Alright, here's my dilemma.

I started playing Warlord a few weeks ago and have now played four games, and lost all of them miserably save for the last one in which there were no models save for my oponant's Pagoda of Jade left on the battlefield. And for the record, my only oponant to date has been a Reptus player.

In each battle my choices of models have varied, though it's always been a force of mercs with some bull orc archers using the 'Change of Heart' SA.

My only MVP of any of the games was Leisynn with two fireballs to take out close formations of Reptus warriors and clutchlings (nearly 150 points per fireball of dead models)

I've used Orba at times, I've also tried the Lupine Lord being teleported by the Shaman to do things, and I keep losing.

So...suggestions...tricks...ideas...hypothetical situations...wishes of good luck....anything?

Weltrath

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck!

What models do you have to work with?

Other than that, avoid the Trolls?

Orba, Sigurd, Grundor, Lupine Lord, Lupine Shaman, Leisynn, Lorielle, a Guardian Angel, 4 Ragers, 6 Bull Orc Archers, Proxies of 8 warriors, 6 breakers and 4 spearmen because I despise the merc sculpts.

I'm planning on picking up Nicole and some Bladesisters in the next week or two.

Being a Reptus player and reading Shakendara's post in the Reptus thread, I will say you are on the right track. Shak is a viscious player and good at putting together forces. As I see it, your only flaw so far as I can tell is taking Orba. Orba is a melee powerhouse until he gets hit and then he falls fast. He has a pretty sad defense making him a gamble to take. You may look into using some crossbowmen. They are cheap and can take a toll on fast moving soft troops such as clutchlings, breakers of rangers. You are definately on the right track. Use plenty of models and avoid super characters, they are a common pitfall. Keep fighting and you will soon find your stratagies yeilding results.

-Dr. J

Good luck!

Orba, Sigurd, Grundor, Lupine Lord, Lupine Shaman, Leisynn, Lorielle, a Guardian Angel, 4 Ragers, 6 Bull Orc Archers, Proxies of 8 warriors, 6 breakers and 4 spearmen because I despise the merc sculpts.

I'm planning on picking up Nicole and some Bladesisters in the next week or two.

How many points?

You look to have a reasonable mix of units, tho I suggest using the Merc Xbows (go ahead and proxy, I don't care...) especially with the Bull Orcs to cover you while you get in range.

Think about how your forces are balanced pointwise. How many points are you spending in grunts? Leaders? Elites? Solos? If your only solo is a Guardian Angel you should get yourself a Minotaur. Cheap, hefty, initiative card.

Think about some harder (high DV) grunts for Change of Heart. Nothing wrong with Bull Orc Archers, but also consider Tomb Guards (or Shieldmaidens, but without the Dwarf abilities they are a little slow). There's also Artemis the Huntress, which is a pretty sucky model, but is about the cheapest sgt in the game.

Get back to us with some more detailed breakdowns, and we'll help you out.

PS

Trust me, I know Shakandara is a vicious player and also very good at picking out highly effective armies. For only having a few games under his belt he's damn good at strategy and tactics. My only excuse is that I'm still learning and I had played two games against him withoug the benefit of having my own rulebook so I had no idea what anything of his was capable of doing while he could view all of my models' stats at a glance.

Since I haven't said it yet, my first few games were 750, then we've moved up to 1000 and soon we'll be doing 1500.

I have yet to actually use the Angel that I have, and a minotaur is something I want to pick up as well for the init card as well as the fact he's not a bad soloist, possiblt Kyla as another soloist. I have an Artemis ordered already to have a cheap sgt. model, for now I use Sigurd mostly in a melee group.

I've started considering better archers, maybe elves or maybe Overlord crossbowmen other than the merc ones...but I might break down and get the merc ones as well and go with a heavy hitting breaker unit from another army. From what I've seen merc non-named models are 'average' all around, they aren't the best, not necessarily the worst, just well-rounded and they do the job just not exceptionally.

One of the biggest problems I see in beginners is buying too many expensive characters and adepts, thus not having enough numbers. In Warlord numbers are very important, since anything can be swarmed and killed by numbers. While everyone has a different style, try going for numbers and see if that works. Orba is a tough cookie and the Lupines are awesome, but a horde of grunts have a beauty all their own.

Castlebuilder

Trust me, I know Shakandara is a vicious player and also very good at picking out highly effective armies.

That's comforting: Shakandara invited me to join you guys, and my "available to field" Reven company isn't exactly the most viable yet. So, you may have someone to trounce in a couple of weeks. ::):

Ron

Hey now! I'm not that vicious... ok, well, maybe I am. ;)

In Weltrath's defense, that last battle we fought was a bloodbath. It was ugly, and so tight that one roll could have very easily pushed the battle either direction. In fact, after the first two rounds of fireballs, I was very nearly ready to conceed defeat.

I probably shouldn't say this, but here are the things that I've noticed about his force (thank me for this next Sunday when we play, Erick): the numbers issue most have mentioned is accurate. He's fielded some point-heavy models in every game, even when he was more balanced in the last one. I'd guess that he had 3 models over 100 points in the last game, including some gear enhancements to Orba and the spells on Leisynn and his Shaman. That left him with only about 18-19 models to my ~25. So, even after two nasty fireballs, I still had a good 16 models on the board, including both of my trolls. The second thing I'd comment about is that I've yet to see him use divine favor on a leader. At 10 points, adding effectively one more damage track to your leader is definitely a bang-for-the-buck investment. It can also be a nasty surprise when used on a hero too.

