Motivational Challenge

Lastman

How about a weekly signup where people commit to posting a pic of a newly completed mini every week?

I know I'm not the only one who has a lot of unpainted minis in/on the "To Do" box/pile/shelf.

It's not a competition because skill is not a factor: The "winner" is chosen randomly from everyone who submits a pic of a completed Reaper mini. Perhaps you post the unpainted one on Sunday and must post the painted version by the following Sunday?

Pros and novices are encouraged to commit and submit. I know I can't compete with the pros, but that shouldn't discourage me or anyone from practicing. Think of all the feedback you'll get-- who doesn't want to get closer to producing some awesome display caliber figures?

No idea about prizes yet... maybe just the satisfaction of completing at one mini per week and feedback. But that's not exciting!

What do you think? It's a new idea so many details need to be worked out.

P.S. I had this idea just now while on the beta chat. I was describing it as a Weekly Contest but Jester's comment led to the much better name Motivational Challenge.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On one of the Battletech forums I visit they have a monthly miniature challenge. Four mechs are chosen, one in each weight class, and you paint one or all of the mechs chosen and submit them. The community then votes for each weight class and the winner chooses the mini to paint the next month. Don't know how well that would work here, but it is a lot of fun and we usually have a dozen or so entries.

No idea about prizes yet... maybe just the satisfaction of completing at one mini per week and feedback. But that's not exciting!

Are you kidding, every time I finish a mini I'm so excited I hardly wait for the paint to dry before I'm setting up the tripod to take a pic and toss it up here. (And out here, it don't take long for the paint to dry!)

Four mechs are chosen, one in each weight class, and you paint one or all of the mechs chosen and submit them.
The only problem I have with that is that you have to have the chosen mini(s), and if you don't you have to go out and buy one which could get prohibitive.

The only problem I have with that is that you have to have the chosen mini(s), and if you don't you have to go out and buy one which could get prohibitive.

It's just a fun thing to get people painting. Not meant to make people buy minis. I just paint the ones I have, and if I win I choose one I have also. Although the last few months I haven't finished them.

One way of getting around this would be to use general broad themes. Something armored. Something elven. Something mounted. Something reptilian. Something monstrous. Etc.

Keep it broad enough and you could even paint CAV to the theme, just change the color scheme and the freehand deco. ::P:

Even if there's not much interest, I'm going to go ahead and be first.

I'll have a picture of a completed Lamaan the Sorcerer here next Sunday or else... something I dunno. I'll just do it.

I posted the initial WIP in a question and it's in Pine Sol now but that's the one.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?...topic=21518&hl=

That's the format I was thinking... any reaper fig, initial WIP pic on Sunday and pic of completed fig the next Sunday.