Sign in to follow this  
Feanor

A moment of silence please

I just learned from my BL rep that Gallant games of missoula Mt. will be closing at the end of the month.

and I ask a moment of silence. Begin

Thank you

now a few words

Gallant was a gamers game store owned and operated by those that loved the craft. You will be missed but worry not for we will game on, in a thousand cities across thousands of tables we will roll dice for tose who can no more.

I kinda felt that way when Dark Horse Games of Boise closed shop (Wolf (the owner)did move the store to his home town in Emmett ID, but in the end he closed the doors, he did say he might reopen, but these days I doubt it)

sorry to hear about the store, at least for me thank goodness I have the net for the majority of gaming purchases.

RM

...at least for me thank goodness I have the net for the majority of gaming purchases.

We have not come to praise Gallant Games, but to bury it... :down:

The 'net is the reason game stores are closing right and left. Online shopping and online gaming are too much competition for many stores.

Online gaming purchases have increased 30% over the last year, and total gaming sales are down. So the brick and mortar and down a pretty chunk of business.

I try to get whatever I can at my FLGS simply because I believe in supporting them. The only time I get anything online is when I know I cannot find it locally.

This is sad to hear, especially since I want to open a store in the future. Hopefully somebody figures out a better way to power our transportation or gas prices go down, it's really cutting into disposable income which hurts any non-essential (meaning not required for survival) market. Though I'm starting to think my continued survival is dependant upon my miniatures (note to self: hide at least one unpainted miniature)

Definately a bad thing to see a store close - but I wouldn't put it all on the back of the net to blame the fall of the brick and mortar stores.

I've seen a lot who make really bad business choices and go under. From trying to chase fads (half the store is new products, the other half are items on clearance from the last fad), to not running a business but trying to have an extension of their living room for people to hang out in (not bad per se - but sales keep the lights on, not friends). A lot of the evil online stores are brick and mortar stores who also happen to sell online (something that every store could do - cheaply).

Lots of them also don't offer anything above what an online supplier does. What motivation do I have to jump in my car and drive 5, 10, 15 or more miles to see if my FLGS has anything new - if I can sit in my office in my underware and do the same thing...get what I am looking for...and get it cheaper? Need to add some additional reasons to go down. Have display armies, display terrain, gaming tables, tournaments - something that they can offer that is hard to get online.

If the net was the main cause of gaming store closures, we shouldn't see a single book store open ever again - but I have seen 5 new Border's and 3 new independant book stores open in the past 2 years just local to me. Books and related media are much more under seige than wargaming...but they seem to be doing quite well.

If the net was the main cause of gaming store closures, we shouldn't see a single book store open ever again - but I have seen 5 new Border's and 3 new independant book stores open in the past 2 years just local to me. Books and related media are much more under seige than wargaming...but they seem to be doing quite well.

I think that has to do with book cafes being trendy. Gaming stores never were.

...at least for me thank goodness I have the net for the majority of gaming purchases.

The 'net is the reason game stores are closing right and left. Online shopping and online gaming are too much competition for many stores.

when you don't have a game store in your area, that is the only way shop for gaming stuff. I shopped all the time at Dark Horse, hell everytime I came out of there it was $100 or more dollar per purchase + I knew Wolf personally for 20+ years, as a game shop owner as well as a freind. I was sadden that he decided to drop Boise as his site for his shop, in it's place was a coroprate type game shop that I was kinda of like uhh what's this place when I walked into the store?? (place had polished wooden floors, spotlights on certain gaming items, alot of Warhammer minis & games etc. nothing like how Wolf had his store (something that made you feel comfortable to just come in a shoot the bull with.

When I found his new store I was like cool & made the same amount of purchase over in that store as I did his orginal store, I was kinda shocked to hear he was pullin the plug, mainly cause all of my gaming life there was Dark Horse Games & this was something new & exciting for the small town of Emmett, which has a strong gaming community (mostly wargamers & such), but was really saddened & shocked by the closing.

what I typed about the net, was my way of doin gaming stuff, hell without the net I wouldn't have have half the stuff I own, much less gaming stuff. For towns & cities with actual gaming store, I say SUPPORT that store, nothing like having a place to go & be around gamers, get to feel & look at new items & basically be part of the gaming experience, but that is kinda hard to do when you don't have anything like that in your area. One of things I really miss, also one of the things I'm looking most forward to when coming to Reapercon this year.

Hope you didn't think I want to ban/close down game stores with what I posted, as that is not what was intended. That's just how I have to do my hobby (actually hobbies really)

RM

Hope you didn't think I want to ban/close down game stores with what I posted, as that is not what was intended. That's just how I have to do my hobby (actually hobbies really)

RM

The only part of your statement that caused me any heartburn was the 'majority of my purchases' clause. If you have a FLGS, but choose to buy online for the majority of your spending, then mourning the closing of a FLGS is just a tad bit hypocritical. But I meant nothing personal, because I didn't have any idea if you have a FLGS. Now that I know you don't, I sympathise completely.

There are many reasons for game store closings, as noted by others. But the fact of the matter is that most game stores are mom-and-pop stores in the truest sense of the word. They simply lack the capability to compete online, and against big box stores. The question for most of the stores is, can they drum up enough business with their events, leagues and promotions to keep going as a viable niche enterprise?

The comparison between online and large bookstores is simply not relevant - game stores are not in the same league as a Waldens or Barnes and Nobles. Of course, brick and mortar bookstores will survive - but they are likely to be big chains with their own online presence. Local bookstores are all but extinct, and going under just as fast as mom and pop game stores.

But the real reason brick and mortar, FLGS, mom-and-pop stores are going under, is that gaming dollars (for the young especially) are increasingly going to online gaming. Gamestop and BestBuy are where kids buy their games these days. The market is getting smaller for board games, craft and hobby-based games, etc.

Here's a fun observation: Last fall, I went to a convention at a large games distributor. I talked to a lot of game store owners while I was there. From my small, non-scientific study, I think game store owners fall into three categories: They either 1) had a day job and ran the game store as a secondary business, or 2) their household derived the majority of their income from their husband/wife/partner, or 3) they had a thriving online business. No one derived their primary income from the brick-and-mortar store. If you really want to get into a gaming store for fun and profit, think again. It's not fun and games at all, at all. What will be your niche, what will be your sales, is there local competition? Most importantly, do you have an independent source of income?

Our FLGS was owned by 2 brothers. They both had other jobs (like 2 shifts a week), but shared the store shifts so it could be open to what they had set the hours at.

CaptC

no probs, I guess after lookin at my post I really never said I didn't have a store (other then DHG)

but I totally agree about shopping at the FLGS first before net. Yah the online guys give you discounts & other stuff (well some due), but with the stores you get to see what your getting & if you like that future purchase or not + don't have the hassles associated with online buying (returns, missing parts etc etc), thank goodness that is a rarity in my purchases (thou I stick with around 2 or 3 places).

I did also fail to mention, that I do have a place in town for WOTC purchases, & that is of all places, my local trading card store, since he gets Magic & other WOTC stuff he can get the D&D & other gaming books as well. Also for me he gives a 20% discount as well, since I've known him for a little over 11 years as well.

I did notice today while picking up my Dragon & Dungeon mags that there was a Monster Manual book in his freight (got there as he was unpacking) so there are others in my area that play----just gotta find 'em!! Anther nod to FLGS--a place to find local gamers!!

game on.

RM