Resisting the Siren's song

Nanite

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the bits sellers on ebay are a good bet. Some are out to gouge, others are quite reasonable. I think Robert is on the right track though, with the new IG releases (and price hikes), the demand is up, and supply was down due to GW discontinuing the old boxes, I think.

I got a look at the new price list last night, and it isn't anywhere near as bad as the advanced order prices made it out to be. The intro boxes are going up from $60 to $75, but that's as bad as it gets. Tanks that were $40 will be $41.25, and a lot of $25 boxes will go to $27.25. Some Metal models took it in the pants. Greatswords are indeed $41.25, but that indicates to me they would have been priced at $40 under the old scale anyway.

I'll probably need to get some ork warbikers for my son before they go up to $41.25 from $35m, but in general this increase doesn't hit me hard at all.

Only thing is already overpriced troopish blisters are now even more overpriced (Necron Pariahs, Kroot hounds).

Stuff like this is why Chronoscope and P-65 are my only impulse buys anymore.

Had a nice customer service experience with GW. They sent me another whole blister of ratlings gratis.

Also their new terrain bits look tempting.

I'm probably going to get their Chaos bastion for my World Eaters/Blood pact to hang around in. Kinda miffed its something like $10 more for a couple of sprues of chaos gribblies...

Damon.

So true, but on the plus side, they are finished structures. The Imperial Buildings always put me off because you needed multiple kits to make a non-ruined building.

I guess that's the idea though.

Really, though, who is providing plastic injection molded buildings in 28mm these days? How much do you think you would pay if they were cast resin or something?

Damon.

There's the Zvezda/Imex stuff still floating around, but they never really took off. Plus the plastic was really horrible, and it all looked quite toylike.

I've had the GW blastscape on pre-order for a while, I really like the moonscape they did earlier.

Really, though, who is providing plastic injection molded buildings in 28mm these days? How much do you think you would pay if they were cast resin or something?
In cast resin? By anyone other than Forgeworld, I'd expect around the same price. Forgeworld, double, triple probably even quadruple.

My reaction to the prices is based upon the fact that for the same money plus a little effort, one can get so much more value by looking for solutions other than plastic buildings. Not the actual kits themselves. Particularly with companies like World Works providing easy ways to do card modelling of all sorts of types of buildings. Or Hirst Arts, or even like I do - scratchbuilding.

Admittedly, the Bastion is probably a reasonably priced plastic kit for it's size. And scratchbuilding such a structure is probably beyond a lot of people's capabilities (or more likely, beyond what they perceive as their capabilities.) But the landing pad? Building a landing pad - even one as nice as that - is frightfully easy. I bet I could build 4-6 decent looking, similar sized landing pads for the same price as one of those kits.

Like a lot of things though, you're paying for convenience. Most plumbing jobs are silly easy to do...ever install a toilet? Yet plumbers are always in demand because people either don't want to learn, or are not interested in the hassle. I can change the oil in my car, vut I'd rather pay someone $22 to do it for me because its dirty and inconvenient...

Damon.

Like a lot of things though, you're paying for convenience. Most plumbing jobs are silly easy to do...ever install a toilet? Yet plumbers are always in demand because people either don't want to learn, or are not interested in the hassle. I can change the oil in my car, vut I'd rather pay someone $22 to do it for me because its dirty and inconvenient...

I grasp your point - I've installed toilets, faucets, cabinets, lighting fixtures, and so on. The only reason I don't change the oil in my car is the hazardous waste disposal aspect of it. Still, I understand that paying for convenience is often times worth it - FREX, despite being perfectly capable of doing so, I'm going to be paying for a plumber to replace some leaky outdoor faucets at my home - mostly so that if something goes wrong, someone else is liable for it.

But with a plastic model kit like this, you still have to assemble and paint it. At least with some solid resin pieces, the assembly part is out of the way. IMO, the only real convenience here is that you conveniently don't have to imagine how to turn the raw materials into an end result. In my experience, I can build a reasonably decent building out of foam core as fast as I can a plastic model - faster sometimes. If I want to spend more time, I can even give it the uber detailing that the plastic kits have - but all the uber detailing often does is increase the amount of time spent painting.

Anyway, if people want to spend their money on that stuff - their choice. But there are cheaper and more reasonable alternatives available to them.

I look at most of this GW scenery stuff, and I wonder how much of it get's bought, assembled, then actually fully painted and put on the game table vs how much gets assembled and used as is.