Sign in to follow this  
Emmel Eitch

Preview of the "Lock Shields" Army SA

Heres a "preview version" of the Lock Shields rule. It is still in testing, and may change before being published. Until it is published, it is not "tournament legal", however models that possess it (Merack, Onyx Phalanx), may be fielded in a tournament, they may not use this rule.

Lock Shields is an Army Special Ability for the Overlords, and therefore may only be used when fielding an all Overlord force.

Lock Shields

Certain models may perform the Lock Shields action . All Models that conduct a Locked Shields action and have at least two other models conducting Lock Shields in valid Base to Base Contact with them, are immune to Ranged Attacks from enemy models, unless they are utilizing Sure Shot, AoE/#, or Blowthrough Special Abilities. A Volley, Direct or Indirect, does not count as having the AoE/# SA even though it has an Area of Effect. A Lock Shields action requires an Invoke Action, and lasts until the model's next Activation or until they perform any action (including Defensive Strikes) other than Lock Shields. Defensive Strikes may be forgone, if the controlling player so chooses, in which case the models would still be considered to be under the effect of Lock Shields as long as they still have the requisite 2 other models that have performed Lock Shields in valid Base to Base Contact.

The following Models may perform a Lock Shields action.

Merack

Onyx Phalanx

I like it but if it's going to be an army sa they should add more units that it works with. The necro chattel abil only works with one unit but it also works hand in hand with the vampire abil.

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Immune to archer fire?!?!?!?! Did whomever designed the Overlords book hate playing against Elves or something? That seems like a direct counter to their faction. I'll rank up my crossbowmen behind these phalanx guys and bam!! Untouchable!! :blink:

Wild Bill :blues:

quick clarification on the rule as listed...

Does this mean that unless they form some type of circle, the models at either end of the "picket fence" would still be valid targets?

That and then, Bill, forgive me as I am not an elf player, but don't ALL ELVISH armies give the sure shot SA by default, meaning that this SA actually would work against everyone except the elves.

My elves laugh at this AHAHAHAHAHAHA....HA

Firestorm!

haha

EDIT: sure shot all elves have sure shot :)

Does this mean that unless they form some type of circle, the models at either end of the "picket fence" would still be valid targets?

not if they have someone on their side and someone standing behind them Locking Shields

Historically speaking gun powder weapons were the beginning of the end for armored knights and the like due to the fact that even primitive weaponry could punch through armor. So I would have to ask.. does this special ability work against individuals with the Gun SA? Or do those with the gun SA have a harder time hitting but still can hit... that 'other game' makes armor saves at a -2 due to the fact that gun powder weapons are able to pierce armor and shield easily.. any thoughts?

Is this defined as blocking shots on the literal front side of the base only or as asked, do the sides of the end soldiers remain exposed?

Guros is the only flyer with a RAV I know of, but does it protect against flyer RAV's too, I would assume yes, just exposing a loophole.

With the continued expansion of the Overlord faction, they are becoming all the more attractive.

Nice, sure glad nobody plays overlord in my group... yet. But with things looking better and better for the OL's that's bound to change.

After I finish my Dark Age Forsaken, I plan on picking up general matisse and some of his boys. It is only a matter of time...

Is this defined as blocking shots on the literal front side of the base only or as asked, do the sides of the end soldiers remain exposed?

no

Guros is the only flyer with a RAV I know of, but does it protect against flyer RAV's too, I would assume yes, just exposing a loophole.

yes, unless they have Sure Shot, AOE, or Blowthrough

Two things to remember:

1) This does NOT nerf Elves. Elves have Sure Shot, which negates Shield Wall.

2) While the Phalanx is in Shield Wall, it cannot do ANYTHING else. If it does it gives up that protection until it next chooses to spend a combat action to recover it. This means that they are not moving, attacking, coup'ing, THEY ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING.

3) The ends of the line are vulnerable. Unless they've formed square or ranks, you can start at one end and work your way down.

4) They're still vulnerable to fireball, firestorm, blowthrough (and lined up nicely for it!),

5) Note that little tidbit about defensive strikes negating Shield Wall. That's right: They might as well be under a HOLD spell!

Summary: Yes, this will hurt NON-ELF range-focussed armies. But it's only one adept type that can make use of it, and it makes for some fairly unpleasant vulnerabilities in order to do so. But it is not quite the uber-ness that it is made out to be.

Plus, as an Army SA, if you want to take the list it goes with you will be losing one of the other Overlords Army SA's. Is it worth giving up, say, Fear the Whip, or Do Your Duty, to protect a single unit?

2) While the Phalanx is in Shield Wall, it cannot do ANYTHING else. If it does it gives up that protection until it next chooses to spend a combat action to recover it. This means that they are not moving, attacking, coup'ing, THEY ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING.

If the Overlord player is smart they are using the Phalanx to protect their Crossbowmen. As you know they have Ranked which will allow them to shoot through the Phalanx :;): . They CAN move and then Lock Shields! They're not immobile. Move as a unit, Lock Shields and Fire!

3) The ends of the line are vulnerable. Unless they've formed square or ranks, you can start at one end and work your way down.

Again, a smart tactic will be to form a wedge surrounding their Crossbowmen.

4) They're still vulnerable to fireball, firestorm, blowthrough (and lined up nicely for it!),

Absolutely, but one can also have Arik in the back packing a Dispel or two :devil: .

5) Note that little tidbit about defensive strikes negating Shield Wall. That's right: They might as well be under a HOLD spell!

If the enemy has closed ranks with the Phalanx, who cares about being immune to Ranged! Take those Defensive Strikes. The enemy will have to shoot into melee for it to matter ::P: .

Plus, as an Army SA, if you want to take the list it goes with you will be losing one of the other Overlords Army SA's. Is it worth giving up, say, Fear the Whip, or Do Your Duty, to protect a single unit?

No one ever said anything about giving up an existing Faction Ability. Necropolis default got extra Faction Abilities. No reason Lock Shields won't be an additional FA. In fact, I doubt they'll make it strictly part of a sublist because it does only affect a few Models.

No, it's certainly not unbeatable. It's a cool addition that gives you more reasons to use close formations. Good stuff!

In order to always protect every model, you just need to make a bit of a wedge/trapezoid shape.

AA

aa!1

bb!1

BB

CC

[email protected]

[email protected]

DD

Every block of 4 like characters represents a standard based model. You will notice that every model is on base to base contact with at least 2 others, preventing the shoot off the edge and work your way in tactic. It also doesn't require that many models. Small strike teams of 3 would actually work wonderfully.

Make every two models stand back to back so they grant Reach/Trencher to each other. Lower case, ! and @ would represent the rearbases for an example.

Definitely a very deadly formation if this is part of a default list, or if a sublist ability, it includes Xbow. With ranked, you could have a roving shield wall porcupine that shoots it's quills. Form up a wedge and have everyone move. Form the Linked Shield. And then the Xbow can shred from relative safety.

Still VERY prone to AOE spells however.