Sign in to follow this  
Emmel Eitch

Preview of the "Lock Shields" Army SA

I have to agree, these guys are clearly light cavalry, and the only other light Cavalry that has higher DV are the Deathriders.

The Khamsin Raiders are Dv10. They basically have the same stats, just one attack instead of the Zephyrs' two. So, for 8pts extra the Zephyrs get one extra attack but lose one Dv.

Sounds fair ! I'll take that exchange any day ! ::D:

The Khamsin Raiders are Dv10. They basically have the same stats, just one attack instead of the Zephyrs' two. So, for 8pts extra the Zephyrs get one extra attack but lose one Dv.

Curses, i knew I should have looked at the Raiders before I posted ::D:

I agree with Brushmaster, the echange is worthwhile. losing 1 DV still gives them DV 11 against ranged attacks, making most ranged units hit on a 8-10, which isn't too bad.

Well at least you get a dv of 11 against the elves ...... but when they're shooting at you 18 times :wacko: odds are pretty good they'll hit. All other archers beware. :grr:

And at most those 18 shots are going to get 2 of my cavalry, and the other 3 are going to kill their share of archers.

Unless I can time the cavalry move. Archers go (cavalry are out of range). Cavalry go (double move to within charge range). End of turn. Cavalry go (charge archers, kill, kill, kill). Meanwhile the rest of the army moves over the board unmolested...

If you bought all archers, and don't have anyone to put in my cavs way, you'll be a hurting unit. Ask Darthiir.

PS

If you are going against anyone other than Elves, your plan might work. But, they can shoot 30" and volley 36"!! :blink:

Against my lowly piercers...fear their defensive strikes! They never miss! :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

If you are going against anyone other than Elves, your plan might work. But, they can shoot 30" and volley 36"!! :blink:

Against my lowly piercers...fear their defensive strikes! They never miss! :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

The plan works against elves. 40" away at start. Double move 24". Now 16" away, and within charge range.

The plan completely fails against dwarves. The Piercers are so much cheaper than cavalry the trade off breaks down. But the piercers only have an 18" range, and the Xbows can match that, and nothing can trade shots with Overlord Xbows.

PS

There's a beautiful way to deal with Elven Archers. It's called Firestorm and it works for me everytime. ::D:

Bring on the Fairy Folk, I love the smell fo dead treehuggers in the morning! :lol:

but couldnt elves move first, moving up 6 inches and then you'd be in range the first turn. Plus I cant remember if their archers have ranger or not, I know most of their other units do.

But, still, agreed, if the initiative part can be handled correctly, then havoc could be handed by the cavalry.. on a regular 4x4 table. Another readon I hate 4x4 tables.

but couldnt elves move first, moving up 6 inches and then you'd be in range the first turn. Plus I cant remember if their archers have ranger or not, I know most of their other units do.

But, still, agreed, if the initiative part can be handled correctly, then havoc could be handed by the cavalry.. on a regular 4x4 table. Another readon I hate 4x4 tables.

You prefer smaller tables?

PS

...on a regular 4x4 table. Another readon I hate 4x4 tables.

What kind of tables do you use. A standard Warlord table is 4x4, but even other games only use a 4x6 table and you set up along the 6' side so you still have 4' to cross to get to the other side. I don't think I've ever played on a 6x6 table unless it was a group game. :rock:

...on a regular 4x4 table. Another readon I hate 4x4 tables.

What kind of tables do you use. A standard Warlord table is 4x4, but even other games only use a 4x6 table and you set up along the 6' side so you still have 4' to cross to get to the other side. I don't think I've ever played on a 6x6 table unless it was a group game. :rock:

I've done 6X6 games at Cons. For my home games though, we use 4X4 or 4X6 for one reason, economics. It's way easier and cheaper to build and store a 4 X whatever table than it is to make a two piece 6X6. For this reason I've gotten used to the 4X4 tables.

Now for all you out there who say they love big games and big tables, how realistic is it? I mean I know I dont have the room to set up a huge game table 12' X 6' and leave it set up all the time. I also don't have hours and hours to play. For me it's more fun to sit down on a 4X4 or 4X6 and hammer away for a couple hours or 3 and then tear down. Helps with the marital bliss too.

If you talk to any gamer they'll say they love big games on big terrain, so long as it's not their problem to set up or tear down. :B):

I've got an 8x4, but it's out in the garage. Unfortunately though, the garage is not air conditioned so summer games out there are a rarity, especially since my wife is pregnant. The back up is folding table from Walmart roughly 6x3. Works great. I keep my terrain in a plastic drawer thingy so set-up/clean-up isn't much of an issue. I always play CAV lenthwise, need more models for WL. Biggest problem I have regardless of where we play or on how big a table is keeping the kids from destroying the terrain. I need to cast hills in resin or something.

Anyone that has played at my place before will attest the fact that I love big tables and I build big tables. And to the shaggrin of my wife, I leave the tables up in the garage for months at a time.

My main table is 8 x 6 table. My biggest is an 8 x 12 table with a notch in the middle for reach purposes. Well, that was my biggest table, I had to get rid of that one. I promised my wife that I would only keep X number of builds at a time and since I built a new table tis past February I had to let one go and that was the one chosen. But, that's ok, just another excuse to build something even better this coming year.

I also have a set of 4 interlocking tables ranging from 3x3 to 4x5 that together make a long interesting non square table that I love cause it adds a whole new dynamic to the games.

Only time I play on 4x4 is when I go to the LGS.

Well I just got my phalanx units, and the jury is still out. I'll admit first that the little roman skirty thing didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. They are still in full armor, so I can live with it. The sculpt we haven't seen on the card is basically the same, except that his shield is lifted overhead like they are turtling. Very cool.

The only disappointment to me is Merack. He's basically the same sculpt as the grunts, but with a few more adornments to his helm and armor, and a different shield/weapon combo. Not bad, I was just hoping for somthing radically different. That said, it does show the unit cohesiveness of the phalanx, so maybe it's not so bad.

Overall I have to say that I'm pleased with them. When I saw the skirting I was very skeptical, but seeing them in real life they're much better. So any bets on whether or not I'll get 22 phalanx units painted by Monday? :wacko: