Discussion on "Wife Swap" 3/13 episode

Orchid_Noir

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without having wasted the time to watch the episode, my standard 3 questions for both the Living RenFair folks and the Swapped would be:

1. At what point, precisely, did this extreme behavior start to sound like a good idea to you?
  2. What planet are you from?
  3. When will the mothership arrive to take you home?

• Like 1

Well I watched Wifeswap last night to see the Reaper minis (being used for an RPG, any idea what system they were playing?), and I was horrified when the new wife smashed a mini with a hammer and threatened to smash more if the family mentioned the middle ages! It's not the miniature's fault! Oh the humanity!

<MOD>

we are going to be kind to the actual participants of the show and not attack them as individuals.

just because their lifestyle choices are not our own, does not mean they are wrong.

</MOD>

A lot of people misunderstand gamers, none of us would wish the unkind things to be said about us...

I can understand something like "everytime one of you crazy peasants annoys me with your "medieval talk", you have to scrub a toilet , do the dishes, do 100 push-ups, or perform some sort of tiring or degrading action." But destroying thier possessions? That seems a bit far. That is permanent damage. Once you clean the toilet a few timnes, your lesson will be learned, but you can't fix a ripped shirt, broken plate, or a smashed mini.

I don't think it the fact that she broke a miniature in particular that bothers me so. It is instead the kind of attitude which condones that behavior.

Really, what do you expect from a show named something like "Wife Swap"?

It was originally a show in the UK called "Trading Spouses". Our "Trading Spaces" was also a show originally in the UK called "Changing Rooms". Just a bit of an FYI.

I didn't watch Wife Swap because it cuts into my PVR'ed "Daily Show" and "Colbert Report" time :D

<MOD>

we are going to be kind to the actual participants of the show and not attack them as individuals.

just because their lifestyle choices are not our own, does not mean they are wrong.

</MOD>

A lot of people misunderstand gamers, none of us would wish the unkind things to be said about us...

There is much to be said about a "Live and let live" mentality - I think more people should adopt this attitude.

I am also saddened to see certain stereotypes played off for entertainment or as a "Freak show" Lots of gamers I know are very well balanced and down to earth people who are rather uncomfortable mentioning their hobby because of the stigma attached to it by a certain fanatical few. It's just another form of prejudice and bigotry - but it still exists.

• Like 1