Reach or Support?

Why is it that a model with a really long pike can only attack enemies they are in base contact with? Shouldn't models with Reach be able to attack enemies that are further away? How is it that they can provide support through other models (which have bases 1 inch wide or larger), but when making attacks themselves their long weapons suddenly shrink and force them to fight in base contact? Maybe Reach would be a new ability that gives models with long weapons the ability to attack an enemy up to 1 inch away, while Reach from the book is renamed to something like Support.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with the Reach mechanic, it simply differs from some of the other games. Allowing models to attack enemies they are not in base to base with might add a slightly different dimension to the game, but it also adds complications.

1) Why rename Reach? If you wanted to create a new special ability why not give the new ability a new name rather than complicating the matter.

2) Giving all current Reach models your suggested ability means playtesting each and every model with Reach, and repointing all of them. The ability you suggest is powerful, what it means is that a model could potentially attack over a friendly model and not be attacked back in return, or a model could stop short of the enemy, still attack (without being able to recieve defensive strikes more than likely) and force the enemy to spend a move action to engage a model that is already attacking them. It is a very pricey ability you suggest.

3) Clearly what you are suggesting is somewhat intuitive and is found in other games, which means the people at Reaper would have thought of it, and made the choice to avoid the mechanic you suggest, and instead implement Reach as a mechanic to support other models attacks. Nothing wrong with that in my mind, and Reaper obviously did it for a reason.

There is currently one piece of equipment in the game that allows a model to essentially fight with Reach as you have described it Shadowdragon. It is available in the new Crusader Faction book, the Spear of Aurelius. It's pretty much tailor made for Lord Ironraven, but Sir Danel also looks to be a wonderful fit for it.

It's a pretty expensive piece of equipment so giving models your version of Reach/Support would substantially increase the value of the given models. The fact that you cannot fight in Close Combat through a friendly model was something done by design, not oversight.

There is currently a SA, Ranked, that allows archers to fire through Friendly models, which is sort of the Ranged Combat version of what you're wanting.

Seeing some sort of SA on models for use with Reach/Trencher makes sense, but that ability to attack, without being a target for Defensive Strike needs to be carefully balanced, because it is potentially HUGE.

Why is it that a model with a really long pike can only attack enemies they are in base contact with? Shouldn't models with Reach be able to attack enemies that are further away? How is it that they can provide support through other models (which have bases 1 inch wide or larger), but when making attacks themselves their long weapons suddenly shrink and force them to fight in base contact? Maybe Reach would be a new ability that gives models with long weapons the ability to attack an enemy up to 1 inch away, while Reach from the book is renamed to something like Support.

It's a good argument, but I think that my answer is this. Base to base contact is used to show that the two minis are in melee. How that melee is occuring, is left up to the players to visualize. Seeing the swordsman trying to dodge the strike of a halbradier so he can close in is a neat visual. As far as game mechanics go, I see problems keeping track of who is attacking from an inch away and who is just positioned an inch away.

Before Warlord I played a game system where units with polearms had first strike abilities. The second round, however, the unit with the shorter weapons was considered to have worked under the polearms and then they got the first strike. It was an interesting concept, but it did play a bit awkward.

Castlebuilder

Hmm... a good question but Warlord, like any other game system is just that, a game system, and while some things written in the rules may sound a bit odd (or cause your brain to twitch because what you think something should do based on the name doesn't) it ultimately comes down to game mechanics and the enjoyment of the game itself. Chess is a great example of this. A Rook can move? It's a freakin' castle (no offense builder... LOL :;): ) A pawn can only move forward unless attacking but even then can only attack diagonally? That doesn't make sense. A queen can do just about anything? huh?!? A knight can only move in an "L" pattern and can't move as far as either the Rook (which shouldn't move at all) or a bishop (who wears a robe) or the queen? It's a horse for cryin' out loud... Anyway, you get my point. :blink:

That being said, I like castle's explanation. Warlord is a simulated combat system and b2b represents the act of being in melee combat however that may be interpreted and with whatever weapons/actions being used. Could "Reach" been named something else like "Support" or "Aid"? Sure, but it wasn't. But it's close enough and does give some idea what the ability does. It's all good.

Because fighting with a polearm is more than just holding a pointy stick out at full length. :D To truly "attack" requires a great deal of activity. Have you ever seen or played Dynasty Warriors for PS2? That's about the best example can think of for fluid polearm combat.

Reach gives you the ability to limit an enemies ability to dodge but putting your blade in the way, limiting his dodge ability and ability to get in range with the person you are backing up.

@Shadowdragon--I know what you're sayin' about Warlord. The mechanics are designed for playability and not nescessarily realism. Coming from other systems can be a challenge to unlearn more complicated rules sets.

Always keep in mind that we're playin' a fantasy skirmish game. Flyin' fireball castin' devils, dwarves, elves, and the like are not governed by the same mechanics as our world. Just let the magic happen and have fun.