Looking for a specialty paint

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interference paints.

Several makers offer then.

www.danielsmith.com has multi-color interference paints in several color combos. They're tube colors, but they thin well, and aren't as thick as some.

Duchrome colors are probably what you are looking for. These have 2 color shades. Looking at the cavs, and the fact the duochromes mention their color being violet when looked at angle ( like the Cavs ). I think it's the Aquamarine color that is used on those.

http://www.danielsmith.com/categories/pain...scent-acrylics/

Also, for intense colored metallics, mix interference paint with a paint color matching it. A translucent blue mixed with interference blue makes for a wicked blue metal.

yes, Createx Auto Air airbrush paints has a line of Chemelion (sp?) that will color change.

Try Bearair.com

This stuff looks great, but I never seen to be able to find these in stock anywhere though. But thank you. ::):

Interference paints.

Several makers offer then.

www.danielsmith.com has multi-color interference paints in several color combos. They're tube colors, but they thin well, and aren't as thick as some.

Duchrome colors are probably what you are looking for. These have 2 color shades. Looking at the cavs, and the fact the duochromes mention their color being violet when looked at angle ( like the Cavs ). I think it's the Aquamarine color that is used on those.

http://www.danielsmith.com/categories/pain...scent-acrylics/

Also, for intense colored metallics, mix interference paint with a paint color matching it. A translucent blue mixed with interference blue makes for a wicked blue metal.

That from Daniel Smith seems to be the closest to what I'm looking for, thanks, I'll be ordering some!

I have no fear of the tubed paints, that's how I get my interferences now. ::D:

What is on the CAVs is nail polish (yeah, you read that right :ph34r: ). It has an absolutely awesome color shift to it, it will go anywhere from dark grape through blues, greens, olive, gold, orange, and reds. I am dying to find something this "extreme" in it's effect that is not nail polish or automotive paint, but have no luck in a couple of years of trying to get my hands on some. I even got in contact with the lab techs at the company that makes this stuff and hit a dead end after that. (no one that has the pigments wants to deal with small frys :down: )

What is the aversion to auto paints?

Most of your better automotive paint stores keep the pure flipping aditives that gets mixed with the clear coat to achieve the effect on cars. If you don't have one locally, get in touch with Eastwood (www.eastwoodco.com). They sell water based iridescents in 4 oz. containers for $9 or so. Call them up and tell them what colors you want to flip and they will tell you what they have that will work for it.

Judging by what you said you wanted (Grape and Greens) take a look at Auto Air Flair Teal/Purple. I used that color on a car last year and looking at the MSDS - it would be safe for most brush lickers (my can is all dryed up though...otherwise I'd offer to send what I had left to you).

What is the aversion to auto paints?

Most of your better automotive paint stores keep the pure flipping aditives that gets mixed with the clear coat to achieve the effect on cars. If you don't have one locally, get in touch with Eastwood (www.eastwoodco.com). They sell water based iridescents in 4 oz. containers for $9 or so. Call them up and tell them what colors you want to flip and they will tell you what they have that will work for it.

Judging by what you said you wanted (Grape and Greens) take a look at Auto Air Flair Teal/Purple. I used that color on a car last year and looking at the MSDS - it would be safe for most brush lickers (my can is all dryed up though...otherwise I'd offer to send what I had left to you).

The aversion to auto paint is mostly experiences trying them as brush paint about twenty some odd years ago. It gummed up, it stank to high heck (I would never have licked those brushes, too close to the nose :wacko: ), and I had no luck with it. As a result I try to avoid non-water based paints as a general rule.

I am more than willing to admit that it is highly likely that the paints have improved, guess I just never tripped the "duh" switch off and thought to look into the evolution of automotive paints from the chemical/functional level after this long. Thanks for the smack to the forehead, seriously. :;):

Orchid - off to check out that stuff.

Orchid, just avoid the 2-stage ureathanes. They are some of the most striking colors out there, but stage-1 is the colors and they are rather dull until you coat them with the stage-2 clear coats.

Those things have some wicked chemestry associated with them. Exhaust fans, respirators, face shields and tyvec suits are a must if you try to spray them. (Imagine atomizing super glue and filling the room full of fumes.)

these were done with House of Kolor paints, airbrushed of course + a tad bit expensive but for the size of the bodies it was worth it for me

J Gordon Superman '99 red to blue

J Gordon Chromolusion '98 magenta to gold

J Gordon Bugs Bunny '01 purple to green

of course my photo skills & the way these works make it hard to photograph but the color change is obvious on curves & such

Also have a #43 STP/Smokey bear car that flips from cyan to purple in the works. I did spray my last bottle of that particular color on Vecirorax & it looks great, wish I could bring that one to Rcon this but the trip I think would be too much for it.

love the color changing paints, it's different then your normal paints. Great stuff.

RM