Sign in to follow this  
Emmel Eitch

Preview of the "Lock Shields" Army SA

See here is the thing i'm woried about yeah that's great against one adept unit of elf archers ..... but when the elf army starts expanding I would be shocked if they didn't get more unit types of archers. So now your tactic for taking out one unit works fine but now you have another one or two units with all the cheesy goodnes of the elves. ::(:

Btw i'm afraid the elves will prolly be the best army when their book comes out. Shoot they're scary now and they don't have all the cool xtras.

As someone who has had an army that has always been able to field 2 troops of Archers, even after they became adepts, and both my archers are really good.

It doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of difference. The tactics work just as well for one troop as they do for 2 troops.

And even better, that's a lot more points of models, and models w/o Tough. Not really that intimidating. Archers always cost more than grunts, even the bad ones. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The type of Elven armies that perform well in my experience and from seeing posts here on the board are those that use Archers in a supporting role rather than concentration on them. Adding a second group of Archers to the Elven line up won't change that, and I would doubt that any archers added tot he army list would be any cheaper than Vale Archers, so no matter what happens, if Archers are the primary composition of the Elven army they will have a serious disadvantage in numbers.

I suspect we'll likely see something along the lines of Duke Gerard or Judas' ability that allows a given Elven Warlord to field extra archers. I would guess we might only see 1 more actual Elven archer unit, and it wouldn't suprise me if they were a melee/archery combined unit like rangers or some such, with less of an actual archery focus.

i think they should be immune to sure shot they allready have a hard time with elves why make the "shield wall" weak to elven fire. How many ways do the O lords really have to deal with ranged?

I have to disagree. I'm trying to think about this not as an elf player, but from the SA's point of view. Sure shot gives you the ability to ignore cover penalties and shoot into melee freely. As long as your target is not fully obstructed, you can shoot at it. Lock Shields would not create a fully obstructed box in which the Overlord troop can not be seen. This would be the criteria, IMHO, for sure shot not working against lock shield. Since this is not the case, sure shot should be in the list of abilities that negate lock shields.

I believe Overlords will be getting heavily armored cavalry , which may as well be known as "elf bane".

i think they should be immune to sure shot they allready have a hard time with elves why make the "shield wall" weak to elven fire. How many ways do the O lords really have to deal with ranged?

I have to disagree. I'm trying to think about this not as an elf player, but from the SA's point of view. Sure shot gives you the ability to ignore cover penalties and shoot into melee freely. As long as your target is not fully obstructed, you can shoot at it. Lock Shields would not create a fully obstructed box in which the Overlord troop can not be seen. This would be the criteria, IMHO, for sure shot not working against lock shield. Since this is not the case, sure shot should be in the list of abilities that negate lock shields.

I believe Overlords will be getting heavily armored cavalry , which may as well be known as "elf bane".

They have Onyx Chevaliers already, though.

They have Onyx Chevaliers already, though.

The Chevies are solos, and thus not quite as useful (no small-medium troops possible). The cavalry grunts we've seen so far are DV 9, which I'd hardly call 'heavily armoured'.

The Chevies are solos, and thus not quite as useful (no small-medium troops possible). The cavalry grunts we've seen so far are DV 9, which I'd hardly call 'heavily armoured'.

DV 9 with Cavalry, which gives them an 11. Spinal Tap jokes aside, that means that only one elf or goblin shot in 3, or so, will hit. Other archers will be in worse shape. For a high mobility adept, it seems heavily armored enough.

I'd say if they are getting Heavy Cavalry it will be a faction ability that allows Onyx Chevies to be taken as a unit under certain situations, I wouldn't hold my breath for an entirely new adept.

DV 9 with Cavalry, which gives them an 11. Spinal Tap jokes aside, that means that only one elf or goblin shot in 3, or so, will hit. Other archers will be in worse shape. For a high mobility adept, it seems heavily armored enough.

Bear in mind that the archers will get one, and perhaps zero activations to shoot the cavalry, and that's not too bad. I think the best cavalry grunts have a 10 DV, so it's not like they are the Arnise of cavalry...

PS

Well at least you get a dv of 11 against the elves ...... but when they're shooting at you 18 times :wacko: odds are pretty good they'll hit. All other archers beware. :grr:

I have to agree, these guys are clearly light cavalry, and the only other light Cavalry that has higher DV are the Deathriders.

The Khamsin Raiders are Dv10. They basically have the same stats, just one attack instead of the Zephyrs' two. So, for 8pts extra the Zephyrs get one extra attack but lose one Dv.