Well, it finally happened...

FeniXbane

Ok, I'll give you the whole story as it should be good for a laugh or two ^_^ and provide a nice warning to those that haven't had to do much mini gluing yet.

I have a gel glue called Quick Grab. Usually works pretty well and dries pretty fast. A couple days ago I used it to glue one of Blacksting's wings on. It took a while to dry and eventually I propped it up on the table to finish setting since it wasn't 100% solid.

Two days later I go back to it and it separated slightly, so I wiggled it and it broke the seal, but stayed attached. I figured I'd deal with it later and try doing the other wing with Zap CA.

While holding it together, the first wing fell off. After the Zap glue dried, I went to lay him down and I'm sure you know what happened next. The two day old glue instantly bonded to my hand (apparently it dries completely in 48 hours and 2 minutes exactly!).

That was cute and all and I eventually got him off, but when I went to pick up the other wing, it had bonded itself to my shirt. <_< I like shirts with dragons on them but this was not what I had in mind!

So the moral of the story is, what's the best way to get the glue chunk that absorbed into my shirt out? I used acetone to get the wing off without causing any damage to the shirt but would it discolor if I soak it for a longer period of time or would I have better results scrubbing quickly with acetone and a toothbrush/towel/or whatever?

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you now have a painting shirt. The CA has set, it has soaked into the threads and made them brittle. Next couple of washings will cause them to break, opening up a hole where the CA is. I've lost a few pants this way.

Try soaking the area in acetone. If it softens, scrub the heck out of it. If it works, great, if not, you really haven't lost anything at this point.

I'd just consider the shirt your junk shirt for weekend chores and painting in now, unless the crusty spot is somewhere it could be hidden by being tucked in or something.

Remember when we were kids and we had school clothes and play clothes?

Same thing. Our toys are just different :lol:

But I already have a painting shirt. :down: Which I wasn't wearing at the time. I mean, it was only a 2 minute job, what could possibly happen?

Same thing. Our toys are just different :lol:

Ahh, I miss my old toys. :wub: Did anybody else have Battle Beasts back in the day (The ones with the heat sensitive rub thingies with wood, fire, and water)? They were like the kids version of Reaper Minis. I even made weapons and armor for them (my first conversion!). Maybe our toys aren't too different after all. :;):

you now have a painting shirt. The CA has set, it has soaked into the threads and made them brittle. Next couple of washings will cause them to break, opening up a hole where the CA is. I've lost a few pants this way.

Oh oh. This could be bad news for me since I've started assembling minis after I finish my lunch (at my desk). I almost super-glued a "hand holding a bow" mini-part to my thumb today. Now, I have to worry about damaging my clothes as well? :unsure:

Ron

Ahh, I miss my old toys. :wub: Did anybody else have Battle Beasts back in the day (The ones with the heat sensitive rub thingies with wood, fire, and water)? They were like the kids version of Reaper Minis. I even made weapons and armor for them (my first conversion!). Maybe our toys aren't too different after all. :;):

Yeah, I had some. IIRC, a friend of mine pointed out that in Japan these figures were actually associated with the Transformers line(!).

I wish they still made those pink battle wrestling guys...what a great cheap line!

Damon.

Yeah, I had some. IIRC, a friend of mine pointed out that in Japan these figures were actually associated with the Transformers line(!).

Yeah, they were originally supposed to be called Beastformers, but somehow the Autobot/Deceptacon things became wood/fire/water and they became their own line. They did make appearances in the Japanese Transformer cartoons, though. Amazing what you can learn from the internet.

I wish they still made those pink battle wrestling guys...what a great cheap line!

M.U.S.C.L.E.s! They were cool, too.

If more acetone won't take the glue off, the shirt has a future hole in it. A scrachy hole at that. I've lost good shirts to acetone. My "Dickey's teflon work pants" actually had the glue come off them eventually though without damage..

I have a few of those. One or two are even primed and awaiting paint.

I worked on it last night...no luck. It really didn't do anything.

I have a few of those. One or two are even primed and awaiting paint.

Cool, I'd love to see how they look painted. I think I still have a few of those somewhere. :devil:

Semi-related tip: if you get superglue on your fingers, dip them into water. This will set the superglue immediately, before capillary action spreads it throughout your fingerprints and it soaks too far into your skin. Then you can take fine sandpaper and gently sand it off so you don't get that annoying "dry finger" feeling. Doesn't hurt at all, and a lot easier to remove.

I have a couple hundred of those M.U.S.C.L.E things up in the attic. Are they actually worth anything? Would have thought they'd be too soft and flexible to paint.

Kep

Semi-related tip: if you get superglue on your fingers, dip them into water. This will set the superglue immediately, before capillary action spreads it throughout your fingerprints and it soaks too far into your skin. Then you can take fine sandpaper and gently sand it off so you don't get that annoying "dry finger" feeling. Doesn't hurt at all, and a lot easier to remove.
Yeah, that's annoying. I'll give it a shot next time if I can.

I have a couple hundred of those M.U.S.C.L.E things up in the attic. Are they actually worth anything? Would have thought they'd be too soft and flexible to paint.
They're actually selling on ebay if you want to check over there, someone has a lot of 100 going for $40.