Resisting the Siren's song

Nanite

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on how much the hex tiles are, I'm considering buying them for strategic level wargaming (like in our D&D campaign where the threat of war has been ongoing for the last 7 real-world years!). The houses, however, I'm not so keen on: too fantasy (IMHO, even for fantasy games) and so I hear hela expensive (like $125 to start, for the set). I'd rather just scratchbuild in styrene...

Damon.

ForgeWorld stuff makes me cry, wail and gnash my teeth.

Almost everything they put out is superb, but it is so EXPENSIVE that it makes me cry. My friend bought me one of the Games Day Ork Fighta Pilots and an Imperial Thunderbolt Pilot which are simply stunning.

I was *THIS* close to starting my Death Korp force, but I finally broke and didn't spend the money. I was going to pick up two squads, but the $120 made me sad. Also, the Imperial Armor books are stunning, and this latest one is a rather fun read.

Once you suspend the disbelief that trench warfare could still exist in the way it did in WWI, in a day of heavy ordinance and air power - it is an exciting read, and chock full of rules, fluff and beautiful pictures.

Honestly - why would men line up shoulder to shoulder and still march across no-man's-land in an age of automatic weapons and ordinance. Even the British learned quickly enough that if troops left most of their gear behind and ran in a non-linear line to the nearest trench, they were more prone to survive and take the trench.

WWI trench fighters were brutal, as well as using a flame thrower or shotgun to clean out sections of the enemy trench. Makes for good gaming, actually.

I think the Forgeworld stuff is beautiful, but I won't ever buy any of it. Ever.

I had just started picking up the Armorcast versions of the Imperial Tanks when GW yanked the license from Armorcast. I paid $30-40 for my Shadowsword, and sure, it's not as detailed as the Forgeworld one, but it's playable - and frankly, I don't particularly worry about it. But if I were to buy the FW version, I wind up paying 4-6 times more for the same tank - and I'd be reluctant to put it on the battlefield. Thank god I had my Eldar Titan and Falcon from Armorcast before GW did that.

My other reason is that I've played games with Tim Dupertis and the other guys from ArmorCast at some of the various SF Bay Area conventions. Tim and his crew practically built that market for the larger scale tanks and titans for GW - at least in California - and not only does GW yank the license from them, but then the stuff they release to replace it through FW is so out of the average gamers price range, it isn't funny. So I won't give FW a red cent out of respect for Tim and his old crew.

I don't mind working in resin. In fact, with good casts and masters, resin is fun to work with. I have a WWII German FH18 in 1/48 scale on my deskt right now, and it looks fabulous.

I only ever bought a pair of Eldar Light Cruisers from Forgeworld. They weren't terrebly expensive, but expensive enough that I was a little dissappointed in the mold line/mold shift I had to deal with (if I pay a premium price for something, I expect a premium product).

Damon.

I just paid $18 for a Kryomek resin tank. It's small, it's rather odd, and it's a 1992 model at the latest, but the casting is perfect! I got a massive amount of joy out of that. A $500 tank would just give me an ulcer.

Also, I have this soft spot for odd, old miniature lines. It's all the stuff I couldn't afford when I was a teenager.

Gah! How many limbs do I need to sell to get one of these? :blink:

kriegoficierud0.jpg

Also, there are rumors of big-huge, short run, hilariously low-priced boxes of plastics to be released with Armageddon. I may have to get in line for an IG one.

Depends. If you like spending $6-7 a figure, it is right in your price range.

If you want an army of hundreds of them.. well..

Space Frenchies. :D

I already spend that on the occasional Infinity miniature, so sign me up!

Whoa - where the heck is that thing - the link didn't really say.

There is a building here in Denver that just screams 40k to me - I'll try and remember to take a picture of it the next time I drive past it - not as gothic, but a few statues added would make it so.