How High is a Level

Some of the guys and I were discussing some terrain building projects. The topic of how big is a level came up again. We have discussed it before, and have never reached a definate answer. We understand what a level is, and how they work. None of us have been able to find, however, a conclusive answer to just how big a level is. Are they an inch high? Two Inches? Does anybody know?

Castlebuilder

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Standard convention seems to be 1" per level, but that doesn't mean that it has to be that way. Since terrain rules are determined at the start of the game, there's quite a bit of flexibility.

There's nothing really carved in stone.

Sorry, couldn't resist ::P:

We have discussed using an inch as the standard at our shop, but that seems pretty short. We have used some fairly tall towers (imaging that ::o: ), and with the increase of several inches for being up in the tower it really affects archery. Two inches seems more acceptable to me, but I'm curious what others are using and if there is some official ruling that I've missed.

Castlebuilder

Well, it depends. For hills, 1" functionally and visually works well. However, for forests and structures, 2" is far more realistic. A decently tall tree, compared to a person, is at least three times as tall as they are--which is why forests are level 3. However, 3" tall trees don't quite look impressive enough...so in that case, I'd make it closer to 1.5/2 inches.

So, basically, it depends on what the terrain is. 1" or 3/4" is the biggest you can use for a hill or it becomes all slope...but you can get away with nearly double that for structures, forests, or just Really Big Things, whatever they may be.

Base sizes are categorized similiarly to the terrain, so we try to make them match up.

A 1" base is a Category 1 size. So for Category 1 walls we have them 1" tall.

We also have 1.5" tall walls(Category 2) and 2" rock formations.(Category 3)

If a model has the Small SA they would be considered a Category 0, or .5". And we have some terrain for that but it's rarely used.

We should do this the same way for hills, but because of cost and such we stick with 1" increments. .5" wouldn't be a bad idea, but I would almost always start with a 1" base, because it is what will affect most models.

What it comes down to is the size Category you determine the terrain to be. Having a standard is nice, that's why we try to align it with the base sizes, but it's not always practical such as using the foam we have for making hills. Just be sure the category is agreed on before the game starts.