Resisting the Siren's song

Nanite

If SG gets restructured, good deal, but it just sounds like more of the same lousy treatment.

Yep. The management at GW just doesn't seem to be in touch with the customer base. They haven't for a long time. And now that sales seem to be declining for them, they really aren't sure what to do, so we see more bone headed moves.

What GW management really needs to do is look to Ed Pugh as an example of how to interact with the customer.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What GW management really needs to do is look to Ed Pugh as an example of how to interact with the customer.

No....

GW needs to continue making mistakes so one of the lesser companies can stand up and take their worthy place as a equal competitor

:upside:

i was once on their side, may i tell...but hter eis only so much BS one can live through dealing with a non-serious aspect.

once the game becomes a chore, it is no longer fun!

GW needs to continue making mistakes so one of the lesser companies can stand up and take their worthy place as a equal competitor

:upside:

Yeah, well, I said that more as a compliment to Reaper than a real suggestion for GW. Besides, GW has barely listened to their customers for years, why would they start now? If I were to make that suggestion face to face with GWs CEO, I'm sure he'd look down his nose at me, offended that I would dare suggest he take the example of a "lesser" company like Reaper.

Which is just fine with me, I'll stick with Warlord now, thank you, cause Ed and company treat me right.

But if GW does dry up and blow away, I hope it means we'll finally get AICOM.

But if GW does dry up and blow away, I hope it means we'll finally get AICOM.

GW has a strong presence in my area so I don't think that'll happen. I'd love to see a new sprue army like AICOM.

Independent hobby shops are nearly extinct in the Chicago area, and the only chain that carries Reaper is selling them at a 40% discount and not restocking.

The only hobby shops kids will know are those run by GW. I hate to sound like the voice of doom.

I bought a bunch of Reaper stuff and you should too!

We don't want them to go the way of Rackham.

If you like a Reaper figure, buy two or more and teach someone to paint it. Give up your Starbucks or some vice to free up the cash.

Huh, you would think FW would want the Harridan for Aeronautica?

Hah! Dont even think about starting yet another round of 'the Tyranids in AI'. :lol: This one has run and run.

Really? I honestly didn't know.

And Reaper needs to get a lot bigger before it could ever usurp GW. And why would you want it to? Sure, we want Reaper to make more great minis but we don't want to drive the Reaper peeps mental.

Now Reaper, please get a hardcopy rulebook out for CAV. ::D:

Yes. The two sides of this are - 'Tyranids are far too slow and would be static targets only', and 'Tyranids have space vessels and fluff about air combat occassionally'. I think that FW believe that the Bugs are too slow for this kind of game.

I would not want Reaper to grow to GW size in any way. As a long time gamer, I have watched GW changed from a company run and worked at by people who care, to corporate suits who are only interested in pie-charts and graphs. I am very glad that Reaper has not joined these ranks.

I feel the best thing anyone can do is diversify. If we only have a handful of companies, then we only have a handful of games. Try out new games that might just be at the 'indy' stage of development. You never know, it could be the next big thing. Look up types of games you have never tried like....

spaceship combat

modern and WW2 combat

American Civil War

Napoleonic

Ancient Civilizations

There are tons of scales and tons of games, many of which don't require more monetarily than half of the bigger companies.

I feel the best thing anyone can do is diversify. If we only have a handful of companies, then we only have a handful of games. Try out new games that might just be at the 'indy' stage of development. You never know, it could be the next big thing. Look up types of games you have never tried like....

spaceship combat

modern and WW2 combat

American Civil War

Napoleonic

Ancient Civilizations

There are tons of scales and tons of games, many of which don't require more monetarily than half of the bigger companies.

You didn't list a genre I haven't tried, actually. Heck, I think I have rules and/or figs for all of those.

Spaceship combat - still have BFG, have played Full Thrust, Silent Death, Star Fleet Battles, Star Trek Tac. Sim, Renegade Legion: Interceptor (and Leviathan) - still have the rules for the last three.

Modern and WW II - Flames of War (have two armies right now), Command Decision, Close and Destroy (probably my favorite modern). If you include naval and air, I can add Harpoon, Air Superiority, Blue Max (okay, it's WW I, but same deal), and probably several others.

ACW - Okay, I've only tried Johny Reb.

Napoleonic - played a couple, but can't recall names of systems off the top of my head. And the alternate reality of Flintloque appeals to me.

Ancients - Tactica, DBA, etc.

I don't think that other companies is always equal to cheaper, however. If I ever got around to finishing my Trajan Romans, I'd have spent about $300 or so (in 15 mm figs!), but that's because the system (Tactica) is a little less abstract than others. And you can drop a fair amount of money into something like Full Thrust without a problem.

I do think, however, that many gamers lock themselves into a particular genre, and never try anything new. IMO, that's what cons are for - a chance to go try new games, especially miniature games, without the initial investment of rules and figs.