good anti-virus, anti-spyware programs?

Almathea Toes

Okay, I officially now detest Mcafee as a bunch of (insert favourite insulting name).

Here's why:

My dad's computer died. Motherboard processor and something else fried. So my Dad and I nip out pick up a new one capable of doing what we need at a price we're willing to pay. My dad does abstracting for a company in germany over the internet so speed of replacement was important. Alright, new computer new OS, four days of pain and suffering while I try to work out how to connect to the SQL server in Germany. I get that one solved, and approach the issue of reinstalling Mcafee. We bought it directly from them on-line a year ago, we updated the DAT subscription a month ago. Do you think I can redownload the program? Ha, ha, ha. So much for that promise of theirs. When interacting with customer service I get two emails telling me how to update using the DAT files. This despite me sending an intervening one stating clearly that I want the 25 dollars back for the useless subscription or the ability to redownload the blasted program. I wasn't sure how to be clearer than that. I've now been redirected to tech support. Some how I don't have a lot of hope. :angry:

So, in the interest of taking my family's bussiness elsewhere, anyone know of any reliable programs? NOD32 was looking apealing to me, but I simply don't know that much about these programs and the reviews aren't exactly the most helpful as no two can agree.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have McAfee for viruses, ZoneAlarm for firewall. It works alright...when I keep it updated. Last week, either someone hacking my computer or my brother (not a happy possibility, but he wasn't feeling particularly charitable towards me last week) deleted a couple of programs...nothing critical, but I lost some save games (replays of the game, but still...I was doing well :angry: ) and my mp3 sync software.

So, yeah, I'd be interested in suggestions of anything better also.

I'm using the Free version of AVG Anti Virus, and the free version of Kerio Firewall. I've also had good experiences with ZoneAlarm. Also, Norton Internet Security (firewall and AV) worked well for as long as I could afford to keep buying subscriptions.

For spyware I'm using Javacool SpywareBlaster, Spybot-SD, and AdAware from Lavasoft.

Also on a side note. If you are not, start using Firefox and install the following extensions. Adblock Plus and Adblock Filterset.G. These two extensions have completely prevented ads in my browsing. Also this WEBSITE details how to prevent Flash popups and such.

For anti virus, I prefer Norton but only the AV program. For malware I prefer Adaware from Lavasoft.

(Also tired of Nortons Re-ups)

AVG Corporate at work

AVG Free at home. I have yet to tell a difference between them

Spy bot at both.

Don't know what the corporate server uses for firewall, but it is pretty good.

Just use the Window XP pro built-in firewall.