Cav players in western pa

Daley's Dragoons

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, D

I am in Lancaster, PA; still a little out of your way but aside from anyone in Ohio, I'm probably one the closer players to you; also Erion is in Harrisburg. We could arrange something sooner or later where we can meet halfway, and arrange something once in a while.

I run some sessions but there's not nearly enough players here with more than a passing interest in CAV, so I can sympathize with you. Im constantly trying to find new ways to generate long term interest, so hence the Tolucan Deathmatches are born.

Just Email me with some names for a CAV crew, along with some basic info, name age, ETC ETC; and I'll include you in our list of characters, for whenever you can get to one of our matches. We'll work something out to meet somewhere.

Thanks Kamut, will do that real soon. I really appreciate the offer considering the lack of players around here!

Keep trying to start up interest around here, but the nearest local stores were less than receptive about doing a demo in their stores (the one is a staunch GW supporter) so even trying to generate interest via BL events is even a no go right now. Which really stinks, I woudl think that anything that might bring players into a store creates the possibility of them buying something, even if it isn't what the demo product is! But what do I know...only been in retail forever so its not like I have any idea of what I am talking about.

Finding brick wall and bouncing head off of.

:oo:

Over here it's Poke Mech dark ages that these stores around here are trying to sink their teeth into. (yeah, I called it that!) and the general gaming age is a little on the kiddie side.

I had one guy put his limited edition plastic Ryuken (60 tons)next to my rhino, then he dared to say the MWDA models (they are N scale, mind you)were beefier. Well, I had an N-scale Leopard tank (60 tons) and explained to him, that for a mech to be as big as that N scale model and still be scaled to 60 tons, it would have to have armor made of cardboard, especially compared to a 110 ton Rhino. MWDA models are toys in my eyes, and really don't represent Battletech; and the Ironwind metals Shadowcat with a right hand doesn't inspire me either.

Needless to say, he got my point, in typically ruthless fashion. Don't get me wrong, I like classic battletech, but this clicky stuff tries my last nerve. Bear in mind, aside from gaming, I enjoy creating dioramas for my troops when they are not in use, hence the N scale railroad,in my attic I'm building into FT Wolf.

I work with The Comic Store (Lancaster, PA) to put these demos out; Joe's been pretty good about making sure he keeps up with the CAV stock, even if my family are among the few actually buying the stuff.

I guess I don't really understand why people are so violently anti click-tech.

I played Mage Knight for a couple years and had quite a good time with it despite its many flaws. (Only to completely abandon the game when I was introduced to CAV.)

I guess I view click-tech players more as poor unfortunates who don't know what they're missing, rather than as some hated sub-race.  I've actually managed to bring a few over to the right side of things.

I actually thought the click-base was a great idea when WK first anounced it.  RaveZero and I wasted many a day at work PM'ing back and forth about what cool ways that WK could improve BattleTech and make it more streamlined.  For the past decade FASA had been making the game larger and larger (used to be a Heavy lance could hold an entire planet, by the end, everyone had an RCT), I had actually hoped they'd go for an epic scale game with smaller minis or entire lances on one click base.

What we got instead is what makes me dislike the game:  crappy, cheap plastic models.  Paint jobs that wouldn't pass muster on a hotwheels car.  Ranged combat that's next to worthless.  

And then of course there's the collectable aspect.  Anyone who's been in gaming can tell you that with the exception of Magic, collectable games don't last more than a couple of years, tops.  WizKids knows that.  They're already publishing books to try and get the MW'ers into CBT and vice versa.

So what happens to the MW players when the trend dies off or they want something more?  Hopefully we'll be able to pull them over to CAV.  :;):

It not that I hate the players of click games, but like Chrome said, I really did not like the turn BT ended up taking. The figures are cheap looking with paint jobs even worse than mine (which is saying something).  I really hate the idea of the 'collectible' factor when I am trying to build a force out of specific troop types. I do not want to spend my time search ebay for a troop type when I could be painting and gaming with it.

