Resin Battlemechs

Wreckmaster

I will never buy a cav with resin parts! :angry: I remember the crap that Ral Partha put out for battletech in resin. I will never torture myself to that again. Poorly cast, hard to work with, and wouldn't hold onto paint.

Never Again. :angry:

Anyway I prefer the taste of pewter over resin any day. ::P:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never buy a cav with resin parts! :angry: I remember the crap that Ral Partha put out for battletech in resin. I will never torture myself to that again. Poorly cast, hard to work with, and wouldn't hold onto paint.

Anyway I prefer the taste of pewter of resin any day. ::P:

Those CBT miniatures were not resin, they were cheap plastic. there are real differences between the two....(see the forge world miniatures for warhamster)

They were plastic not resin. They were tough to paint if you actually belived you didn't have to prime them. If you primed them it wasnt so bad

Those CBT miniatures were not resin, they were cheap plastic. there are real differences between the two....(see the forge world miniatures for warhamster)

Have to agree with Ivarr, I have used ForgeWorlds resin kits multiple times, and I also have a large Flames of War US collection, resin is nothing like plastic. Resin can hold amazing detail, and if used for large parts like torsos or leg assemblies can be very sturdy. Flames of War uses resin for the bodies and turrets of their tanks and metal for the guns and tracks.

Tannhauser , I don't know what kind of problems you have had w/ battlefront minis, but aside from prying the turrets off when I first open the blister pack I haven't had any problems w/ the resin. I have heard of problems with it from others, maybe I have been lucky.

Tannhauser , I don't know what kind of problems you have had w/ battlefront minis, but aside from prying the turrets off when I first open the blister pack I haven't had any problems w/ the resin. I have heard of problems with it from others, maybe I have been lucky.

The problem I had was with a pack of five Shermans. To get the tracks to fit on, I had to trim away some excess resin. Instead of carving away nicely like plastic or Forgeworld's resin, it chipped/broke off, sometimes taking more than I want to remove.

They made a series of cheap grey plastic minis, they are not what I am refering to. I don't even think Ral Partha made them.

I am refering to the blueish resin models they made. Someone must remember these. They did not make a lot of them, because of the bad PR.

I had them, bought a box of light mechs that were all the brittle blue resin, I don't think anyone in the industry is using that stuff any more. that was also how long ago???

but ya your not crazy there were blue resin mechs with white metal parts.

Mad Pat

I had them, bought a box of light mechs that were all the brittle blue resin, I don't think anyone in the industry is using that stuff any more. that was also how long ago???

but ya your not crazy there were blue resin mechs with white metal parts.

Mad Pat

Now let's not jump to conclusions... Let's just say yes there was cheap brittle blue resin with white metal parts and leave the psychological diagnosing to professionals :devil:

The only resin that I've ever used was to make my fingers more stick and to give me a better grip.

I've got the 28mm despot and dictator from Hellion Productions here. They were fine to work with. The casts weren't perfect and I had to do some modification- it was not a problem. Sure, dropping them off a table would be bad, but big drops ruin metal too. I'd actually say I found these, and some Terraform scenery, quite acceptable and even enjoyable to work with. Next on my resin list will be some of scotia-grendel's 28mm vehicles and terrain. I look forward to it, although I suspect it's a very different resin.

Oh, I see. Okay, I was working on 28mm scale vehicles. Smaller stuff might be problematic.

IME, resin in smaller stuff works just fine. I'm putting together a resin driving compartment for a 1/35 scale model (Wespe), with castings smaller than anything achievable in metal, and it was flawlessly cast...

No, the problem with RP resin mechs was poor quality control, poor technique, and poor resin...

Damon.