ECCM pod

Just what the topic says.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the ECCM upgrade would help the drift roll and not necessarily the damage roll, since it's really a targeting bonus? Yay or nay? Or am I completely wrong?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yes it would seem to be a targeting bonus but from what I can derive from the rules (and how we have been playing it) it doesn't help the drift because the drift roll seems to be mainly concerned with how well the shell is lobbed. It has less to do with the target as it does with the fire control of the attacking unit. The ECCM comes into play as the shell lands and the fletchettes,shrapnel,napalm, whatever hits the targets in the area and the ECCM gear is messing with their electronics so that they are easier to hit because they are not taking evasive action as well as if they were not being scrambled. So no on the drift but yes on the damage.

I could be way off but that's my 2 cents.

Edit: Of course this is the CAV2 version of it since I never got a chance to play CAV1

The latest information I have is this...

If a target model is within 6 inches of an ESM or ECCM equipped model you get a +1 Ranged Combat Situational Modifier. It's my understanding that this applies to direct fire only. I could be wrong, Pat is the one to clarify this, but I've never used this modifier for indirect fire.

The FRS and Barrage Special Abilities effect indirect fire modifiers.

I'm not so sure I'd want my ESM/ECCM unit within 6" of incoming AOE rounds...especially not since the Conqueror uses 4" pie plates-o'-death.

True enough, I'm just thinking of a Velveeta tactic with ECCM pods on cheap fast vehicles to give the IF guys in the back an edge.

If you read the rules literally it comes down to the line that says "Applicable Ranged Combat Modifiers". By the rules currently presented it would not help on the drift roll because you add your RAV and Drift Situational Modifiers to range in on the target, and then for the damage roll you add your RAV and "Applicable Ranged Combat Modifiers"

Soo I will have check with the powers above to figure out if we are going to want this as a Applicable Ranged Combat Modifier"

Mad Pat