Mywebsearch

Enchantra

So Dad comes to me with the words I fear last night, "there's a problem with my computer." So I walk him through running spybot and Spybot finds something called Mywebsearch and myweb.mywebsearch. It deletes everything except myweb.mywebsearch which is says is a running process and it cannot be deleted.

I'm making a guess this lovely thing is in his registry. I don't want to know how he got ahold of it. I found the toolbar on Firefox called "Mywebsearch" and realized what he had gotten ahold of. I turned it off in toolbars and tried spybot again, same results.

I could wait for one of our family friends who deals with this stuff regularly to come over and hack away at Dad's computer or I can try to do it myself. Any explanations of what I can do here?

He's the only one in the household having problems with spyware on his computer. I have him running Firefox, but I cannot be here 24/7 to babysit him on the internet, which unfortunately it seems he needs since he will open up any spam email he gets and click on banner ads left and right. He could have picked this little nasty thing up anyplace. :blink: I did get him to stop clicking on pop-ups at least. :rolleyes:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a program like that on my older computer. It was some kind of news-and-weather type toolbar that kept appearing ontop of my screen and whenever I tried to delete it I got that "cannot delete while program is still running" message.

One of the FEW good things about Windows XP is the "system restore" feature that lets you turn back time to before some particular program was added without losing previous modifications..but if you cannot do that, your most likely option is to circumvent starting the program in the first place by accessing the file through DOS. That's how I finally got rid of that pesky news toolbar on my other PC.

Good luck...and you might want to make a backup disk just in case.

Have you tried killing the active process before letting spybot remove it?

Did a quick google search on it and it appears the process will be called "mwsoemon.exe". Try shooting that down and trying again.

I really wish there was a way of successfully removing the main enabler of Spyware on computers -- Internet Explorer.

I've never had a problem with spyware on my own machines, since I only use Firefox. My wife uses IE and gets spyware quite frequently. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to break her of the habit.

Enchantra, reboot in safe mode (F8 just before the windows screen)

Then run spybot. It should fix it.

Actually, that's about what I did. I just had spybot scan on startup instead of later and it nailed it. After work tonight I'm going to double check it and make sure the nasty thing is gone. If it's still there I'm going to go into safe mode and run it.

I do second suggestions you try Firefox. It's very easy to use, it remembers all your IE bookmarks, and it doesn't seem to pick up spyware at nearly the same rate. It also blocks popups by default.

I also suggest spywareblaster from JAVACOOL:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

as it basically prevents users from installing known spyware, downloading from certain sites, it also blocks certain ActiveX (handy application extender by day, built in IE spyware enabler by night!) and other stuff.

I do second suggestions you try Firefox. It's very easy to use, it remembers all your IE bookmarks, and it doesn't seem to pick up spyware at nearly the same rate. It also blocks popups by default.

I already use it as does Dad and Mom. It's on all our computers. In fact, I did mention I found the nasty toolbar spyware in Dad's Firefox browser window. Thankfully I was able to get him off IE fairly fast and using Firefox instead not long after he got his computer. Of course it took me going in and disabling ActiveX and Javascript in IE for him to do the switch. :rolleyes: I told him I did it to stop spyware from getting on his computer. In reality I did it to get him to switch over to Firefox. It worked.

It's fixed though so all is good until the next time he comes to me saying "My computer has a problem." *sighs* The problem is the person using it. If I have to explain to him the difference between left click and right click yet again after he has been online now for 4 months, I will have to seriously hurt someone. As it is I figured out how he gets half the crap on his computer. He will click on a link to go to a new site, and since he is an impatient person, he will keep clicking sometimes even as he is moving the mouse along the screen, sometimes clicking on banner ads. Then he wonders why the page he originally clicked doesn't appear. :wacko: I've already told him numerous times to click on a link and then don't click again and WAIT for the page to load. I actually caught him banging his mouse against his desk the other day and he claimed it wasn't working right. I went over and tried it out - the mouse worked just fine, the problem again was the person using it.

Even Mom is wishing we had never let him have a computer now...