions jumping out of bed, several times bad enough to need crutches. I brained my brother and bruised his ribs with WWF style flying elbows off the top bunk god knows how many times.

Probably shouldn't allow me to have a bed either I reckon. :poke:

I think what is confusing me is that children who are not old enough to handle alcohol, sex, voting or cars, are somehow deemed old enought to have weapons in their rooms.

I don't want to send this to beekeepers, but I just don't understand the mentality.

is it just me or does the article's description make it sound like the sword was NOT just a display item, but actually sharp ??

Entirely likely, although all the more reason to make sure the item was properly stowed.

Even if there was not an edge on the blade, just the tip of it, with the weight of the weapon would likely be sufficient to penetrate the neck/collarbone/shoulder area and be fatal - with your carotid, jugular, and trachea all right there and vulnerable. Even without a sharpened edge, there was probably enough weight and force of impact to split his skin if it struck along the edge of the blade. Even if not honed to a razor's edge, most display pieces still have a pretty decent edge - just a function of force into surface area.

Regardless, it is a tragedy, and one that could have been avoided with a bit more care.

@Vejlin - If you want to discuss it further, so this entire thread doesn't end up in Beekeepers, I'll be happy to join you in a conversation there ^_^