Not to mention my deep seated distain for hands on a combat mech...looks silly and a waste of a perfectly good hard point.

Yeah

even the casted CBT mini's are showing up with hands now, which made me revolt. My first contact with Battletech was through the Mech Warrior 2 PC game, so my tendacy is to go with the classic mechs I know, like the Thor (My all time favorite mech), Vulture or another favorite, the Uziel. (at least, you can't screw those old bangers up; I hope)

Now I see more and more floss taking place of the real meat and potatoes, not to mention, I wont touch an Unseen. It's funny, but CAV is more like Battletech than MWDA; and unfortunately, It seems like WK is deliberately trying to cater to the kiddie's; So imagine how I feel when I have some young buck explaining to me, I am Clan Wolf, blah, blah blah.

Son, I was hittin off Zelbrigin-style, before these clowns even knew what a mech was. and I'm sure I am not the only one. It seems like thats the way here in Pennsylvania.

But to answer soul catchers question-

nothing is really wrong with Mage knight, or even hero clicks, (if your into that kind of thing) But Battletech was already established, long before any of these other systems- To me, MWDA plays like Mage knight, only with robots instead of fantasy figures. It has nothing to do with the mechwarrior itself, considering the pilot and mech represent one static figure, so there is no chance of individual upgrade or advancement, like the CAV crew; and if you want to improve your unit, you have to BUY more booster packs; great marketing scheme considering around here you can pick up a booster kit at Toys R US

I was always partial to Mad Cats, Riflemen, and Warhammers myself. I cringe when I see the redesigned mech.

Yeah, I remember playing back when the cardboard standies with the plastic bases were all you had. But even back then you still could upgrade your piloting and weapon skills to help vary the game. Your point about BT arleady being an established game hits the nail on the head. Put MWDA infront of an 'old timer' (yeah I fall into that cat.) with out the name and they would have no idea what he or she was playing was the latest version of the original. Even with all the rule changes with the arrival of the Clan and the following wars, you always new that the core rules had not changed.

Well one company's loss is Reaper's gain!

The comic store is trying to run out its Ral Partha CBT stock, I just bought a Warhammer, Hellswpawn and Sunder for keepsakes. The rest of the stock seem like a mixed bag of older and newer stuff. I also picked up some of the older source books, battle technology books and stuff, cause I figure they won't be released again, ever.

What I think we should do, is try to consolidate all the Penny CAV gamers across the state and maybe come up with a way to take CAV to an audience like never before. You see, my idea is to be able to coordinate with the city or county and present a game like CAV as a alternate to getting involved with drugs and such.

A program called "My addiction"

In the neighborhood I reside, young cats are getting shot up by the dozens almost on a daily basis, It's really bad. Most end up in the county prison, were they are exposed to guess what, CHESS. Thats real big in the jails. So when I have presented some guys with CAV, and it's gameplay, their responce is "Yo, that tight!" (positive response). When I can get everything together and the time is right, I plan to set up a 8x12 table(s) in the YMCA gym one day and run an all day campaign.

I think if you want more exposure for a gaming system, you have to bring to the people who need the diversion the most. I think CAV is simple enough for anyone to understand, and the models are very respectable; (they wont get looked at as toys) I think CBT is a little too complicated to get people who have never played a tabletop wargame, started  while MWDA is too cheesey to keep people interested longer than a few weeks

In the long run, the ideal would be Kids play Poke mech, Real men play killer chess.

Thats just it;

Its more then what I can handle at this point; In just few months, I have an easy 500.00 in merchandise, divided between my wife (A Spear),my brother (B Spear)and myself. My best friend in Easton can only do so much,even though I'm building a spear (Zulu Spear)for him. the way I envision it, its something that has to be attacked in several locations across the state at approximately the same time.

Then people hear about it, maybe even put it out in the news or something- excellent promo for Reaper; our units each represent various tribes, would open up a thought towards civil rights issues. I have to be able to coordinate something like this with others, or else its a one shot deal.