Newbie here: What is Warlord?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I understand now, Moosey. You're right; any other time I've seen nun miniatures before, they've been of the more lascivious type. The ones you've seen probably weren't Warlord ones. The Warlord ones are dressed respectably in traditional habits and it would take some HEAVY modding to turn them into thongs.

(Edit: I was a little slow to post the above.)

To address the topic of appropriateness, fluff-wise, I think the Crusaders would be very appropriate for younger kids who are still very impressionable and still in the relatively early stages of developing an understanding of right and wrong. I love what Reaper (Anne) has created in terms of a background for this army. They are among my most favorite good-guy army/set of characters ever, across all game systems, stories, movies, books, etc.!

To quote from the faction book:

"My fellow warriors, remember always to do what is right, let the consequences follow."

-Duke Gerard, the famous "Do what is right" sermon

Good stuff! :bday:

Gee-whiz...NO love for the Reven as a good army for the young'uns?

Okay so a few of 'em are a little bit evil... and the ogres wear thongs, but they're FUN to play with. They embody everything that is great about childhood.. like ..um.. smashing stuff..and mindless violence..and smashing up more stuff.

HOW could a kid not identify with that? Huh?

But there IS the lack of Revenly female role-models. I don't know which would scare me more, my li'l girl wanting to be like Kiakara..or like Greka.

As far as a good all-around starter army for kids. I'd probably recommend Dwarves over even the Crusaders. Dwarves are cool..and loveable..and fun to paint....and they got Shieldmaidens too.

Reptus might also make a good army for younger kids. They are presented as having a strong sense of tradition and loyalty to one another, and their warrior culture is mostly aimed at self-defense. From a tactical point of view they are a well-rounded army. The only downside I see in them is that several of their figures have spikey bits, so you may want to consider wehther your child has the dexterity to handle them without injuries.

Gee-whiz...NO love for the Reven as a good army for the young'uns?

Okay so a few of 'em are a little bit evil... and the ogres wear thongs, but they're FUN to play with. They embody everything that is great about childhood.. like ..um.. smashing stuff..and mindless violence..and smashing up more stuff.

HOW could a kid not identify with that? Huh?

But there IS the lack of Revenly female role-models. I don't know which would scare me more, my li'l girl wanting to be like Kiakara..or like Greka.

As far as a good all-around starter army for kids. I'd probably recommend Dwarves over even the Crusaders. Dwarves are cool..and loveable..and fun to paint....and they got Shieldmaidens too.

I think Crusaders & Reven would be a good set to play against each other with kids. It's got that "Gondor/Mordor" feel to it, there's a relatively low cheesecake factor in both, and they are two of the more developed lines so far (lots of models, faction books, etc.).

I think Crusaders & Reven would be a good set to play against each other with kids. It's got that "Gondor/Mordor" feel to it, there's a relatively low cheesecake factor in both, and they are two of the more developed lines so far (lots of models, faction books, etc.).

Agreed.

As for the Reptus, the fluff DOES include eating humans. Some parents might be a bit touchy about that.

Another point against Darkspawn being kid friendly is the broken fodder orc is a bit... unpleasant. Even I would be a bit hesitant to give that to a child, and I'm about as far from the traditional "family values" type person as you can find.

Nefsokar might be educational in that it might encourage kids to look into ancient egypt (if your kid is mature enough to look at Fatima and see more than breasts).

About the starter sets:

The Deluxe Faction box sets say they come with paints, but the 2-player Deluxe Army Box and the individual army Starter Boxes make no mention of paints at all, so is it assumed that you'll buy the paints separately, or do these "beginner sets" come pre-painted?

Nefsokar might be educational in that it might encourage kids to look into ancient egypt (if your kid is mature enough to look at Fatima and see more than breasts).

Heh. I'm in my mid-twenties, and I ain't mature enough to look past that. ::D:

About the starter sets:

The Deluxe Faction box sets say they come with paints, but the 2-player Deluxe Army Box and the individual army Starter Boxes make no mention of paints at all, so is it assumed that you'll buy the paints separately, or do these "beginner sets" come pre-painted?

You will find on the back of the starter boxes:

Figures supplied unpainted. Some assembly required. Paint and brushes not included.

You will need to buy the paints seperately.

What the Deluxe Starter Box has is two armies (Crusaders & Necropolis) and the core rule book. The Deluxe faction boxes have the one faction, paints, and the faction book (plus dice & stuff).