Sign in to follow this  
NymMoondown

Sunny California

I'm moving to Alameda, which I think is short for Oakland, sometime in the next few weeks. Anyone out there in the vicinity?

First of all, welcome to California. Join the other 25 million people here.

Secondly, welcome to the San Francisco Bay Area, join the other six million here.

Thirdly, Alameda is not Oakland. Believe me, not even close.

This is a general map of Alameda. It all fits on that little island. Half of that island used to be a Navy base, they're slowly working on changing that.

Oakland surrounds Alameda on two sides, the bay surrounds the rest.

You'll want to think layers. Alameda gets some suprisingly sudden changes in temp, what with the bay right there. You head west to the beach and you'll see some of the best views of San Francisco around. (look north and you see the Port of Oakland, but hey...)

Thirdly, unless you have a car of your own, look into the local bus and light rail / subway systems.

And thirdly, I'm about 30 miles away, so PM me when you're in the area.

--LSH.

Woot! Looks like LSH is going to have another person to game and paint minis with! Awesome! ::D:

Congrats on the move. Hope it works out well for you.

You'll also be very close to Berkeley. Not my favorite town, but it is home to Zachary's which happens to make the best pizza that you have ever had in you're entire life!!!!!!

Look into the Bay Area Mini Painter's group:

Club gatherings take place at Paradox games in Campbell and Endgame in Oakland.

Gatherings are the second Sunday of each month from 12 - 5. Bring your painting gear and some mini's and drop by! It's very informal and generally lot's of fun.

Hoody hoo!!

Endgame

921 Washington

Oakland, CA 94607

Paradox Playground Games

2050 S. Bascom Ave. #5

Campbell, CA 95008

and there is an upcoming Convention, Kublacon the end of this month.

best of luck

I've arrived in California with an aching in my heart. :lol:

Don't worry, give yourself a little time, the Bay Area is an awesome place to live, and the mini painting community is very tight and friendly.

I'm in Napa myself, about an hour north of Alameda. I try to get down to the SFBAMP meetings in Oakland whenever they have them. You should try to come by this month (OK, next month, in June), there are some amazing painters who come to hang out, paint, discuss minis and even give feedback. Sounds like you live very close by.

Also be sure to join the Yahoo group and introduce yourself. :)

KublaCon rocked this year! My head is still spinning thinking about all I learned, saw and experienced there with relation to minis.

So Nym, you gonna make it to the SFBAMP meeting this Sunday? At Endgame (address is above in ladystorm's message) 12 or 1 to 5 or so. :)

Michael

Now that I have to work (I went from 0 jobs to 3 in one day), I'll be working for the majority of the time, but I get off at 3. One problem though. I didn't know whether my paint jars would explode from taking the flight accross the country and I wasn't too eager to find out, so all my mini stuff is still in the heartland. Do you know if they have supplies for n00bcakes to barrow?

Now that I have to work (I went from 0 jobs to 3 in one day), I'll be working for the majority of the time, but I get off at 3. One problem though. I didn't know whether my paint jars would explode from taking the flight accross the country and I wasn't too eager to find out, so all my mini stuff is still in the heartland. Do you know if they have supplies for n00bcakes to barrow?

Congrats on the jobs! I've had the same thing happen to me before, but more often than not it went the other way (3 to 0) ;)

Technically you're supposed to bring your own gear, but at least one guy I'm sure will bring a whole set of paints (vallejo--he brings them everywhere he goes) and doesn't usually mind sharing. I'm probably going to bring a limited number of paints myself, but if you let me know which colors you'd like I can probably bring those along too.