Resisting the Siren's song

Nanite

ORKS ORKS ORKS!!!!

WAAAAAGGGHHH! *DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA*

Actually, I like space marines best. The game rather blows, but the models are brilliant,.

I'm dumping a lot of my old Orks, in order to concentrate on Tau and Marines. I decided to keep some, because I like the flavor of those old RT metals, but something had to go.

Anyway, I've always looked at the core GW games as "beer and pretzels" kind of games. I don't expect much, just some fun. In that light, they're not bad . . .

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ORKS ORKS ORKS!!!!

Actually, I like space marines best. The game rather blows, but the models are brilliant,.

Those upcoming Ork models are going to be great for post-apocalypse settings.

Mad Max? You're soaking in it!

ORKS ORKS ORKS!!!!

I'm dumping a lot of my old Orks, in order to concentrate on Tau and Marines. I decided to keep some, because I like the flavor of those old RT metals, but something had to go.

Anyway, I've always looked at the core GW games as "beer and pretzels" kind of games. I don't expect much, just some fun. In that light, they're not bad . . .

I might be interested in taking them off your hands ! ^_^

Arrrrgh ! :wacko: "Apocalypse" has drawn me back in .

Me too. I finally have a venue for the 100+ genestealers I have...

Apocalypse has been great. I can now field the ridiculous amount of gun drones I have for my Tau as units rather than Battlesuit attachments.

At least Six full Units, deployed directly on the edge of no man's land...

And the boxed sets they've done to allow reasonably priced expansions to existing armies have been great. I especially enjoyed the Tau 3-for-2 tank deal.

SO a little math:

10 Death Korps of Krieg Infantry from the Warstore: $80.00

Alternatively:

20 x Pig Iron Kolony Militia Heads: $7

10 x Artizan US Infantry in Greatcoats Section I (10 figures) $25

Adda little elbow grease, and pfft goes the No-More-New-Minis pledge.

Plus I need an Artizan bazooka team to fight off Beaulah

I'm still waiting for the occassional rumors of GW prepaints. I've got way to many Space Marines/Tryanids/Orcs waiting for basecoat, much less a real paint job.

When the jump on the PP wagon, I'll start edging back to them.

Seriously unlikely. It comes up as a rumour a lot, but GW place too much emphasis on 'the hobby' to get rid of the assembly, conversion and painting aspects in one go. Besides, look at the current prepaint experiences - Rackham (shares frozen, sold assets, customer backlash), Mongoose (reversed decision on prepaint SST, BFEvo prepaints underimpressive) and Reaper (too new to comment).

I'm still waiting for the occassional rumors of GW prepaints. I've got way to many Space Marines/Tryanids/Orcs waiting for basecoat, much less a real paint job.

Seriously unlikely. It comes up as a rumour a lot, but GW place too much emphasis on 'the hobby' to get rid of the assembly, conversion and painting aspects in one go. Besides, look at the current prepaint experiences - Rackham (shares frozen, sold assets, customer backlash), Mongoose (reversed decision on prepaint SST, BFEvo prepaints underimpressive) and Reaper (too new to comment).

Ahhhhhhhhh, but Reaper is doing something different than what the rumors of GW say, and certainly over what Rackham did. They're doing both metal and plastic for the pieces.

Rackham just went stupid by dumping one fan base for another. I still buy tons of AT-43 things (can't wait for Christmas!!!!) and I like the new Confrontation pieces, but am waiting for the Great Fang unit boxes to come out. You can rarely go wrong with wolf hybrids.

GW, hmmmm, I don't know. I think if they took the Reaper approach of doing metal and PPs for the same figures, they'd make a mint. Getting both the artistically inclined and the painfully untalented (that's me). Hell, they could do test batches using the MacCragge lower quality mini's and sample that. I'd buy 'em.

My FLSG owner said a few years ago, GW sent around a set of pre-painted ultra-marines, and pre-painted bretonnians. They solicited comments, but never heard back.

I have never seen or heard anythign else about this.

Maybe it's me being a pessimist here but I'm pretty sure GW's emphasis is far more on satisfying share holders than on it is on "the hobby". The second they decide they'll make more money by going prepainted they will. Right now GW is selling a lot of starter boxes that just end up half assembled and unplayed with in peoples basements. If they figure out that this is happening because 13 year olds generally don't have the commitment to build a painted 3000 point GW army, then the switch to prepaints looks pretty obvious. GW seems to have already upset a lot of their older fans, and thus have already to some degree (large degree if you ask me) sacrificed "the hobby" in favor of "the buck". The logical next step is to reach a wide audience with prepaints.

I'm waiting to see what happens to Rackham with their switch to plastics (are they all prepaints now?). If Rackham actually succeed and eat into GWs market share then I'll expect GW to go prepainted. Privateer Press has already grabbed a huge amount of GWs market share among the older more mature hobbyists, atleast in Europe.