Fantasy Races Opinions

twjolson

Everyone seems to have a favorite race when it comes to fantasy games and settings. I am wondering, which do you like and why? What don't you like about them? What races do you hate and why? Go nuts on this question.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The elves of middle earth are probably my favorite. I think I have read the Silmarillion a half dozen times now and still enjoy it as much as the first. Tolkein just did a marvelous job of creating a race that seems so perfect (noble, graceful, beautiful and knowledgeable) at least on the surface. And yet hidden faults make them easy to identify with and feel sorry for them. Feanor and his sons, the death of Fingolfin, and the betrayal of the city of Gondolin all are so tragic for a race that tried to be so flawless. I don't really have a race that I particularly dislike though i must admit as a DM killing a halfling can be fun since the little buggers never seem to get their come-up-ins even when they make what should be absolutely suicidal mistakes. IE Frodo putting on The One Ring in front of the Witch King and a host of Nazgul, or Bilbo talking trash to Smaug while he is invisible! :;):

I played alot of drow in my younger days. Not the Drizzt clones you see outt there. Nope, low-down, mean, dirty rotton scoundrals. The key is to be very subtle and not run around killing everyone in sight.

Lately though I like to play half-orcs and will be making great use of the half-orc monk released awhile back.

in my rpg heyday, it was the Rakasta, before TSR made it a race I had it as a home made race, don't know what it was bout catmen that I liked. offical races I've always liked dwarves, just something about a dwarven fighter/cleric deicated to Clanggadin (twin battle axes attack) or even just a plain fighter is something I've always liked to play. Elves are close second.

everything else is sorta ehh ok I'll play it...kinda feelin thou lately I make up alot of just humans anymore...

RM

My favourites are the Borribles. They were in a childrens book by some french author which was deemed far to violent for children by most adults. Borribles llok like children (or perhaps hobbits) but are a race of thieves and scoundrels that dwell in the sewers in our midst. They may look like children but are very cynical and bad tempered. Sort of like a cross between a streeturchin from Bogota and a halfling.

It's very contemporary "low" fantasy though, set in our times.

Generally speaking I like the small people, the low lifes and the anti heros. Really can't stand the heroic types and when roleplaying (live or otherwise) I allways play lowlife loser of one kind or other. It's a much more fun part actingwise.

Oh and I hate western dragons with a passion. Silly creatures. ::P: Chinese dragons I like though.

man, I love me a good western dragon. But those chinese ones, with all the dancing around, well, they're just silly.

I like to play subtle things. I'd rather be the sneaky elven thief than the big brawny grunts-for-words barbarian. Then again, there aint much that is more fun than droppin about 17 million little gobbos in one swing with said barbarian.

was anything I just wrote coherent? my thoughts are getting all backwards. I should sleep.

I got new shoes today ::D:

edit: see, this is a silly chinese dragon.

prankdragon4qs.th.jpg

Kobalds! They are the underdogs. Always underestimated. Can never get enough of them.

My second choice would be Gnolls. Big and brutal eating machines. They look scary.

As for PC races I like HUMANS!

Least favorite race is Drow. I'm just sick of hearing about them.

I like dwarves because they're dwarfly and make good beer.

Right on me brother! At last another dwarf lover! They can kick the arse of any pansy elf ever to riddle the lands with their pansiness.

I also like Orcs/half-Orcs, and humans. Always thought they were cool.

My least favorite race is elves (minus Dark elves). Why? Read first sentence.

Gnomes and Centaurs are pretty neat too!

Chinese dragons are "genius loci", small deity guardians of a certain place (such as for instance a certain river or such), and thus are allowed to look a bit sissy. Western dragons on the other hand are just big beasts and not very believable beasts at that.

I like them the way they're portrayed in "Wizard of earthsea" though. Much like they are described in Tolkien of course but I just fall asleep reading his books.

In an RPG my friends and I have been designing, we have a race called the Durrelivai (children of the earth.) They are similar to dwarven races, but their fingers ar clawlike, for digging through the earth.

Due to a falling out between the to Dwarven Gods in the early history, the Durrelivai are a race sworn to be protectors and are often hired out as Bodyguards who have basically taken a blood oath.

and ninjas, cause ninjas are cool, and by cool i mean totaly sweet.