30 Days Later...

Jester

No, it's not a movie... but 30 days later. I haven't had one cigarette in all this time...

Biggest surprise? Everyone is still LIVING, even strangers that pissed me off.

But according to my smoking habits it has been calculated that the following applies to my "Quit":

30 days, 9 hours, 1 minute and 1 second smoke free. 759 cigarettes not smoked. $151.88 and 5 days, 19 hours of your life saved.

The Studio is now closed and I'm on a little table in the living room until after the remodeling. But at least I do have some things finished. Most of all I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at ReaperCon in May.

So, if after 19 years of smoking I can quit... so can you. Just don't expect me to thump people over the head and become one of those over-zealous rabid anti-smoker preachy types. I know how difficult it is, and I will probably always struggle with the urge to smoke. However, it can be done...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah for you!!!

I've had a hell of a time quiting. So I didn't. I just only have one if I really want one. I'm down to like 1-2 a day. And many days with none. But since I didn't 'quit' I don't feel like I'm denying myself anything.

Congrats Jester for really quitting!

And good on you not becoming a jerk... ::D:

Yeah for you!!!

I've had a hell of a time quiting. So I didn't. I just only have one if I really want one. I'm down to like 1-2 a day. And many days with none. But since I didn't 'quit' I don't feel like I'm denying myself anything.

Congrats Jester for really quitting!

And good on you not becoming a jerk... ::D:

Becomming a jerk?!? That's like Emperor Palpatine 'becoming' evil! Some people just are a certain way from day one. ::P: (just kidding, jester can feel the love!)

And don't be giving him any ideas that 1-2 a day would be OK (not that you said it is, but it could be implied). 1-2 is NOT ok for him. He has kids. One of the big reasons I have NO relationship with my father as an adult is because he smoked every day when I was growing up. He knew it hurt him, he knew it hurt his family, but he did it anyway, letting us know that a cigarette was more important than his family. IT'S NOT JUST FOR YOURSELF, JESTER!! You are doing it for your wife & kids. Your kids don't wanna watch their dad die way too early, and your wife certainly doesn't wanna lose you before you both turn 100. ^_^

Congrats, Jester! Only 70 more years to go! :bday:

:bday: Rob, congratulations. :bday:

You're well over the hump for quitting. You're likely never going to get completely away from the urge to smoke. It's such a powerful addiction. But the most important thing is to be able to ignore the urge to pick up again.

Before I quit, I was smoking 2-3 packs per day of Marlboro reds. I started smoking sporadically at 14, and regularly at 17/18 when I got to college and away from my mother, who would have killed me if she knew I was smoking. For 7+ years I smoked between 1 and 3 packs per day, usually 2+. I seriously tried quitting twice during that time. Once lasted for about 18 months (with occasional lapses- usually involving alcohol), the other for about 6 months. I finally made the decision for myself at 24 that I just didn't want to smoke anymore. I went cold turkey because I knew tapering would never work for me. It will be 7 years this April since I last smoked a cigarette.

To this day I still have occasional cravings. :down: During periods of high stress, or if I've had a few drinks, I'll occasionally start wanting one, especially if I am around other smokers. I found, even a year after I quit smoking, I was still stuck in some of the habits and behaviors when I smoked, including how I would hold a pint glass, coffee mug, where I'd put my hand when the window was down while driving, etc. The hardest part about being successful quitting smoking isn't so much the physical addiction, it's all the social and behavioral issues linked to the activities that will trigger the craving. That was the hardest for me. My first two weeks when I quit were rough but they got better over time. Of course, I have a great motivation now to never pick up a cigarette. My wife has made it clear in no uncertain terms. I am welcome to start smoking again. If I do, I am also welcome to find another place to live. We met 6 years ago. I had quit a full year before we started dating.

I'd anticipate a few bouts of bronchitis over the coming months as your lungs fight to clear all the gunk out and become irritated by the effort.

Good luck Rob!!! Keep at it!

Well, at least Gus knows me well enough to understand that I haven't become "evil-er"... :devil:

I completely understand that part of me is always going to want to be a smoker. That's the nature of the addiction... and I'll have to deal with it daily the error I made in my life 19 years ago when I first picked up a pack and smoked them...

Since half my life to date was spent as a smoker, if I wanted to have a relatively normal chance of seeing the next 39 years, I decided it was now or never to give up the cigarettes.

For those of you looking to stop, and for more information, please check out:

http://quitplan.quitnet.com/

I've found it extremely informational, and supportive... :B):

It's also nice to know that I'm not alone in the "not smoking" category... as all of you who have shared your Quits above. Thanks!

Congrats Rob, good to hear you battling through the big milestones in the quit smoking department. As for your not killing strangers, well I can just imagine what that's like, had to duck a flying coffee from my father when he went through the early stages of his withdrawel so I know it's rough. But keep rocking dude!

Congrats Rob!!! I think Gus said it all (and the others, so I'll try not to repeat too much) ::D:

I've lived with or worked close to over 20 people that have tried to quit and eventually succeeded. It's a long and winding road and you are doing fantastic!!! for not killin' anyone!!

If there's anything I know about you - once you set yer mind on it - you will accomplish it. RCON not too far away!!!