Are you paint particular?

All I want out of the figs is for them to look cool, regardless of color. If you can pull off having your entire goblin force be glow-in-the-dark pink, with purple swords, then more power to you! I guarantee you'd be the talk of the tournament!! ::):

While I joke about having weird colors on figs, I normally want more traditional looking colors (maybe a dark red or something) while still having a "cool" look to them. :B):

Wild Bill :blues:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to go off a bit. My Crusaders wear blue, but it's a turquoise color. I had Ultra-Marineish blue in my head, but as I painted my firts Templars, I realized they looked real plain. The lighter, faintly green blue works much better. 'Course, I get a lot of laughs about my 'Powder Blue" Crusaders. But only until they have some of thier guys mercied. Then they don't laugh.

First, a qualifier: I came to the conclusion several years ago that I will never be the painter I want to be (or would even be satisfied being), and so have given up that enterprise entirely. So, I've passed all my painting work off to people more talented than I. I still hold out hope that I will become good enough at sculpting to be able to manage decent base-work and conversions. ;)

Having said that, I have a large number of Reptus. My first group were painted very traditional Reptus green (with accent colors on the scales across the top of their heads to demonstrate a bit of heirachy or caste status), but I use those as lizard-man type creatures for my table-top RPG, so the green is warranted there. I am currently having my tournament army painted up blue with orange accents (see my avatar for an example of one of my clutchlings), and I frankly don't care if anyone doesn't like them on the battlefield. They are, after all, *MY* army, which I have to stare at battle after battle. I want them to be something that I'll enjoy. If my opponent has that big of an issue that my figs are green like those on the Reptus cards, then they need a serious reality check... and I'll be glad to put one in the mail to them. ;)

For whomever commented about purrple leezards (yes, you must *purr* when you say that color), I love the idea and wish I'd thought of it (or at least heard it in time to have mine done that way). In the right shade of purrple, they would not look Barney-like in the least and would be quite striking (aesthetically and in game terms ::D: ). Yellow or gold accents from the other side of the color wheel would create a high-contrast scheme that would certainly get notice. I like it!

~v

I tend to paint color schemes that appeal to what I like. I happen to like the color blue a lot. I also loves my shineys (i.e. metallic paints). Yeah, I know, I'm a heathen, infidel, blasphemer, heretic, etc., for preferring the use of metallic paints over NMM. :lol:

Anyway, my Overlords use a darker gold for their armor with dark green for their robes/tabards/tunics/skirts. I've had some people confuse them for Crusaders at first glance.

I just acquired my Elven force and I'm considering a blue and silver color scheme for them. In fact, I think I will use the Ritterlich Blue that I bought in anticipation of my Ritterlich CAV2 army.

Being partially colorblind, the hardest part of the whole painting process for me is picking the confounded colors to use on the mini in the first place. Thus, I tend to follow what's on the box unless I have a very particular idea what I want to do.

Hrm, that gives me an idea (which anyone can borrow and beat me to the punch on)... we should have an MSP "color choices thread" somewhere out there (painting tips & tricks I suppose).

Red, Gold, Black

Blue Gold White

Red, Gold, White

Blue & Silver

Blue & Silver & Black

Rust & Yellows

Green & Yellow

Purple and Teal ( ::D: )

Brown & Black

Brown & Beige

Okee... Hrm... I need to think about an easy way to do this... probably go buy a ton of the muscled armatures & prime 'em and paint 'em with MSP's and make a gallery out of it...

Is that idea appealing to anyone?

Okee,

Okee... Hrm... I need to think about an easy way to do this... probably go buy a ton of the muscled armatures & prime 'em and paint 'em with MSP's and make a gallery out of it...

A suggestion that I saw somewhere (Brushthralls?) is to take an illustration of the mini (or artist concept) and then use Photoshop to "color" the mini in appropriate color combinations to try them out. A little tougher than it sounds if you don't have the color equivalents (in RGB) values for the paints and it can be a little whacky if the color representation on your monitor is off, but the idea is there at any rate.

Ron

Yah, I've gotta figure out how to make flashplayer images. I recently got the color wheel pro application & you can define color schemes & then just spin the dial to paint the image layers... very very cool feature.

All the default images are logos & even then I am getting some good ideas... helps me use colors I forget to use...

I get my paints and paint a little picture of the scheme as I want it to be, using the actual paints because I suck at colour matching.

On the topic of bizarre paint schemes:

http://www.dragonrealm.com/exlibrismortis/...istersArmy.html

That's just awesome! That's the way to do a pink army!

BTW - I'm glad my brains tasted good. :poke:

Being partially colorblind, the hardest part of the whole painting process for me is picking the confounded colors to use on the mini in the first place. Thus, I tend to follow what's on the box unless I have a very particular idea what I want to do.

Great moment at a FLGS last summer: a paint & take where I met a completely colorblind gentleman. He was using the paints handed to him by his 3-year old son, working on a dwarf in a riot of mostly fluorescent colors. They were having a great time, father and son, working it out just the way the little guy wanted his dwarf to look. This sort of opened my eyes a bit on several levels. I left the store thinking, "Family. That's the important part. The rest is just paint. Besides, the customer is always right...especially when he's 3."

Now, if only I could really learn the rest of that lesson -- whatever makes you happy -- maybe I could get some painting done. ^_^

Yah, I've gotta figure out how to make flashplayer images. I recently got the color wheel pro application & you can define color schemes & then just spin the dial to paint the image layers... very very cool feature.

You might want to try out Color Schemer Studio as well. I picked up both in late November to do several color scheme concepts for a web app. Both are useful in slightly different ways. The Color Schemer Studio app has a very useful feature which can attempt to pick out a color scheme based on the colors in an image.

Ron

You could paint them up in simple superhero outfits. Presto! Reaper has a line of minis for supers characters. :;):