And in my defense, I was letting you use the rulebook whenever you wanted during the first two matches, ElectroBoy. ::P:

~v

The Vicious One

P.S. Boy, am I looking forward to session this week...

From what you have now, this is my suggestion for a 1000 point army (FWIW)...

Troop 1 (480 points)

Lupine Lord

- Divine Favor (yes, smack yourself upside the head - this is a no brainer to take)

Lupine Shaman (take full advantage of his innate: Bless and remember Empowered)

Lupine Rager x4

Spearmen x4

Troop 2 (239 points)

Sigurd

Warriors x 4

Breakers x5

Troop 3 (181 points)

Grundor

Warriors x5 (will have to use one of your proxied Breakers for one of them)

Totem of Battle (100 points)

That may still not be optimal, but it's working with the models you have. Only 3 cards may hurt, since I'm assuming Shakandara probably has 5 or more.

I didn't include the Orc Archers since the "Change of Heart" is technically tied to Orba (although I don't think many players would have a HUGE problem with allowing it). It strikes me that Shak doesn't use many Archers, since the Reptus Archers are pretty pricey for him to have 25 models at 1000 points.

I know it hurts not having offensive spells, but I think you will be better served with the troops (as others have mentioned). Warlord is brutal and dirty...

I included the Shaman for his Bless, but you may want to drop him for some other equpiement. I figure he is a good boost for the Ragers who can't use equipement though (MAV 3 +1 Totem +1 Bless = ouchies, x2). You may want to drop a Breaker to pick up a couple of Bandages for the Shaman. Possibly drop one of the Ragers for Bandages and a Hold, if Shak is fond of fielding the Khonger (he's got a good MD, but if you can catch him with a Hold it is sweet - trust me I've had it done to me when I played Reptus).

I suggest swapping out Grundor with Nicole ASAP, an extra DT plus Tactician is too niiice. I'll second the Minotaur and Artemis for your "to buy" list as well, they will help you even out the disparity in cards (and Mr Maze isn't too shabby either).

That may still not be optimal, but it's working with the models you have. Only 3 cards may hurt, since I'm assuming Shakandara probably has 5 or more.

Depending on the variant that I field, I have from 4-6 initative cards for these 1000 point battles.

I didn't include the Orc Archers since the "Change of Heart" is technically tied to Orba (although I don't think many players would have a HUGE problem with allowing it). It strikes me that Shak doesn't use many Archers, since the Reptus Archers are pretty pricey for him to have 25 models at 1000 points.

Nah, I wouldn't cut him any slack on Orba. If he wants to pick and choose his troops, he has to meet the condition. Between that and the luck rolls they get, his Merc special abilities are vastly better than the Reptus. No slack for him! Mwahahahaaaaa! :devil:

As for the archers, the variants I'm currently testing use anywhere from 3-5 Archers, with a total # of models falling between 23-25.

~v

Good luck!

How many points?

You look to have a reasonable mix of units, tho I suggest using the Merc Xbows (go ahead and proxy, I don't care...) especially with the Bull Orcs to cover you while you get in range.

Think about how your forces are balanced pointwise. How many points are you spending in grunts? Leaders? Elites? Solos? If your only solo is a Guardian Angel you should get yourself a Minotaur. Cheap, hefty, initiative card.

Think about some harder (high DV) grunts for Change of Heart. Nothing wrong with Bull Orc Archers, but also consider Tomb Guards (or Shieldmaidens, but without the Dwarf abilities they are a little slow). There's also Artemis the Huntress, which is a pretty sucky model, but is about the cheapest sgt in the game.

Get back to us with some more detailed breakdowns, and we'll help you out.

PS

If Tomb Guard are an option, the standard Overlord Warrior is so even more. DV 11, MAV 2 for 21 points. Very hard to beat such a deal. Sure, they move only 5 and their discipline isn't great, but they are good at what they do. Alternatively, you could enhance the Reven component you already have (and without Orba you're playing basically Freelance anyway) and use the Reven Warriors, Hunters and maybe Lesser Orc Spearmen; all are good, in my opinion.

Hmmm...

Troop 1 (Skirmish)

Lupine Lord - move fast and abuse blowthrough. Consider enhancing the RAV

Lupine Shaman - bless for free and a few bandages, maybe a Hold.

Lupine Rager *2

Bull Orc Archer *6 - make one a musician. Can double as melee troops in a pinch

Troop 2 (Melee)

Nicole of the Blade

Leisynn - Firestorm, Scare *2, Ice Shard *2

Warriors (type of your choice) *6

Spearmen (type of your choice) *2

[bull Orc Hunters are an alternative for either]

Troop 3 (Ranged)

Sigurd - Dingo Appledimple might work better, if you have him

Mercenary Crossbowmen *6

Warriors (type of your choice) *2

Troop 4 (Flanking)

Minotaur

Troop 5 (Flanking)

Another solo - maybe Uru or a Centaur

That should easily cover 1,000 points, and with some fiddling maybe more.

If Tomb Guard are an option, the standard Overlord Warrior is so even more. DV 11, MAV 2 for 21 points. Very hard to beat such a deal. Sure, they move only 5 and their discipline isn't great, but they are good at what they do. Alternatively, you could enhance the Reven component you already have (and without Orba you're playing basically Freelance anyway) and use the Reven Warriors, Hunters and maybe Lesser Orc Spearmen; all are good, in my opinion.

Not Overlords, Tombguards. ::D:

Tombguards have DIS 9, so you can shoot into melee without a problem. Tombguards have Deflect. Tombguards are 5 more points. Tombguards are your friend. ::P:

PS