The Darakan Chronicles, Ice and Madness (OOC)

lstormhammer

Wizards don't have to buy their first spell book, and all starting characters get one set of clothing for free which does not count towards encumbrance. If you carry extra sets of clothing, those cost, and count towards your encumbrance. Choices for starting outfits: artisan, entertainer, explorer, monk, peasant, scholar or traveller's outfit.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your help guys. At this point with company coming over tonight etc, I'm thinking I should in theory be able to work on finishing this character up after I get home from work tomorrow - Yes, I work on Memorial Day - it sucks but I deal with it.

Now to go make sure the crock pot chili I have been cooking all day is up to my standards and make the buscuits to go with it. ::D::wub:

Oops I did not realize the clothes were free..though I suppose it's fair to say my character isn't generally one to be seen hanging around outlet malls looking for bargains..but anyhoo...she has extra duds in case some free-thinking male decides to take her out on the town. :)

So HOW in heck did an elf girl manage to become fluent in orc? (I can teach you some pretty nifty phrases in Monglash orcish if you want me to.)

Wizards don't have to buy their first spell book, and all starting characters get one set of clothing for free which does not count towards encumbrance. If you carry extra sets of clothing, those cost, and count towards your encumbrance. Choices for starting outfits: artisan, entertainer, explorer, monk, peasant, scholar or traveller's outfit.

Quick question as I think I finally have all this crap straight...

The outfit she is wearing, is that considered the "free" set of clothing? Or is the free set a set aside from what she is wearing?

Oops I did not realize the clothes were free..though I suppose it's fair to say my character isn't generally one to be seen hanging around outlet malls looking for bargains..but anyhoo...she has extra duds in case some free-thinking male decides to take her out on the town. :)

So HOW in heck did an elf girl manage to become fluent in orc? (I can teach you some pretty nifty phrases in Monglash orcish if you want me to.)

*in Character*

Because, When I was growing up and learning the Trade of a Wizard, I was always told to learn the languages of those who would consider me an enemy so that I could better protect myself. :;): There is much to learn about others that is helpful once you know their language. Knowing their language could mean the difference between them being a friend or a foe, and between life and death. My Mentor taught me that.

(Psst: Al'Yana can be a bit of a [email protected] when she wants to be.)

Alright Here she is in what I hope is final form. I'll add in a nice description of her tomorrow.

Al'Yana Holimion

Elven Wizard

(All the descriptive stuff is the same as before)

Stats with modifiers figured in

STR: 11

DEX: 18 +4

CON: 14 +2

INT: 18 +4

WIS: 15 +2

CHA: 13 +1

HP: 17

AC: 14

Tough: 14

Flatfooted: 10

Initiative: 4 (?)

Saving Throws

Fortitude: 3

Reflex: 5

Will: 5

Weapons:

Quarterstaff

Silvered Dagger

Light Crossbow with bolts and silvered bolts

Feats:

Scribe Scroll

Spell Mastery

Combat Casting

Languages:

Elven

Common

Draconic

Orc

Sylvan

Goblin

Total carried weight: 44 pounds

LSH, I'll send you a list of her equipment, to much to list here and stay sane.

I'll also mail you her skills list so you know where I stuck her skills points.

I'm working on a list of spells for her still, but at least the basics are ironed out.

I looked in the old 3.0 book. Teh first set of clothes any character owns is free. The price list is just there in case he/she needs to replace her clothes or wants to buy a second set of clothes.

Don't worry Enchantra. You won't have to go nekkid. :lol:

I looked in the old 3.0 book. Teh first set of clothes any character owns is free. The price list is just there in case he/she needs to replace her clothes or wants to buy a second set of clothes.

Don't worry Enchantra. You won't have to go nekkid. :lol:

Nah, Al'Yana won't be Naked. :;):

She is going to be wearing adventuring gear and on her back in her backpack is a Scholar's outfit she purchased.

Hello, everyone! Not dead, just enjoying a weekend of BBQ. Beautiful weather for it out here in California!

Thank you all for your patience. We will begin the game shortly.

Don't worry, Stern. I'll write you into the game the moment you're ready for it.

And thank you for the info, everyone. And especially to Qywk who has been playing Auto Correct on the character sheets.

I play loose and fast with what people are carrying. I wanna play a game, not a quartermaster simulation. :)

--LSH

*Bounciebounciebounciebounciebouncie*

Yeah I'm excited too. Now to get my Character described since I just got home from work and it's to hot outside to do gardening. I'm just going to chill in the AC and get some stuff done. ::D:

Sorry guys, I came very close to writing a novel I think...

Anyways here she is:

Al'Yana Holimion

Her Mentor's last words to her before he passed on from very old age were, "Remember Angel, do what your heart feels is right. Go out and seek wrong and make it right again." Al'Yana nodded, and bid her Mentor a last goodbye. That was a good four years ago now. Since then she has wandered, going from town to town, spending the night wherever she can find a decent place to lay her head - be it under the boughs of a large pine or a spare chair in the corner of a hallway in an Inn - she doesn't need much in order to Meditate and study her spells. As long as the spot provides shelter from the raging elements, it's enough. At some point she might find a permanent home and perhaps return to her childhood home. For now though she travels, earning her gold doing honest work such as casting spells for those who need it or even helping a Farmer in his fields.

