Resisting the Siren's song

Nanite

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think reading comments on Warseer (or other GW focused forae) about how the game will be "dumbed" down isn't very conductive to making an unbiased analysis, especially when you consider the amount of whining that goes on there! Besides which, the term "dumbed down rules" is a much abused one: there are people on this site that claim D&D 3.x is "dumbed down" compared to previous editions (a claim I don't think is supportable -- if anything it is just as complex, but the mechanics made more consistent).

Damon.

I've actually seen a copy of the pdf that's been floating around, and I personally think it's probably a hoax. All the placeholder art is from the 3rd edition book, not the 4th edition book, with very amateurish 'This needs changed' graphics slapped over them where stuff doesn't match up to what's in the written rules.

In addition, several guys who have had very accurate "rumor" information in the past have come out saying that the rules everyone is complaining about aren't the final version of the 5th edition rules. But of course, those voices of reason are drowned out by the din of the masses, and the specifics they've given about the differences between the final rules and the "playtest" rules set haven't done enough, even in my (what I'd like to think is more reasonable) mind, to put to rest the fears that the pdf stirred up.

GW remaining officially silent about the situation isn't helping, either. I don't expect them to show people the final rules just to shut them up, but having someone come out and say the PDF is hogwash would be enough for me.

I haven't read a single rumour about 40k 5e, heard it here first. With that said, I can make some guesses based on transitions from 2e to 3e and 3e to 4e

Here's my predictions:

-The core combat mechanics will remain the same.

-Army building rules will be changed just enough that previous codexes are virtually unusable, and armies will require beteen 5-15% more models.

-There will be at least one rule they "fixed" so that I absolutely hate it now.

-There is a good chance that they "fix" a rule I disliked in the previous version. Whether this is enough to cancel out the fixes I hate will have to be seen.

-the vehicle and psionics rules will change yet again.

-the Space Marines (or a space marine chapter) will get the first new Codex, and at least 90% of the fluff inside will have been in previous versions.

At this point, I seriously doubt that a new edition will kill 40k or GW. It's business as usual for them. Now, it's possible that with GW's flailing economic health, too many expenditures in producing a new version could bankrupt them. If so, I'm pretty confident that the 40k Intellectual Property will live on (if they're smart), much like Battletech has.

Hrrmmm - perhaps we should have a RAGE based system in hand so that if GW does die, Reaper could buy the rights to 40k...

Roseville, Minnesota (February 22, 2008) – Fantasy Flight Games (“FFG”) and Games Workshop (“GW”)

jointly announced today that they have reached an agreement for Fantasy Flight Games to become the exclusive

publisher of board games, card games (including collectible card games), and roleplaying games based on Games

Workshop’s family of renowned intellectual properties including Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Warhammer

40,000. Additionally, the deal will grant FFG the exclusive rights to publish new versions of the classic board and

card games titles published by Games Workshop over the last 25 years.

and

FFG will take over the production of Talisman, and plan to produce a new printing and expansions for the 4th

edition of this ever-popular classic board game. Further, FFG will continue production and new-product support

for the Universal Fighting System CCG, the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay RPG, and the new smash-hit Dark

Heresy RPG. More details on FFG’s publication plans for these titles will be provided in the weeks to come.

That's the gist of it. And I just mailed off a letter to GWs CEO today about their handling of Dark Heresy. Mailman came five minutes before I read this.

The press release specifically mentions Space Hulk, and says that the agreement does not cover it, nor any of GWs other mini-centric games.

Sounds a bit short sighted to me - if I were GW, I'd license FFG to maintain those games as well, much like Mil-Net handles CAV for Reaper.

The press release specifically mentions Space Hulk, and says that the agreement does not cover it, nor any of GWs other mini-centric games.

Sounds a bit short sighted to me - if I were GW, I'd license FFG to maintain those games as well, much like Mil-Net handles CAV for Reaper.

Oh damn. There was about to be a party at the thought of a new Space Hulk. ::(: Heck, a new board print of one would do nicely as an add on for out Tannhauser or RotD game. Secret underground lab for all kinds of experiments.

Does GW have any decent non-mini games? Heck, do they have any non-mini games at all? Not counting the CCGs.

Yeah - they have both WFRP and the new Dark Heresy. They have several games that are considered board games, Talisman being the best of them, that are covered by the license. Space Hulk could really go either way - I see a lot of arguments for it being a board game, but since the announcement specifically said it wasn't included, I guess they don't consider it one. Blood Bowl neither.

I've been reading the reaction to the news on the Black Industries forum - a bunch of people freaking out, thinking this means WFRP and DH will become d20, simply because of the way the announcement was worded. No such reactions on the FFG forums though - it's all positive there.

This is the best news to come out of GW in awhile. Last time they discontinued WFRP, I remember Hogshead having to jump through hoops for a long time to get the license for it.