Digitally sculpting a spaceliner (WIP)

Here it is:

post-391-1147553995_thumb.jpg

Don't worry about the faceting, this is a low res preview.

I used Silo to model it. It's probably 50% right now. The opening in the front is supposed to be a multi-story window. The gashes in the sides are the windows for the upercrust suites, in which one entire wall is a window. Everyone else gets smaller windows which I don't intend to model. They won't show up at the scale this thing will be printed at.

It's probably about 50% done right now. Tweak the geometry, add some greebles, etc.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry about the faceting, this is a low res preview.

I used Silo to model it. It's probably 50% right now. The opening in the front is supposed to be a multi-story window. The gashes in the sides are the windows for the upercrust suites, in which one entire wall is a window. Everyone else gets smaller windows which I don't intend to model. They won't show up at the scale this thing will be printed at.

It's probably about 50% done right now. Tweak the geometry, add some greebles, etc.

How is Silo, for a newb?

I just picked up Hex2 (on sale insanely cheap, link on my site in sig) and have just started dabbling in the building side of the 3d thing.

Model is looking good, I like it. ::D:

The front section of it reminds me of the barrel of a futuristic gun... :-)

Thanks for the info on Hex2; my husband was thinking of getting the platinum membership specifically to get that software.

What are you going to use for a renderer? And which platform are you working on?

I'll have to go look at silo, thanks. ::):

I am impressed with anyone that makes anything that can be recognized at this point, and this ship falls well within the recognizable.

(I finally managed something that looks kind of like a cross between a beholder and a ball of ooze :blink: )

post-391-1147743004_thumb.jpg

post-391-1147743016_thumb.jpg

So here we are, almost done. I need a few greebles to the bridge, but I like how this has come out. Added the shuttle bay down front, added some greebles to the body. Overall, I am liking it.

Next I plan to design a interdiction 'pocket' carrier. IE, a small carrier with some fighters and guns designed to take on pirates on the lawless frontiers and sparsely patrolled trade routes on the fringes of space.