New Merc 1000

Warwick

So I finished my freelance army and was messing around with ideas for my next invention. I decided pure Merc this time to see if that Scoundrel's Luck was going to make a difference. After working all day, this is the list I'm going to buy and paint up. It's insane and I love it.

Orba Sinhan

+Lesser Movement Upgrade

+Lesser Magic Armor

Lorielle Silverrain

Lupine Shaman

+Divine Favor

+Bandage X 4

4 Lupine Ragers

Lord Vandrian

Can't wait to get to play it. What do you other Mercs think?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I finished my freelance army and was messing around with ideas for my next invention. I decided pure Merc this time to see if that Scoundrel's Luck was going to make a difference. After working all day, this is the list I'm going to buy and paint up. It's insane and I love it.

Orba Sinhan

+Lesser Movement Upgrade

+Lesser Magic Armor

Lorielle Silverrain

Lupine Shaman

+Divine Favor

+Bandage X 4

4 Lupine Ragers

Lord Vandrian

Can't wait to get to play it. What do you other Mercs think?

I'm not a merc player, but I've played against similar troops. They are a blast to play! You have oodles of speed, high damage output, and cool models.

But you have severe tactical disadvanatages, too. With such a small number of models, and without much ranged firepower, you are going to depend upon close combat. Avoid getting swarmed, and you'll do OK. If you can't avoid getting swarmed, plan on dying quickly. While your shaman has lots of bandages, he can only use them one at a time. When the close combat starts, he won't have enough healing to go around.

I'd put the divine favor on a model that will be in the thick of the fight, that way the shaman can heal something else, and you get two tracks saved/recovered in one turn. Other than that, enjoy!

Too many points in characters, IMO. I play against a Merc force regularly, and have yet to lose to them (*knocks on wood*). They often run similarly small numbers, and my superior number swarms *always* take down his models quickly. Oh, and heaven forbid that you are playing against a Crusader force with the current Mercy rules. All those multi damage track models could qucikly come back to haunt you in a very, very bad way.

Granted, when we play limited battles (where we add the restrictions that each force must have a Warlord, and no more than X number of models), it gets much more interesting. If you've got an opponent that is willing to create a list geared in a similar manner, it an be an absolute rip to play. We usually don't last longer than about 3-4 rounds playing this way. It's fast, bloody, and fun.

Good luck! ;)

~v

I would try and put one of the accuracy upgrades on Lorielle... maybe take off orba's armor and lose a rager. The fewer models that reach you THE BETTER...

Have lorielle target healers and mages/rogues ASAP and use those re-rolls to kill them if you roll like a one or two.

Too many points in characters, IMO. I play against a Merc force regularly, and have yet to lose to them (*knocks on wood*). They often run similarly small numbers, and my superior number swarms *always* take down his models quickly. Oh, and heaven forbid that you are playing against a Crusader force with the current Mercy rules. All those multi damage track models could qucikly come back to haunt you in a very, very bad way.

Granted, when we play limited battles (where we add the restrictions that each force must have a Warlord, and no more than X number of models), it gets much more interesting. If you've got an opponent that is willing to create a list geared in a similar manner, it an be an absolute rip to play. We usually don't last longer than about 3-4 rounds playing this way. It's fast, bloody, and fun.

Good luck! ;)

~v

It's not a bad setup but I agree that it's a pretty small force for a 1000pt game and you've invested a lot into a handful of minis. Opponents that are grunt heavy will eat that up in a heartbeat (I say this because I've had it happen to me). This isn't to say you can't come up with an effective strategy for this setup but it'll be difficult. However, there's no denying it'll be a fun army to play with, I'd have a blast.

If you haven't already made the purchases consider some of these ideas and thoughts before doing so:

- ragers are expensive for oversized grunts and are best used to either clean up a mess or to act similar to cavalry and tie up archers and spellcasters or as flankers.

- lorielle needs to be mobile first and accurate second in order to take full advantage of her cheese so think about a gtr accuracy upgrade and a musician for one of the grunts in her troop.

- orba is totally cool but in a small to average game costs too much. for a lower cost you can field any combo of 9 crossbowmen, spears, and warriors and either dingo, sigurd, or artemis and be more effective in combat. by swapping out orba for nicole you still get tactician and save 172pts to spend elsewhere.

- say it with me now, the lupine lord is your friend. very good. now the lupine lord can get moshed and stuff and people have debated how tough he is but one thing is certain, blowthrough combined with speed earns a lot of respect on the battlefield and so even if you can't hit the broad side of a barn with his ranged attack he draws a lot of attention whenever he's on the board. this can free up other units to do their thing or your opponent will run away from your Lupine Lord and thus you can hunt and shoot all day. either outcome is fine by me. :;):

- merc grunts are cheap units. if you load up on them and get nailed with a fireball, who cares, send in the next wave. :blink:

I could do this all day.

Anyway, here's the most important advice I think I or anybody can give you. Think about what everyone is saying, get some ideas and learn some stuff, then screw them all and do what you want. After all, you could have the most effective 1000pt army in the game but if you don't like playing it then it won't matter.

This really is an army of fun. I don't expect it to win much, if at all. I have to have Orba, expensive as he is, because without him you might as well be Freelance. I wanted to try out the Scoundrel's Luck and Change of Heart. SO I got a crazy fast attack army idea. I might dump the uber archer for some basic crossbowmen. Like 10 of them. But I can only have 4 more in my list. Maybe another Rgaer and three crossbowmen. Okay, back to the drawing board.

that would work better I think and if you give one of those crossbowmen musician that'll just increase the speed of the ragers. very cool. ::D: also this would leave you with another 100pts or so to either add more equipment, spells, or try to add another small troop of cheap units or something (artemis plus 3 warriors or spears).

Rather than Lord Vandrian and Lorielle, why not Change of Heart a Mounted unit of some sort from one of the other factions. Khamsin Mounted Archers would be pretty sweet, although with the points you'd have available you could take a full unit of Khamsin Lancers or Lion's Lancers. If you want speedy Cavalry is where is is at. Just attach 4 or 5 of them to a Standard Merc Leader and have them rush ahead while the leader follows on foot.