Sign in to follow this  
Kengar

CD bases

I'm working on a dragon mini (the dreaded WOTC black) and want to mount him on a CD base. Pinning is therefore not really an option. What's a good way to secure this monstrosity? I plan on a swampy look to the base, but I can leave the footprints and where the tail touches (3-point contact) bare until after it's attached. I don't see super glue as doing the trick. What about GreenStuff? Or possibly Liquid Nails? I want it secure enough for tabletop play if possible.

Thoughts? Advice?

Why is pinning not an option? I would use a micro drill to drill a hole through the CD.

CD's are notoriously fragile when you start poking holes in them.

I use greenstuff and/or superglue to secure my models to their AOL-Brand miniature bases. Use some sandpaper to score up the smooth surface and you'll get a stronger bond.

@dargrin My concern is the brittleness, like Erion mentioned. But also, I would think a CD would be too thin to sink a pin into. I mean, what would it secure to?

@Erion I'll try some GS + superglue and see how that goes. Thanks.

I'm currently basing a dragon on a cd, but I built it up with MagicSculpt first to give something to drill into and give the glue something to grip. Plus, it'll look cool. ::D: It's not a Reaper dragon, but I can post some in-progress base pics later if you want. (I don't have them at hand right now.)

I'm currently basing a dragon on a cd, but I built it up with MagicSculpt first to give something to drill into and give the glue something to grip. Plus, it'll look cool. ::D: It's not a Reaper dragon, but I can post some in-progress base pics later if you want. (I don't have them at hand right now.)

I'd love to see the pix, thanks.

For this guy, since he's a swamp dragon, my original theory was to have most of the base painted up to look like scummy water, with a few hummocks and marshy plants. So I didn't want to build the base up too much.

See this is where we get into contradictions...

The game of Warlord is suppose to use square bases, but then when we get to that Gigantic base size they tell us to use CDs.

Personally, I would get a piece of balsa wood and or the like, and make a square base.

I've used a plastic for sale sign (2 bucks ala Wally World). Draw the shape you want twice, double it up, sand & bevel the edge. The two layers make it a little more rigid and thicker for pinning.

My .02

Later.

If it were me, I'd get 4 or 5 CDs (thanks AOL) and glue them together. And I'd probably pin too. You could pin in the traditional sense after they were all glued together, or try to embed the pin at a right angle between a couple layers of the CDs. You'd probably have to carve out some space for the pin to go in the middle CD. 4 CDs epoxied or superglued together should make a nice solid base.

See this is where we get into contradictions...

The game of Warlord is suppose to use square bases, but then when we get to that Gigantic base size they tell us to use CDs.

Personally, I would get a piece of balsa wood and or the like, and make a square base.

Since there are not any official Warlord figs of that size IIRC, little need there is for official base. If 4" square you want, craft stores have them as plaques. 16 one inch bases, when glued together, also make a 4" square .

For drilling holes in CDs, you will want to use a backer plate. The plastic is pretty brittle, and it will generally crack if unsupported (like if you tried to drill through the center ring while it wasn't backed by something.

I generally just go ahead and lay it face down (face being the side that will have writing or whatever on it) and drill the pin holes in that center ring area). You can slip your pins through and than give it a skim coat of glue/epoxy to hold them in place. The center ring has a bit of a hollow so nothing should protude. Normally on anything that would require a CD sized base though, I like to use screws and I put those in once the mini and base are complete.

Don't forget to take a look at home centers and lumber yards for bases too. You can get hardwood discs which make great bases for a dollar or so near the dowels and what not. Most of them are in the CD size range and they come in oval and squares too.

Masonite ---- ooooor ---- plasticard. It takes time to draw, then score, the circle in plasticard, but it's great basing material. Of course, the circle is not "perfect" but it's close with sanding.

Masonite, I've only *thought* of using it... If I was really worried, I'd superglue the heck out of it, then build the green stuff up around it. While superglue is a bit brittle, if you've got a base that can absorb shock, the blue will survive plenty fine.... but as mentioned above, a fairly flexible non-absorbant base will give superglue trouble... uh-oh methinks I'm about to babble.

It takes time to draw, then score, the circle in plasticard, but it's great basing material. Of course, the circle is not "perfect" but it's close with sanding.

Circle cutters are a good thing. The ones made for paper will cut up to about 1/8th inch styrene plasticard. On the thicker side of things you will probably have to go around twice...perfect circle more or less - and it is fast.

If I started using my wife's scrapbooking circle cutters to make plasticard bases i would be so doomed...