Battle Totems Rule!

Once upon a time, under a grand mountain... :B):

Ok ok ok. So my tale isn't all that spiffy and exciting. But, I must say that after witnessing how awesome my Battle Totem was against the Reptus in our 1,500 point showdown I am now hooked!! :bday:

In that battle, outside of the totem I only had one other piece of equipment, Divine Favor. AND I also fielded 10 units. However, he ALSO fielded 10 units, 5 of which were trolls! :wacko:

That totem moved it from crappy odds of hitting to ok odds. I know that doesn't sound like much, but trust me, what a world of difference it makes! I firmly believe I was winning the game because of the totem!

Last year, when I was first introduced to the game in January '05, I read through the rulebook and was like "Who in their right mind would EVER take a totem? What a waste of points!!" :upside:

Until about two (maybe three) months ago, no one in my store ever played with a Battle Totem. We couldn't justify it's existence into our armies. Better to have X additional attacks instead of +1 for everyone. That was the reasoning.

Our local Crypt Legion player started off the totem trend by playing one. However, it didn't really make that much of a difference in the first few games. He would either roll really well (hence, he didn't need it) or roll really bad (hence, it didn't matter it was there). A couple of weeks passed and then I ran the tournament at my store. Like half of the people there fielded a totem, much to my suprise! ::o:

I was not able to watch all of the games so I don't know how well they helped or hindered. (By the way, Stubbdog's totem was the best. Ask him sometime. :devil: ) In the weeks since the tournament, more and more of us have adopted playing with one. For once, I was able to see it finally matter in a game. All of a sudden those 7s you would normally miss with are now hitting! Wow! ^_^

I know I am going to start using a Battle Totem on a regular basis. I was planning on reworking all of the armies I have played into the ground anyways. Now I just have a further excuse. :lol:

So, how many other of you out there actually play with a totem on a regular basis? Do you find it helps? Hurts? No real difference? Enquiring minds want to know! :lol:

Wild Bill :blues:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find in general that it works better on 'horde' armies than on armies with higher-priced units. Reven and Necropolis seem to be the best choices to use it with, given their cheap supply of grunts.

Currently building one for Nefsokar, but not sure I'll actually field it.

I like fielding it with my Reptus; our warriors have a great DV (11, plus Deflect against ranged), but the MAV of 1 kinda bites. The totem grants that extra +1 for the warriors, turning them into a respectible force. I also like what it does to the higher MAVs of the trolls. ::D:

I tend not to field it when I'm running Crusaders, as it just doesn't seem to be necessary. I also find that I don't use them in lower-point games either.

~v

Here's a question. How many people keep to the 2"x2" minimum base size for a Totem? I'd love to use my Chariot that I painted up as one, but it's about 3"x5" overall. I know it makes it more vulnerable to getting looted, but what do folks think about using odd-sized totems?

Spike was working on a Throne of Skulls at Reapercon, with a slightly different take.

Hello. Anyone there? Oh hey Narg. Ummm I'm out over here. Can you spare me a couple squares? Just pass it under the partition. And light a match won't you.

:lol:

Here's a question. How many people keep to the 2"x2" minimum base size for a Totem? I'd love to use my Chariot that I painted up as one, but it's about 3"x5" overall. I know it makes it more vulnerable to getting looted, but what do folks think about using odd-sized totems?

My Overlord totem is 3x3 (4th pic frosch linked to). I arranged it all on a 2x2, but it was too cramped.

PS

As those at the tournament saw, I'm using a jade (well, fake jade) oriental dragon carving mounted on a 50mm base as my totem. It is, in fact, the only part of my army that I'm at all responsible for creating. :lol:

I don't have a pic of it handy, but I'll get one this Sunday at Warlord and add it to the thread.

~v