Al'Yana is well dressed. She wears an outfit meant for the road, yet sturdy enough for fighting and good enough looking to get notice from those in a village. For a traveling wizard she believes in keeping herself well kept and nicely dressed. Her belief is that her clothing will help to give people a positive impression of her. She wears a tight fitting Cream colored blouse which hugs her ample chest and waist. The sleeves billow out a bit to allow for ease of movement and end about 3/4 down her arms. A black leather Corset type Garment is around her waist, laced up neatly, covering where her blouse joins with the Ankle length skirt she wears. The skirt is a deep Violet-blue color, edged in embroidery that looks to be done in a gold colored thread. The pattern seems reminiscent of leaves and vines with berries hanging in clusters. Her feet are clad in black patent leather boots that lace up to just under her knees. They are water-tight and keep her feet warm in inclement weather. Around her shoulders and trailing to almost her heels is a long flowing lightweight Blue-black woolen Cloak with a hood she can draw over her head. The cloak is edged all around in the same golden embroidery, but the Motif is more elaborate, highly stylized, the leaves almost forming paisley swirls.

Slung over her back is her backpack and her bedroll. Her backpack contains all sorts of items she may need in her journey. At her waist over the Corset is a thick brown leather belt. Hanging from this belt is a pouch that judging by the embossing on it must be for her spell components. A thick leather thong on the belt buckles tightly to hold her spellbook on her person. Hanging on the belt next to the spellbook is a scroll case, which she has filled with several spell scrolls. Two other pouches on her belt hold smaller items she needs at hand like her coinage, and vials of antitoxin and other helpful items. Another small pack on her belt appears to be a Healer's kit. The one item that stands out though on her belt is a dagger in it's embroidered sheath. Light glints off the part of the blade not hidden in the sheath and it's true nature is known - it's silver. In her Right hand she holds a staff, It's basically a walking stick, but it also doubles as a Quarterstaff. Slung over her shoulder, nested next to her backpack is a lightweight crossbow and a quiver filled with bolts. She may be well dressed, but she's also armed to the teeth.

To complete a picture of Al'Yana one looks to her face. It's formed with soft features, rounded lips, small nose, and high cheekbones. Long raven black curls cascade down over her shoulders, offsetting her pale skin. Small silver hoop earrings stud both her eartips. Many would consider her very beautiful to look at. It's the piercing Cobalt blue eyes that make a normal person take a step back. She may be an elf, but with eyes like that there must be something else in her heritage - but what? Even Al'Yana doesn't know. Her eyes are only offset more by the large blue crystal encased in silver that hangs from a silver chain around her neck - a gift from her Mentor many years before. Her gaze is steady and even. She may be an elf, and female, but anyone with a good head on their shoulders usually decides she isn't one to mess with after getting a look at those eyes. She does have a temper, crossing it is a very bad thing.

Despite the fierceness that eminates from her, she has a good heart and seeks to help others. She doesn't hesitate to open her healer's kit and help someone who is ill or injured. She has been known to toss an innkeeper a few coins to give lodging to a poor man with no where to go for the night. Once she gave all her day's rations to a child who was lost and hungry. She has no fear of the law and will go above the law to do what she feels in her heart is the right thing to do. While she respects those who wish to uphold the law, she feels at times they go to far.

Like many elves she does tend to hold some disdain for those who are not elven in nature. This seems to be tempered quite a bit though by her desire to help and to do what is right. Some might consider her stuck up until they watch her in action and listen to her speak eloquently of the people she has known and helped. It is then people discover how kindhearted she can really be.

Al'Yana's Spell Book Contains:

All Level 0 Spells

The following Level one spells:

Mage Armor*

Obscuring mist

Magic Missile*

Shield

Sleep*

Detect Undead

Spider Climb*

Summon Monster 1

True Strike

Color Spray

The Following Level Two spells:

Mirror Image

*Denotes Spell Mastery Spells.

That look right? Qwyk I saw what you said about I could choose to add two spells due to Al'Yana's intelligence. I chose to go with just one level two spell and add in a tenth level one spell.

Anyways her scrolls she is carrying in her scroll case are for Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Mirror Image, Shield, Ray of Frost, Disrupt Undead, Detect Magic, Flare, and Read Magic.

Why all the scrolls? Because you can still study a spell from a scroll if your spellbook is somehow destroyed. I'll get a few more scrolls for Al'Yana in the future.

Edited to add in Spell Mastery.

Edited by Enchantra

With Spell Mastery, you can cast four of your spells, without your spellbook. Make sure you make note of the four. I'd recommend Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Sleep, Spider Climb.

All are very good for getting yourself out of a tight pinch when you might have had your book confiscated.

And especially to Qywk who has been playing Auto Correct on the character sheets.

Not a problem LSH. One advantage of having played the game for ohhhh 20 odd years through all it's incarnations, you learn how to make characters :lol: