current BOP

Ok, here is a question for any Reaperpeeps..

What can we do if we hae registered a game, but the person we played never does their bit...?

If a Game has been reported by the Winner and their opponent for what ever reason doesn't get around to approving the game. The report will go into a default status after a period of time and go into the administrators approval Que. The administrator will review the report and take action from there.

Mad Pat

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, let me say that what is already in the Reaper site and the BOP is cool. I wish other games had as much visible support for players, connecting them and making it easier to find opponents. Good job!

But improvements are always possible. Please take the following as constructive suggestions! Summarizing a bit from this note, and adding my own two cents:

Some people don't register games because no matter how easy it is, it's not important to them. The solution is to make it important. Reaper could offer prizes, certificates, or recognition on the website. (Some suggestions below.) Other thoughts?

Some people don't register games because they can't get their opponents to register, or because of difficulties in the process. Identifying who you played is sometimes difficult. For example, I have a game outstanding from a store tournament. The player has signed up, and has a handle. But he's never clicked the 'make my profile visible' box, so I can't find him to get his number to report the battle. When I see him in the store, he can never remember his password, so I can't lead him by the hand. The solution here is to make the interface easier. I'd suggest the following:

- Player's handles should be visible by default. There's no risk in doing so, Reaper already supplies private messaging mechanisms and the profiles are not personally identifiable. Change that click from a 'make me visible' to 'make me invisible.'

- Reporting battles should be easy, easy, easy. Allow selecting an opponent to go by handle or by number. Clicking on a player's number/name anywhere on the site should take you to their profile page. That page should have at least two buttons, one for "Challenge this opponent' and one for 'Report a battle with this opponent." The subsequent screens should be pre-filled with the opponent's information.

- Either winner or loser should be able to initiate a report. It would be cool if when entering a report against a particular opponent, the system would show you outstanding battles against that opponent (to prevent race conditions.)

- A tournament reporting kit should be available. IE - a store owner or tournament organizer should have something similar to DCI's online reporter or Mystical Empire's web-based tournament support page. For each registered tourney, provide a web page to support running the tourney. Require the entry of a Reaper number/handle for each player, generate swiss pairings, and automatically report the results. These results would be barebones, who won, who lost, tourney name, round number, points. (As an added frill, allow players to add comments later.)

To get players excited about any game, it has to be immersive. You have to care about what's happening. But heck, it's really mysterious what's going on in the BOP, so it's hard to care. Clicking on a region of the map shows the end results of each month for the last year. I'd rather see a log of all games played in the region this month. Show me date, winning player, winning faction, losing player, losing faction and provide a click to read the battle report. Let me sort by date, faction or player. If you want to show past history by month, that's cool, but put it in a smaller table format so I can see it all at a glance. Better yet, give me a histogram by month. EDIT: Also, supply a summary report showing wins, losses and support points received for each faction in the region, during the month.

The second reason I personally don't find the BOP immersive is that there's nothing to recognize individuals. As part of the history of a region, list the players who provide the most points towards a faction victory in any particular month. Give players a chance to be permanently enshrined in the Reaper website, and I predict you'll see more games played, and a higher percentage reported.

Finally, for each faction, you should be able to find a list of the top players. You could also supply a list of people wth outstanding support points. That way, you could see who to contact if your faction needs help in a different region.

Finally, and here's a biggie, what people say, and what they do, should be easy to correlate. I got lucky, I'm CaptC in both the BOP and the forums, but other's aren't so fortunate. My suggestion is that a player registering in the BOP automatically get the same handle in the forums, and vice versa.

The only disagreement I have with any of that is having either player report. One problem will be when both do it and another is when neither one does it, thinking the other one will. I think that have the winner report because he's getting the points and has more incentive to do so. It's really easy for the loser to accept or deny the report. You even get an email telling you to go to HQ and check out the report.

As for incentive, there are gift cetificates for winner, second and third I think, overall and in each region. Perhaps some of the immersion you suggest could come from players posting here and maybe also from a Reaper Operative who posts some news and rumours concerning Taltos? That would require the least programming changes.

- Either winner or loser should be able to initiate a report. It would be cool if when entering a report against a particular opponent, the system would show you outstanding battles against that opponent (to prevent race conditions.)

First off, nice post, CaptC! Those were all great suggestions, and I agree with them wholeheartedly. It may be a bit much for Reaper to implement all of those things at once, but there are certainly areas where they could make some quick and drastic improvements in the reporting and BOP sections.

I singled out the above comment, as I'd like to add the suggestion of being able to report a draw, as well as the inclusion of a good multi-player battle reporting system (with the award of points for the relative placement of each force). In say, a 4-way battle, 0 points would be awarded to the last place finisher, 1 point to the 3rd, 2 to the 2nd, and 3 to the overall winner. I think this would help encourage multi-player battles; more risk, more reward.

~v

As for incentive, there are gift cetificates for winner, second and third I think, overall and in each region. Perhaps some of the immersion you suggest could come from players posting here and maybe also from a Reaper Operative who posts some news and rumours concerning Taltos? That would require the least programming changes.

Of all the suggestions I made, allowing both players to report is the least important. I understand the problem with multiple reports, but I included it as an option because if you win a game against a person who doesn't want to publish their profile, you have no way to make the report. The 'invisible loser' needs to have a way to initiate that battle report. I'd expect that to be a vanishingly small percentage of games, though, so if this doesn't get implemented I wouldn't cry.

