Sign in to follow this  
King Tiger

Favorite supporting character?

I dont wish to steal twjolson's thunder, but his thread got me to thinking about another question similiar to his "favorite races". My question is who is your favorite supporting fantasy character in literature? I''ll start by listing my own. In Terry Brooks book The Wishong of Shannara there is a mysterious weaponsmaster named Garret Jax. Brooks leaves him very underdeveloped and yet describes him enough to make me want to know so much more about him. Sadly he is slain by a powerul demon before we can learn much more about him. Many is the day I have wanted Brooks to write a story that makes him the main character! So who is your favorite supporting character and why?

Vido from the Warhammer novel "Zavant", by Gordon Rennie. Zavant Konniger is the Sherlock Holmes of the Warhammer world, and Vido is his halfling manservant. He's the Watson to Zavant's Sherlock, but more than that at times, as so much of the stories are from Vido's viewpoint. Great supporting character.

Vido is a great supporting character and the Zavant novel is one of my favorites in the Warhammer line. I wish Rennie would write another.

Decado

@Decado--I'm with ya 100% on that.

I don't even play Warhammer but I've got about 60 of the novels. Some are better than others, as let's face it, the reading level is not too high.

What's it gonna take to get Rennie to write another collection of Zavant stories?

joshuaslater,

I am not sure but I would buy it in a second. For gaming type fiction I think the Warhammer novels are the best. I do not have nearly as many Warhammer novels as you do but I really enjoyed the Witch Hunter series and Gotrek & Felix novels. I have many more that I have enjoyed as well but those are the my immeadiate favorites.

Decado

There was a fellow named "Sticks" in one of hose Vladimir Taltos books. He was an enforcer type in the criminal world. I really liked that guy, but never got to learn much about him

[highjack thread] my favorite non literature supporter was Shepppard Book from firefly. He was so cool and had this hidden past, and we never got to learn about it. [/highjack thread]

Sorry can't remember their names bu there's this book called "Underworld" that features two of my absolute favourite psychotically deranged crooks. A couple that are mad as hatters both of them. Anybody remember what they were called?

I also definitely support the weasels in "Wind of the Willows". Far better than the mole and the rat I feel.

joshuaslater,

Right now I am reading Inheritance book One of the Von Carstein Trilogy by Steven Savile. So far the book is really good but I am wonder where these events take place in the chronology of Warhammer world. Have you read this one yet?

Decado

I've read it, and thought it was pretty weak. I've been a Warhammer novel junkie for about three years now, and found them to be usually escapist reading that I'll tear through in about a sitting or two. I agree with you that the Slayer series was good, anything by C.L. Werner (Brunner and Witch hunter), and the Zavant novel is still my favorite. I like tearing through them, even the mediocre ones.

I got into reading these books as I gave up let's just say a more rock and roll lifestyle, and they filled a void. Having started with these novels I've gotten into George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series which I've found to be the best fantasy I've ever read, and easily (getting back on thread) supplies a dozen great supporting/main characters across the story line. Can't wait for the next one!

while it's not traditional fantasy, my favorite supporting characters by far both come from jim butcher's dresden files - bob the skull and Murphy - it's a toss up...

Which is the supporting character, Felix or Gotrek?

Bili the Axe is up there pretty high as are Lan Mandragoran, Oladahn and Moonglum. I was also very sad when Rachir the Red Archer died.

I think that Gotrek and Felix vie for who's the lead and who's the supporting character. It's one of the things that makes the series so good.