Sign in to follow this  
Grimjack

Building a workshop/Hobby room

I am thinking of enclosing an 8x10 section of the garage as a painting/hobby room. I figure I am going to spend $500-$1000 when its done. My question is, Do you guys think I am crazy to spend that kind of money just so I have a place to paint? Right now I have a toolbox that I carry around and then have to spend all my time setting up/cleaning up. I end up having little time to actually paint. Secondly How do I convince my wife that it is a good idea to spend the money and steal the space from the square footage of the garage?

Right now I have a small spot in my basement. The only problem is I don't have the time right now to spend time painting there. If you do spend allot of time at hobby I would consider it money well spent. This way you can leave things the way the are and not have to worry about cleaning up. IMO if you spend ony a few hours a week at something trying to get a room justified is going to be an up hill battle on a slippery slope.

How do I convince my wife that it is a good idea to spend the money and steal the space from the square footage of the garage?

If that ain't the question for the ages!

You convince the wife by playing up the 'Now all my carp will be in one area and you can shut the door on it.' line.

One thing I would recommend is some way to get online while you're there. Helps for techniques when you're working.

I have one entire bedroom I use for almost all my hobbies. The 'close the door' theme works wonders.

I like the "keep all my stuff in one spot and close the door" idea. internet access wont be a problem (wireless router) but buying a 2nd pc for it might be.......Have to think about throwing it into the price cost...any suggestions from guys who have dedicated rooms about specific set-up? What do you wish you would have done, or done differently?

If I were making a dedicated space for miniature painting here are some things I wouldn't leave out.

Lots of lamps

a cutting surface

racks for paint storage

brush storage

shelf for refrence books

radio

display case/rack

being in a garage heat/cooling might be a concern

spray booth with ventilation

a place for cleaning materials (for minis and workspace)

paper towel rack

band aids and other saftey gak

comfy chair

be sure to show pics when it is done

I am thinking of enclosing an 8x10 section of the garage as a painting/hobby room. I figure I am going to spend $500-$1000 when its done. My question is, Do you guys think I am crazy to spend that kind of money just so I have a place to paint? Right now I have a toolbox that I carry around and then have to spend all my time setting up/cleaning up. I end up having little time to actually paint. Secondly How do I convince my wife that it is a good idea to spend the money and steal the space from the square footage of the garage?

I was thinking of doing something along these lines as well but my husband vetoed me <_< The "Shut the Door" theory doesn't work as well on men :lol: Right now I'm having to paint on the kitchen table which is competing with meals and my sons schoolwork etc. and not working out well at all (although the lighting there is excellent). So for Plan B-I'm thinking of building a paint desk with a hutch and doors-kind of like those computer armoires-only a lot cheaper. Someone on CMoN built one for under $100 (I can't find the thread now-if anyone finds it please post it ::D: ) and it looked like it would work for me. I'm thinking that and a good-sized bookshelf in our office room would do the trick and cost about $200. Then I'll set up small corner of the garage as a dedicated priming and cutting area. One advantage to this is that there's already a computer in the office and it's heated. The one drawback is that Sasha-Destroyer of Mini's has claimed the office as her domain-but having doors on the paint desk *should* be enough to discourage her.

Hee hee! I doubt anyone on this forum is going to think you're crazy for building a paint room :blush: Would love to see pictures of what you come up with!

Not to rain on your parade, but (sorry I'm falling into business mode....can't ....stop...) have you considered how this may affect the resale value of your home? Will your garage still be able to park 1/2 cars? If not I think I would dedicate an area in the garage but not have a dedicated room. If your garage isn't finished then the money will add to the value of the home so that could help sell the wifey and in the process give you ample opportunity to set up a corner for your hobby. That said, if this is the home you plan to die in... Go for it!

Its the home were staying in until at least retirement, plus I will still have room for one car, and my motorcycle. I talked to the wife abuot it this evening, and that woman never ceases to amaze me. I was prepped for counter arguments for all the reasons she was going to give me why it was a bad idea. Instead she said, "It's the garage, Do whatever you want!" SO I am going to start on that as soon as the master bath remodel is done. I'll post before and after photos when its done

You're not crazy at all. After I finish getting stuff right in the house, I'm converting my garage into a transformer....well, a gaming area designed so that I can pack it away quick when a hailstorm is rolling up on us and still fit one of the two cars in (it's only a one car garage).

The one good thing about living in Ca is the Weather. I could leave the cars out of the garage all year, and they would only get wet. ::D:

any suggestions from guys who have dedicated rooms about specific set-up?

Best advice is to plan the whole thing out before you start, and to keep one part of the plan open for the things you are guaranteed to forget.

1. Build a cable run into one wall (a channel with access ports at the top and bottom of both sides of the wall, so you can add cables/hoses/whatevers at a later date withough drilling)

2. Install a fan port in case you take up airbrushing.

3. Install excessive amounts of track lighting on separate switches.

4. Install a small sink, or get a portable camping type.

5. Check your garage circuit breaker for capacity.

If you are doing the work yourself, pay a pro to give it a once-over when you finish.

Heh, I'm remodeling a 12X20 shed for my workshop.

tb_600.jpg

something like this only bigger. ::D:

Right now I've got four skylights, I'm about to put in a few windows, a side door, add a loft, run electricity to it, insulate it, panel it and put in an air conditioner.

I'm debating on whether to put a wall in the center and making a 10X12 workspace and leaving the rest for storage.

Needless to say this will cost a bit so it's going a bit slowly.

I'm also going to add a lean to type structure to the side of the shed to take my huge lawnmower out of the shed itself.

Well, construction has started! I didn't snap any before pics ( mostly because I forgot) but I will get some in progress pics up soon. The room ended up being 10x10, and I put in a pocket door to open up more wall space. I also decided to add a floor in the rafters of the garage, put in a stairwell, and finish the entire garage with drywall so my costs shot up, but hey it only money ( and lots of side jobs)!