Jasco/Game Exchange Warlord Open 3

*** New Info Added 6/20/06

Back by popular demand the Jasco/Game Exchange Warlord Open!!!

When: June 24th Noon to Six

Where: Jasco Games

2240 Morriss Rd

Flower Mound, TX 75028

(972) 355-5380

[email protected]

What: 1500 point Warlord army. Any model available is eligible (Models with SAs that have not been published yet may not utilized that SA). All other standard force creation rules apply. Only published faction books may be used.

How: The tournament will be run with one special opening scenario ice breaker round, followed by Three standard Swiss style tournament rounds. Noon to One will be registration and setup, Round one will start promptly at 1 and last 45 min. Rounds two through four will last one hour each with a 15min break between each round.

Players will be responsible for providing their own miniatures (painted armies are highly recommended but not mandated), All play aids (dice, tape measure, counters if needed for your force) and two printed force lists (one will be turned into the tournament team the other is for your use). Players should also be registered with ReaperGames.com and have their member number with them so that all of the games played can be recorded for the event.

Prizes will be awarded for First, Second and Third place, as well as a few other special prizes.

More information will be posted here so please check back often for up to date info!

*** FAQ Section

Question. Can I augment that ice breaker sublist? That is to say, if I took the same units that would be from the primary list, but add say a musician or speed upgrade that would not be on the primary list?

Answer: Yes the restriction is that the models must come from your main Tourny list, you may upgrade and augment them as you see fit.

The Nefsokar book will not be valid for this Tourney. Any SA listed in the Nefsokar book on models released Prior to 6/24 will be usable. Tournament organizers reserve the right to use any rules clarifications in the new book for dispute resolution.

Restriction of Freelance force construction has been removed.

**** First Round (Ice Breaker Scenario)

Scenario Capture the flag.

Players: 4 players per 4*4 table

Points one troop of no more then 200 points.

Rules: a single troop made up of units from your tournament list. The troop must be of legal composition using one Sargent, and may not contain any elites or solos. All units must come from your main tournament list but do not have to be part of the same troop on that list. All normal restrictions and requirements must be meet for force organization. For the purpose of initiative your force will be broken into teams of two. A modified draw deck will be built for this round using one card per team in your troop, any other cards granted by Special Ability will also be added.

The Game: the board will have a specific number of flags placed upon it at strategic locations. Your goal is to collect as many flags as possible before the end of the game. A model may pick up or drop a flag by using a non combat loot/coupe action. Any models slain while carrying flags may have their flags taken from them by use of a loot/coupe action. Any flags returned to the players starting zone will be considered safe from looting. Models may not conduct any combat actions while holding the flag but may defend themselves as normal.

Reward: At the end of the game the players will count up all the flags in possession of their surviving units, and those stored in their starting zone. They may then assign those flags to any troop in their tournament list as a free Standard upgrade for use during the entire tournament. All normal rules will apply for the use of the Standard upgrade.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 10 unit 1,500 point Dwarf army that I have designed. I can easily play that game to where we only see one turn, maybe two, in an hour. What kind of scenarios are we having?

Wild Bill :blues:

P.S. I'm not implying I would be stalling on purpose, by the way. But, with that many units, there could potentially be a lot of activity going on. It would take time to finish it all.

Freelance Armies will be limited to two different Adept units.

Well. I guess I'm flattered. And annoyed.

I would like some clarification please. Does this restriction mean that Freelancers can only have two units with adept troops in them (and possibly more than one type of adept troop in each unit), or does it mean that Freelancers can only have two types of adept troops? Or does it mean something else that I've missed?

-StV

Freelance Armies will be limited to two different Adept units.

Well. I guess I'm flattered. And annoyed.

I would like some clarification please. Does this restriction mean that Freelancers can only have two units with adept troops in them (and possibly more than one type of adept troop in each unit), or does it mean that Freelancers can only have two types of adept troops? Or does it mean something else that I've missed?

-StV

Official response is up above in the FAQ section of the original post. Sorry this ruling was not meant to be directed at any one player, it was actually just a solution to a growing issue with Freelance armies in tournament play. Which I personally believe were never really intended for tournament play but merely just for fun pick up games with friends. This solution is limiting yes, but does not outlaw them all together.

So, do you mean there can only be two adepts of the same type? For example, I can't take a unit of Dwarven Piercers, Elven Archers, and Crusader Archers because that would be 3 adept units of one type. This makes sense to me.

Or, are you saying two adept units period? Like Elven Archers and Dwarven Shieldmaidens make two units? I don't play Freelance, but I find this interpretation overly harsh. If memory serves, if I were to play using one of the faction books, it is quite feasible to field an entire army of adepts troops!! Why should the Freelance be hindered?

And, I'm asking this because I do not understand what you mean by the FAQ section of this post! :wacko:

Two adept choices period. As in your second example.

You are absolutely correct in that a faction based army can field a entire fighting force made up of adept units. But those adept units are not necessarily the best of at their field. Taking a fighting force made up of the best archers in the game supported by the best grunts in the game along with the best mage in the game healed by the best healers in the game has very few down sides other then point cost and lack of faction sa

This limit was something that was banted about, if it turns out to be too limiting for freelance groups we will of course look at what we can do in the future.

Warwick is a player in my neck of the woods, and has graciously volunteered his minivan for the trip to Dallas. He plays Freelance usually. I'll have to be sure and pass along those restrictions to him. I don't think he usually does that sort of thing, but I'll make sure none the less!

Thanks for the clarification! ::):

This limit was something that was banted about, if it turns out to be too limiting for freelance groups we will of course look at what we can do in the future.

The limit means that I'm either going to have to shelve my favorite models (since I can't make them fit) and buy a bunch of new stuff, or skip the tourney.

I don't particularly like either option, but I'm leaning toward the latter right now. After all, who's to say that the new stuff that I buy won't be made illegal next week? I guess I could buy GW's wood elf models in order to field a RAGE elf force. At least then I could be assured of having something useable in another game.

You might consider more carefully what you're doing the next time you "banter about" ideas like that. GW may be big enough to get away with shafting new patrons, but I'm not sure that Reaper is.

-StV.

If "tournament legality" is the driving force behind your decision to play a specific army, then Warlord might not be the game for you.

Reaper has stated before that they are ready, willing, and able to change what they need to in order to keep the game balanced. Freelance armies are already able to draw upon an extremely large selection of units, with very few limitations. If limiting tournament freelance armies to two adepts is what is required to balance the game, then that's what they'll do. They're already listening to player feedback regarding the Mercy rule for the Crusaders along with other issues. Warlord is still a new game and, as such, it will continue to evolve.

You're right about one thing: Reaper is not GW. Reaper listens to their players, answers rules questions, sells decently priced models, and has excellent service and support.