Sign in to follow this  
Remy Soujirou

Introductions -- Reaper Con attendees

Hi, my name is John Allison, but I usually go by Doc or Dr. J. On ReaperGames I am Lord Abbot. I am a gargantuan (6'4 350lb) monster usually clad in a shirt with a pithy statement on it. (I don't look like my avatar either) If you cant find me, just look up ::P: I am an avid Warlord player and a poor painter and will be playing as many people as humanly possible that weekend. (I will have tables and terrain in my trunk). Not much else I can say- you need to see the disaster that is me in person to understand it ::D:

Oh, I discovered that I'm running BOTH a Wonderland No More RPG (Friday morning) AND an Adon D20 module (Sunday morning), as well as playing in the Warlord tournament. Should be a good time. I might be able to breathe between 2 and 4pm on Saturday.

I might be wearing a shirt with Doc's avatar on it sometime over the weekend. ::P:

Hello,

Since I am new (very new) to this forum and am attending Reapercon I figured this would be a good place to introduce myself. My name is Doug. I started my mini addiction at a young age when I found Citadel minis on the shelf at a local hobby store. I played some D&D early on but have always been drawn to the artistic aspects of the hobby. Now I am about 85% painter and 15% sculptor. I have been to Gamesday the last three years and this is my first Reapercon. I had the opportunity to meet many of the legendary Reaper painters / sculptors in Denver at Genghis Con in Feb and am looking to get more involved in the community. I signed up for some sculpting classes to get some instruction from the best. However, most of my time will be spent hanging out and painting. Am looking forward to meeting everyone and talking shop about minis. I also here there is a painting contest going on... ::):

Doug

Hello

According to my wife I am 29, but was born in 72. Go figure. My name is Brandon, but I answer to about anything. I started role playing about 20 so years ago...... Been that long......Got into wargaming shortly affter. the ol Rouge trader. Been playing ever since. Well a couple of games a year does count as playing. I like to paint and play. Not good at either. Ask Spartan and Saint of Sinners. This will be My 1st ever Con. You might be able to pick me out of a crowd. My hat stands out except in the woods...... Anyways I am looking forward to meeting everyone. See ya soon .

My name is Shaun. I am coming up with the cats from KS. This is my second RCON. My pic can be seen in my profile. I started as a gamer and now I am about 55% gamer, 45% painter. Those percentages vary according to the time of year and many other factors. Ill be running some cav demos over the weekend so stop by and say hello.

I'm Jonathan, I'm about as quiet in person as i am on the boards (been lurking around here for 2 years reading on almost a daily basis and only have about 30 posts...) so chances are you'll see me just sitting somewhere quietly absorbed in painting or reading, listening to what everyone has to say but not adding much myself unless someone happens to strike up a conversation with me in particular. It's not me trying to be rude, I'm just a quiet guy =)

Likely I'll be sitting next to my wife (mysticeyes42) who will be conversing with anyone who happens to be in earshot unless she's in a class =) she is definately much more outgoing than I am.

I'd like to say whether I'm more of a gamer or a painter, but i don't seem to have as much time for either of them lately - I've been playing wargames for...25 years now (and I'm only a couple of months from turning 30) started off when my dad taught me to play a simplified version of wooden ships and iron men when I was a wee thing because he was (and still is) desperate for opponents and I've been hooked ever since. For most of my life as a gamer I have been playing those board games that come with hex maps and little cardboard squares with lots of numbers on them - hardly the pinnacle of visual excitement. When i saw actual 3d figures in metal for battletech I was amazed, and instantly addicted, but the idea of painting them other than a single color to distinguish them never really crossed my mind until I encountered the rogue trader edition of WH40K - once I got that about 14-15 years ago my mind was blown - minis without a hex map, painted relistically, with miniature terrain to hide behind made out of trash? amazing!

I've been painting since then, but you couldn't tell to look at my figs. I'd been pretty much painting in a vaccuum as I never thought to check online for tips until I got a casketworks mentioning the first reapercon and I was directed to this forum for info - since that first con, I've progressed by leaps and bounds thanks to exposure of a wider community of painters - still not as good as I would like, definately not as good as the amount of experience I have might make you think, but I'm getting there...

Hi all! I'm Kristi, long time board member, first time Con-er. ::D: My pic is in my profile as well. I started painting and painting D&D in '03. Actually the painting was a challenge given to me being the rookie of the gaming group. Their minis were painted and mini was not. I was told I had to paint my own. Long story short, I'm now the official painter of the group!

I'm married to Vapok, a time to time board lurking. He's more into the computer gaming world; WoW, Generals etc. We're both heading our before the crack of dawn on Thursday and I venture to say we'll be the only Tennesseans at the Con, though I'd like to be proven wrong...

We did attend Steve's Warlord Weekend (The Unofficial Southeastern RCon) and had a BLAST! Looking forward to reconnecting with the GA crew and meeting other boardsters ::P: This being my first RCon (first con of anything actually) I'll be taking in as much as I can. I'm enrolled in 4 painting classes and I plan on entering a few of the painting contests as well.

Can wait to see everyone there! Safe travels! ^_^

Hi, I'm Kevin. I'm 29. I'm single.

And I love Sophie.

:wub:

Well, I guess I should say a bit more than that. :;):

I've been playing RPGs and Wargames (D&D, Warhammer, Warlord, etc.) for going on 20 years, now. I only just "discovered" Reaper in the past six months, despite the fact that I've lived within 15 minutes of them since they first started! I'll be at ReaperCon with my six painting contest entries, fervently hopin' fer a real purty Sophie Trophie. ::D:

Hey all! I'm Patrick, (no web handle) and I sculpt and paint stuff. My wife is Vicky and this will be our first ReaperCon as well. We attended our first Reaper Artist Con in October. There's a photo in the profile but generally I'm most recognizable as the guy who looks like Silent Bob.

