downloadable data cards

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At WarlordHQ, try logging in and clicking on Data Cards, which is the next-to-last link under Help, down the left-hand column. You can then choose each faction from a drop-down list. It's not a true download (into a separate file), but there are other ways to save them off for future reference. Printing them at 50% of displayed size seems to work pretty well, for the few I've tried so far. I hope this helps.

I believe he's basically looking for a way to DL everything as a .zip file or something in a big chunk, rather than doing it individually, right clicking on each card front and each card back, and doing Save As by Save As.

That's right. I already know about the data cards on reapergames but saving every front and back is going to take forever. Having everything in .zip files would make it so much easier.

I gathered that, too, but while a zip or other convenient 'Download This' button is nice, it's not required to achieve the same result. You don't have to save & print each single picture as a separate item as long as everything you want is visible on the same page. At risk of getting too far off topic and into the land of computer gibberish, try this:

In Internet Explorer, select File, Print. Select a document image writing program, rather than a physical printer. Save the output file. Open the file as you would a downloaded zip file -- it's pretty much the same thing, since it has all the pictures in a single file. Print to a physical printer and cut them out, but you may have to fiddle a bit more depending on your specific printer setup. Examples:

If you have MS Office, select the 'Microsoft Office Document Image Writer'. (I'll bet you wondered what that was for, didn't you?) This will create a file that you can name and save with a .mdi file extension. When you double click this file, the Microsoft Office Document Imaging program -- the same one used for scanning and such in Windows -- will open and you can view, print, etc.

If you have Adobe Acrobat (full version, not the free Reader), select the printer 'Adobe PDF'. This will print the entire page to a file you can save with a .pdf file extension. When you open this file, you can print, scale, extract or otherwise manipulate the file to your heart's content.

If you do not have either MS Office or Adobe Acrobat, but some other program that converts a document to a PDF file, select the appropriate 'virtual printer'. There are freeware programs out there that work pretty well. PDF4Free is freeware that can be used to (programmer's fluff): "...create PDF files with full hyperlinks support, up to 2540x2540 DPI printing resolution, custom paper size, PDF document information, font embedding, printing scaling and PDF compatibility support. Other file formats can be converted to PDF files."

It should work much the same way in Netscape or other web browsers, but I will have to try them from home to be sure. I doubt there is anything too complex or weird about selecting File, Print and selecting a virtual printer from one browser to another, but you never know.

You may now turn off your Geek Speak Filters as we return you to your regularly scheduled topic...

It's a bit tedious (especially for the longer lists like Reven), but doing the "select, save as" sequence is a bit more useful than just a mass print.

What I did was download each front and back image and then place them in a "catalog" in the form of data blocks which include the front and back of each card along with some tables for tracking items or quickly seeing how many points X # of grunts would be.

Then, I assemble the data blocks into pages for each army build that I have. So, if I show up at a game and then find out that I need to field a XXX point company, I decide which company that I want to field, pull out the appropriate pages, and I am ready to go:

Here is a half size example of a page:

TroopPage-example.jpg

Ideally, I'd create a program that allowed me to build the companies interactively and then would assemble the data blocks appropriately, but I barely have enough time to paint these days, let alone design and code such an app.

Ron

I just type all of the stats into an excel spreadsheet that mimics the format of the Back portion of the datacard, it is work, but I find having all the Leader datacards on one page, all the Elites on another, Soldiers on a third, and Solitaires on a fourth page makes life easier for when I'm army building, and If I want to I can easily cut and paste the stat blocks I intend to use in a given army onto a single page for a particular game.

I just type all of the stats into an excel spreadsheet that mimics the format of the Back portion of the datacard, it is work, but I find having all the Leader datacards on one page, all the Elites on another, Soldiers on a third, and Solitaires on a fourth page makes life easier for when I'm army building, and If I want to I can easily cut and paste the stat blocks I intend to use in a given army onto a single page for a particular game.

I would really like to see this. Any chance you can email a copy to me?

I enter my list into army builder. Great software! No cool pictures, but a heck of lot easier if the datafiles support your current faction. (Waiting with bated breath for the faction book updates.)

I enter my list into army builder. Great software! No cool pictures, but a heck of lot easier if the datafiles support your current faction. (Waiting with bated breath for the faction book updates.)

Yea, I'm not paying $40US for Army Builder. If it was something like $10US, maybe, but $40US is way too expensive for something like this.

Let me see what I can do, I'll spend an hour working on this and double check everything, right now I just have the Reven and Necropolis Lists fully done up, I had planned to do them as each faction book came out; I'll see about getting the Crusaders done up in the next couple of days and then I'll post here and let everyone know it's ready and I'll e-mail it out.

Right now it is formated to A4 sized paper, and being as how most of you are in North America you'd have to 'fit to page' when you printed it, I'll see what I can do about formating a letter sized version.

Is it possible for someone to host my excel files as a download rather than havinto e-mail them to everyone?

In addition is it possible for someone to PDF them, I currently don't have a full version of Acrobat, that way if anyone had problems with the excel formatting at least they can still make use of them.