Sign in to follow this  
Darthiir

Oh the indignity

Capt. C and I were playing a 750 pt. game last night. He was playing Necropolis and I was using my elves. I tried something different and built an all melee force, with a little magic support from Lysette. Without going into a long drawn out battle report, towards the end Mossbeard burts through the trees and charges the archers, he gets into b2b with three of them and clobbers them, and on defensive strikes, well they hack him apart....Capt. C rolled three 10s. Then on their activation the remaining archers fill him with arrows and he falls, only to be couped by Malek.

SKELETAL ARCHERS..................BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry::grr::angry::grr::angry::grr::angry::grr::angry::grr:

I will try the all melee elves agian but maybe try the :ph34r: approach.

Shut it Qwyk ::P: !

hehe I have done an all melee elf force a couple times Im 1 and 1 with them as compared to my Gazillion and 3 with a standard list.

I heard of this same thing happening with Ivy crown and Ymilrix when the mercied him in combat LOL

well good luck and stuff happens makes it fun

cheers

The thing with Skellie Archers is that they're cheap, because they lack Marksman, so a) they're more mobile than most archers because they're not sitting around to get that extra shot, and b) there's usually more of them. Our local Necro player commonly brings ten or so to a 1000-point game.

It's actually a quite advantageous way of handling it. Not only do you get more figures, which makes it harder for the enemy to kill them all, but each one lost is only half as many points lost as anyone else's archers.

Brilliant bit of design work. We hates them, my precious, we hatessss them forever.

All melee elf force is nice for fun, but my basic theory on wargames is that if something has a minimum, you take that many and if something has a maximum, you take that many. Elven SA are mostly built for their archers, so failing to take any or a decent amount, you may as well play a free company and gain diversity as your SA.

If you look at the elves, the first thing you notice is that Werner Klocke's figs rock! Next you see that there are a few characters you want in and Vale Archers are a bargain. In addition to that, you can get reasonably cheap solo in Centaurs and the centaurs can keep getting back up via the bandage as long as you don't see dwarves across the table.

The melee troops are necessary, but mostly to fill out minimum troop requirements to allow you to bring Lysette, Caerwynn and Niriodel along with your archer contingent. Elves are blessed wiht a sgt with an elite slot. Arnise is a must and can allow you to have lots of archers, a wizard, a cleric amd a ninja sniper all on the table even at 1000 point builds. Elves are sweet!

And see, I was going to be all nice to you, having felt similar pain.

But now...

NYAH NYAH. Kindling the Treeman got killed by a bag of bones :lol:

Pete took down my Hill Giant in similar fashion with two 10's by Overlord Spearmen.

I felt your pain.

But it's more fun when it's someone else :poke:

All melee elf force is nice for fun, but my basic theory on wargames is that if something has a minimum, you take that many and if something has a maximum, you take that many. Elven SA are mostly built for their archers, so failing to take any or a decent amount, you may as well play a free company and gain diversity as your SA.

If you look at the elves, the first thing you notice is that Werner Klocke's figs rock! Next you see that there are a few characters you want in and Vale Archers are a bargain. In addition to that, you can get reasonably cheap solo in Centaurs and the centaurs can keep getting back up via the bandage as long as you don't see dwarves across the table.

The melee troops are necessary, but mostly to fill out minimum troop requirements to allow you to bring Lysette, Caerwynn and Niriodel along with your archer contingent. Elves are blessed wiht a sgt with an elite slot. Arnise is a must and can allow you to have lots of archers, a wizard, a cleric amd a ninja sniper all on the table even at 1000 point builds. Elves are sweet!

Oh, I know the where the elves' strength lays and I could have done a freelance force for diversity's sake, but I'm a purist at heart. Besides it was an experiment.

I will tweak it and try again.

I know you know as I am watching your HQ totals. ;)

I was speaking to the general audience as I've seen people suggest that taking a lot of Vale Archers is not ideal. I dispute that and claim that they are the best bang for your buck in the game.

I was speaking to the general audience as I've seen people suggest that taking a lot of Vale Archers is not ideal. I dispute that and claim that they are the best bang for your buck in the game.

Dartiir used to take as many Vale Archers as he could pack on the board, until cavalry came out. Then he never had enough fighters to get the horsies off his archers. Now he brings as many archers as he can protect.

PS

Dartiir used to take as many Vale Archers as he could pack on the board, until cavalry came out. Then he never had enough fighters to get the horsies off his archers. Now he brings as many archers as he can protect.

PS

Yeah, I had to subcontract out to the Soprano's and get involved in the protection racket.

Yo' two-toes use got a problem wit dat?

Capt. C and I were playing a 750 pt. game last night. He was playing Necropolis and I was using my elves. I tried something different and built an all melee force, with a little magic support from Lysette. Without going into a long drawn out battle report, towards the end Mossbeard burts through the trees and charges the archers, he gets into b2b with three of them and clobbers them, and on defensive strikes, well they hack him apart....Capt. C rolled three 10s. Then on their activation the remaining archers fill him with arrows and he falls, only to be couped by Malek.

SKELETAL ARCHERS..................BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry::grr::angry::grr::angry::grr::angry::grr::angry::grr:

I will try the all melee elves agian but maybe try the :ph34r: approach.

Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

I love my skeletal archers, even without marksman. Just not against Reptus.

And I've had the "I'll whack you with my crooked stick" defensive strike work out pretty well in the past.

I was playing a 2000 pointer and managed to get my Khong-to in amongst the skeeters. He had already killed his own weight (or there abouts) so getting him up to the archers was just a plus. When he got there he manged to kill 3, and then got beat down by defensive strikes. The meanest melee model in the game (3 attacks, MAV 5, Firststrike) got beat through the floor by a couple of goblins with crooked sticks.