Making it very, very easy to make the report is the most important thing to accomplish.

Gift certificates are indeed nice, but honestly, a chance for recognition is much more valuable. Make more chances for recognition, and you will improve the immersion. That's why I suggested lists of top players in each faction, top point getters in each region, historical lists of people who helped their faction win a region, etc. More chances for fame and glory!

A chronicler of the history of the game (think Gav Thorpe) would add even more chances. Who wouldn't want to get their army mentioned in the official Warlord chronicles? Nice idea!

And Shakandara, yes, multiple play reporting would be cool, too!

Of all the suggestions I made, allowing both players to report is the least important. I understand the problem with multiple reports, but I included it as an option because if you win a game against a person who doesn't want to publish their profile, you have no way to make the report. The 'invisible loser' needs to have a way to initiate that battle report. I'd expect that to be a vanishingly small percentage of games, though, so if this doesn't get implemented I wouldn't cry.

Making it very, very easy to make the report is the most important thing to accomplish.

Gift certificates are indeed nice, but honestly, a chance for recognition is much more valuable. Make more chances for recognition, and you will improve the immersion. That's why I suggested lists of top players in each faction, top point getters in each region, historical lists of people who helped their faction win a region, etc. More chances for fame and glory!

A chronicler of the history of the game (think Gav Thorpe) would add even more chances. Who wouldn't want to get their army mentioned in the official Warlord chronicles? Nice idea!

And Shakandara, yes, multiple play reporting would be cool, too!

The crunch is, that for some, the recognition of their battle prowess (or lack thereof) is of no importance. They have fun playing, know how well they do, and that's all they want of it. Nothing in the world will change this, unless you make it mandatory, in which case they'll quit playing.

Maybe we shouldn't take this all so seriously. It's neat that the service is provided by Reaper, and it's great that people feel more involved because of it, but unless it's going to influence the background history of Taltos, I don't see how it's really all that important.

Maybe we shouldn't take this all so seriously. It's neat that the service is provided by Reaper, and it's great that people feel more involved because of it, but unless it's going to influence the background history of Taltos, I don't see how it's really all that important.

I beg to differ. Life is life. That's serious. Games are games. That's even more serious. :lol:

In the business of play, promotional tools are extremely serious. I have games come and go in my store. Hecatomb was a bust, but Mystical Empires seems to be making a run. (Local company with frequent demo teams.) Pokemon, Full Metal Alchemist, City of Heros all seem to be dying, but YuGiOh thrives. (Local guru who plays in the store.) Warmachine barely made a dent in my store, but Warlord is going great guns. (Enthusiastic gaming community and local gurus. Thanks, Darthiir, gospog, Storminator, Ladystorm!)

The difference between those games is promotion! If I play it, or my staff plays it, or we have a local guru who plays in the store, or there is an existing community, a game will thrive. If a company offers sanctioned play, or has demo teams, or other hooks to promote interest in the game, it makes the difference between a successful game and a dead game.

BOP is a great promotional tool. It could be better. BOP fosters competition and promotes recognition, but it is currently a little frustrating to use. If it gets better, more players will play. That will directly turn into dollars in Reaper's pocket, so they can make more cool games and figures, afford more Black Lightning demo teams, etc. Plus, I make my livelihood on selling games. I won't mind if a few of those dollars stick to my pockets.

If you play for other reasons, then yes, BOP isn't important to you. It won't be important to everyone. But the point is, it can be important to many more people than it is currently.

I admit that I skipped reading the last few posts as they seemed to be discussions related to Cap C's initial idea crunch.

I just wanted to say that most of the ideas and actually a lot more have already been discussed back around the beginning of the year, when Reaper Matt had asked for our ideas.

Do a search for "end of year" thread started by ReaperMatt for about 8 pages worth of discussions.

But, having said this, it is probably a good idea to bring these ideas up again.

• Super Administrators

You guys are jumping the gun. :;): The Battle reports are being overhauled and yes simplified. It will take a very hard sell to get the loser to be able to submit a report.

I have a ginormous list of improvements, and most fall under the banner of simplify, simplify, simplify.

kit

I admit that I skipped reading the last few posts as they seemed to be discussions related to Cap C's initial idea crunch.

I just wanted to say that most of the ideas and actually a lot more have already been discussed back around the beginning of the year, when Reaper Matt had asked for our ideas.

Do a search for "end of year" thread started by ReaperMatt for about 8 pages worth of discussions.

But, having said this, it is probably a good idea to bring these ideas up again.

For those with poor search-fu, change your search options to 90 days or all otherwise it defaults to 30 days and you won't find it.

Jason is right about the legnthy discussion. You can find it HERE.

You guys are jumping the gun. :;): The Battle reports are being overhauled and yes simplified. It will take a very hard sell to get the loser to be able to submit a report.

I have a ginormous list of improvements, and most fall under the banner of simplify, simplify, simplify.

kit

If the reason that the current BOP is bad, is because you are building the new site, you're forgiven. (My guess is preparations for Reapercon are first priority right now. And appropriately so!)

Assuming there is a way to report a game using an opponent's handle, even if the handle is not visible, I withdraw the suggestion that losers be able to report games.

Hey what gives in Seros Province ? :blink: Players at my recent tournament still haven't had their games approved/verified and it appears the Necropolis finshed on top in April but now in May , Dwarves are on top with only 1 win ! :blink: What happened to the carry over wins ? :unsure: