Which is more controversial?

Hexxenhammer

Ever had bean-and-'tater soup?

Tis a sign you've grown up in a poor family when wednesday night's bean soup no longer has enough beans left in to be worthy of the name..and monday night's potato stew got rendered down to potato gravy on tuesday night... so you mix the two and call it potluck.

Been there.. done that.

And all this talk of being flat-busted-broke and eating potluck has put me in mind of... CHILI-MAC!

My mother called it Hungarian Goulash... but I know The Truth. My mother had a way with her ersatz recipes. Ask me later about her "Lasagna".

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother called it Hungarian Goulash... but I know The Truth. My mother had a way with her ersatz recipes. Ask me later about her "Lasagna".

A guy I work with is married to a Hungarian and she gets down right offended at what we Americans refer to as "goulash." :lol:

My mom's "Hungarian goulash" was hamburger, tomato, macaroni, corn, and spices...with bacon cooked on top of the mess. 'Twas not my favorite, by a looooong shot.

Mom's chili was more along the lines of "chili bean soup"...hey, we were in northeastern MN, whadja expect? ;)

Mom's lasagne, on the other hand, was incredible... that stuff was probably 4" thick if not more, with at least four kinds of cheese and a couple of kinds of meat. It would take the better part of the afternoon to make and assemble the thing.