Which is more controversial?

Hexxenhammer

You want real soup controversy?

My fiancee and I have an ongoing debate as to whether Ramen is soup or just a flavored noodle dish. One of us makes it with a lot of water, while the other drains almost all of the water.

Your thoughts?

Ramen is an abomination.

edit: My brother once planned a two week hike onf the Appalachian Trail, one of the guys couldn't make it, So they asked me to fill in for him. My brother had handled the provisions, Ramen Noodles.

Imagine if you will Ramen Noodles for breakfast, Ramen Noodles for Lunch, Ramen Noodles for Dinner. For two weeks straight. We came across some other hikers, who must've seen the gleam of hunger in our eyes, because they offered us some Peanut Butter, I was contemplating taking on a bear, just so I could eat him.

Had a similar situation when I first got married. I can't even look at a package of mushroom ramen anymore and that was 10 years ago.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want real soup controversy?

My fiancee and I have an ongoing debate as to whether Ramen is soup or just a flavored noodle dish. One of us makes it with a lot of water, while the other drains almost all of the water.

Your thoughts?

Ramen is an abomination.

edit: My brother once planned a two week hike onf the Appalachian Trail, one of the guys couldn't make it, So they asked me to fill in for him. My brother had handled the provisions, Ramen Noodles.

Imagine if you will Ramen Noodles for breakfast, Ramen Noodles for Lunch, Ramen Noodles for Dinner. For two weeks straight. We came across some other hikers, who must've seen the gleam of hunger in our eyes, because they offered us some Peanut Butter, I was contemplating taking on a bear, just so I could eat him.

Hey! I remember this! It's the starving artist or college freshman super diet!

(and Krztoff, I'm a drainer, more flavor, and the hubby and son like thiers swimming ..... always two batches made. :lol: )

• Super Administrators

I love good soup, but STEW! Stew is a primal force of nature. Almost nothing to compare with leftover pot roast stew...

contemplating lunch,

kit

I love good soup, but STEW! Stew is a primal force of nature. Almost nothing to compare with leftover pot roast stew...

contemplating lunch,

kit

Kit is on to something here.

Soup is all well and good, but a nice thick, hearty stew is the best. With Dumplings floating in the top and sucking in all the flavors...

• Super Administrators
What about gumbo? A good, spicy chicken gumbo is hard to beat.

A gumbo is a regional stew, so it counts. It's all in the roux.

Though now I'm feeling oddly conflicted with mentioning a french cooking technique with a "primal force of nature"...

kit

What about gumbo? A good, spicy chicken gumbo is hard to beat.

A gumbo is a regional stew, so it counts. It's all in the roux.

Though now I'm feeling oddly conflicted with mentioning a french cooking technique with a "primal force of nature"...

kit

:lol:

A regional Stew over rice, with Okra, or File.

mmmmmm

Unfortunately, no one could cook a gumbo, or fry fish for that matter, better than my father, when he passed away the recipes were lost.

i like ramen, i don't drain it, but i don't use as much water as i should. (i buy the packets not the cups, they're cheaper.)

i also tend to add a can of some sort of veggies (usually corn ) and a can of meat to it as well.

i also only eat it when money's tight, cause that stretches out the "real" food to last longer.

My answer to the original question, "Which is more controversial? Soup or Seinfeld?" Obviously, soup is far more controversial, as evidenced by the number of posts trying to label, categorize and otherwise define it.

Besides, Seinfeld was admittedly a show about nothing. How controversial could it be? Rhetorical question, don't try to answer that. please.

Now, if we're listing favorite soups or 'soup-like dishes', I would have to say...well, wait a minute. Nope, can't decide. I'm almost an omnivore. I like stews, soups, gumbo and chili, all with or without noodles, rice, vegetables, meats, seafood in whatever. It's all about flavor, though. Bland, mild, watery-thin stuff only works for me in those once-in-a-decade instances when I can 'keep nothing else down'.

Chili is a recurring theme for me, though. I know about 30 recipes, from Cincinnati style to vegetarian, from white chicken to 'a bowl of red'. I've got about 100 more good recipes tucked away somewhere. I recognize the differences between flavorful, spicy and hot. Not long ago I had a small garden with 28 varieties of peppers -- chili, Chilean and others -- from zero heat to 'protective headgear, living will and medical release form are required'.