Newbie here: What is Warlord?

What is Warlord, how do you play, and what do you need in order to play? Can I get started on a few dollars, or will I need hundreds of figures? Is the game appropriate for young children (8-10 yrs), or is it more of a teens and adults thing? Anything else that you think a new/potential player should learn would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How to play: a little complicated, but here's a really (REALLY) brief summary of the basic game mechanic-

Dice are used to determine the results of things like combat and spells. For Warlord we use 10 sided dice. You roll the dice, add in the appropriate skill (Melee skill, Magic skill, whatever) and if you beat the appropriate defense stat you succeed.

You need: some 10 sided dice, some 6 sided dice (keeping track of wounds), measuring implement, and models to represent your troops. There is a gallery at http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/warlord that shows the models for the game (but feel free to use proxies, I know I do).

Number of figs: depends on game size. The Starter sets include around 10 to 12 models and that's enough for small games.

Money: Basic starter (for 1 player)-$39.95. There are Deluxe Starters that go for $69.95 but have more included. There is also a two player starter for $69.95. These are the quickest way to get started. Models themselves can range from $5 (single characters) to around $14 (packs of troops) to $30 (big critters).

Age: Depends on what you mean by appropriate. There isn't graphic horror or things like that. I'd say about 12+ (in my very unofficial opinion).

The basic rule is:

Roll a d10 (ten sided die). You will add and subtract from that roll depending on what you are doing (Example: you are making a melee attack- Add your Melee Attack Value ((MAV))) If you equal or exceed a target number (for Melee, it's the models Defense Value (DV)) you hit. A hit causes 1 point of damage - as represented by the various tracks. A model that is woulded operated on the track # corresponding to the # of wounds they have taken. If youmake it run out of tracks, it's stunned or dead.

It takes about 10 minutes to learn how to use the cards and move the models, and the rest of the time is spent perfecting builds, strategy,and tactics!

Oh - and having fun!

Is the game appropriate for young children (8-10 yrs), or is it more of a teens and adults thing?

I believe it depends on the child and the other players he/she'll be playing with.

We regularly demo to kids in the 8-10 range and aside from childhood enthusiasm, we have no problems with their ability to learn the game and respect the materials. Younger than that we find the math skills often are lacking and attention span is too short.

Depending on the army chosen, you might find something that isn't age appropriate. And if you're a stickler about bare breasts, definitely look into the models of the child's army.

There are only two or so models where nudity is a concern; Ashakia from Darkspawn and Fatima from Nefsokar are the only ones I can think of.

For kids, I think Dwarves, Elves, Crusaders, Reven, and Reptus are all pretty "safe" in the nudity department. Necropolis is PG (Naomi, Banshee), Darkspawn might be PG-13, Nefsokar too (for Fatima). Mercs and Overlords I'm not sure without looknig at pics again, but I think they're all right.

For young kids, I would stay away from Overlords, because, well, they're slavers... could be a hot issue with some of the kids' parents. ("You shall make an excellent slave" and "Death is the only freedom" sure woulda freaked out my parents.)

Mercs should be fine.

If you have girls playing, your best bets for armies for girls are probably elves and mercs due to the number of female characters. Yeah, Crusaders have some female characters, but most of them are nuns, and quite possibly therefore not as appealing to girls who'd be willing to give Warlord a shot.

............ Yeah, Crusaders have some female characters, but most of them are nuns, and quite possibly therefore not as appealing to girls who'd be willing to give Warlord a shot.

Maybe not appealing to the young girls, but a very appealing role model for the teenage girls father..... ::P:

I don't think that I would recommend Elves for a rookie player. They are an effective army, but a little hard to play without expereince.

Castlebuilder

QUOTE(axegrrl @ Mar 21 2006, 07:41 PM) *

............ Yeah, Crusaders have some female characters, but most of them are nuns, and quite possibly therefore not as appealing to girls who'd be willing to give Warlord a shot.

Maybe not appealing to the young girls, but a very appealing role model for the teenage girls father..... tongue.gif

I don't think that I would recommend Elves for a rookie player. They are an effective army, but a little hard to play without expereince.

Castlebuilder

if my memory serves me correctly, those nuns are wearing thongs...

no inside joke, It's just that the only battlenuns I have seen were wearing "fantasy chick" thongs. I don't know if that was a conversion, but it's what they were wearing.

edit: here are some of the nuns. None of our players have any nuns, so this is all I have to go on ::D:

Of the ones in that thread...

#1: Lady Krystyanna: Armored and fully clothed.

#2: "Ironspines". These are modifications of non-Warlord figures.

#3: Knights/Unforgiven: Again, modifications of non-Warlord figures.

#4: Mage/Familiar: Another non-Warlord figure.

#5: Majeda/Novitiates: The actual Battle Nun figures.

The ones in thongs are NOT Warlord figures.