I used to build Aurora dinosaur kits as a kid and when Star Wars came out I began my modeling career at 10. I started with D&D when it was printed as three little brown books in a white box. I bought my first miniature at the time Ral Parth had about 20 or so releases available. I started playing Warhammer 40K when it was called Rogue Trader. So yeah - I'm an "old timer!"

Vicky and I met when I was the manager of a comic/game store in Mesquite, TX (near Dallas). She commissioned me to paint a bunch of the old Grenadier dragons, and I figured it would just be easier to show her how to paint. A few years later we were married and she kicked the crap outta me (and my friends) on a pretty regular basis with her rats and bugs armies.

Since '99 I have hired myself out to several game companies as a freelance fantasy artist and have done some work on Earthdawn, Game of Thrones CCG and Arcana Evolved. I started sculpting again after GenCon in '05 and recently released my first mini through our own website.

This will be the first time that Vicky and I have entered our work into a painting competition.

Howdy, Howdy!

Oddly enough, my name really is Glen. :B): I'm what you call a social painter. I much prefer painting in the company of friends. Sadly, with a wife and three children under 6, I don't get much time to paint. I've been averaging 3 minis/year now for the past 3 years. :down: I play Warlord rarely; mostly using the minis in my RPG's. I remember ordering minis through the mail as a budding gamer. Ahh! the smell of Testor's enamel brings back such sweet memories. I keep making plans to get up to the Asylum on Saturdays, but more important things keep cropping up. ::(: It remains a plan for the next free Saturday that I have (likely sometime next year).

I knew ReaperJay for most of my life before finding out she was also a gamer! ::D: All those lost years of only my and my best friend taking turns being the DM! We had a whole group pf cool people to game with and we never knew it. Eight years ago I discovered that ReaperMatt and ReaperJay were also into RPGs after Matt dropped some "gamer lingo." Been gaming with them ever since.

I continued to game throughout the time when I was dating my wife. She was awfully curious, and skeptical, of "those games" I played that kept me from visiting her on the weekends (she was living 200 miles away then). After we were married, I slowly brought her into the fold. She now actively games with us, though she won't play a spellcaster (too many things to remember). My two oldest girls (5 and 3) get excited when we're having a game at our house. They know Jay will let them sit on her lap and play with the minis not being used. :wub:

I'm pretty easy to pick out of a crowd. What little hair still grows on my head, I shave off. If it's not the glare from the shiny bald pate, then it's probably the glow from the sunburn (I dislike hats) that stands out.

Looking forward to meeting more great people!

Glen

Hi. My name's Matt. I've been gaming off and on for 26 years now (geesh - has it been that long?). Mostly D&D variants, with a few others thrown in (CoC, Deadlands, Gamma World, Alternity, Star Wars, etc.). I've also been intensely interested in collecting and painting figures for about the same time period, and recently I've become interested in sculpting as well. Unfortunately I haven't had as much time to paint and sculpt as I would like. College, grad school, work, etc. have held me back quite a bit. But hopefully that will change soon, as my fiancee is on her way to becoming the major bread-winner, leaving me with an opportunity to make up for some lost time.

This will be my first RCon. I'm attending a bunch of classes - 4 sculpting and 3 painting I think. And when I'm not in class, hopefully I'll be painting or sculpting with a bunch of you at the tables, or carousing and eating BBQ or Mexican food. I'm majorly bummed that I haven't had time to paint anything for the contest. I've just wrapped up my job of 2 1/2 years and we are getting ready to move on the 10th, so I haven't had any time to throw the brushes around. Hopefully this will be my first of many RCons, and I'll get some entries in at a later con. Then again, there's always Thursday and Friday if I can get some painting in.

Looking forward to meeting you all. ::):

My name is Erika (sirikus' wife). I have been painting on and off (mostly off, I have too many hobbies) for about 4 years. Wow I haven't really improved since my first mini. :down: I have only painted about 10-15 minis since I started. It's all my husbands fault as to why I paint; but I love it.

My husband was correct in his description of me. I will chat with random people; I'm an extrovert, he's an introvert; yet can type more about himself than I can about myself (hmm) Okay, I'm good at talking about nothing in particular and he can talk up a storm about minis, gaming, and the quality of our local game stores.

This will be our 3rd ReaperCon (been there from the beginning!)

:unsure: That is all.

Hi all! I'm Chris and.......

Oh screw this..LOL Just come find me at RCON or ShinerCon and stick out your hand and I'll be happy to swap life stories with you if I'm not engaged in blowing up something Rach. ::):

Sharky here - aka "Gary" or "Goober Head" (to the wife). This will be my first RCon (pfft, first -con anything in ten or so years). I've been painting at tiny army men for at least 20 years, though you wouldn't know it to look at 'em. This Con marks my rediscovery in Reaper miniatures - I've always liked their stuff, but I was too busy playing the games from that "other gaming company" to do more than collect them. About a month ago, I saw the adverts for ReaperCon's painting contest and decided that I hadn't really embarassed myself in public lately, so why not enter?

I've been trying to teach myself how to play Warlord lately, and plan on putting together a Dwarf force after the Con. Why Dwarves? Because I'm just so happy to see Dwarf miniatures that aren't little bellies with a head, feet and stumpy arms attached! Hopefully, I'll be annoying a FLGS soon.

I'll be the tall bald guy with the scruffy goatee on his chin. I may or may not have my usual accessory attached to me - an extremely cute, 3 year old boy with blonde spiky hair. In the past few weeks, you may have seen us in the gaming stores in the northern DFW area - me digging through the Reaper minis racks, him slumped on my shoulder, snoring in my ear.