just planning to start

Hi there, I'm just planning to get started with warlords, due to my location (germany), I won't have anyone who can tell me how ists done, so i'll need the rules and probably two army's ^^

I've got quit some wargaming epertise due to many years of Gamesworksshop games playing and a few games, Hordes and Flames of War, Also a lot of Confrontation. Mainly I'm searching for an alternative for Warhammer Fantasy, so I'm looking for a larger scaled fantasy game, (rank and file is not neccessary, but it would be nice), So i'm planning to buy the big starterpack with Cursader and necropolis and i think the rulebook inside.

So my main questions are:

1.) How is Warlords played?

2.) Is it confrontation, Hordes or Warhammerlike? (I'm asking this because I read something about statcards)

3.) How many Minitatures are there in the common Game? would something else be better to buy (e.g. two army sets and the rulebook)?

4.) Is it a rank and file based system, or more like Flames of War, or Hordes, or Confrontation?

5.) What amount of money should i calculate for one army?

6.) Is the deluxe startersset the right choice for me? (I've got a wargaming club and i'm planning to get some other people interested, if i'm going to start with Warlords).

7.) If I read it correctly ina naother thread there are no Fansites at this time, in english or german?

So I'm sorry if some of the questions seem to be obvious, but I've got no opprtunity to ask anyone here, or playtest the game, so i hope i get some answers here ;)

Kind regards SilverDrake

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to Reaper and Warlord.

1. The rules are a little too long to write them all here but to give you and idea the game is played using ten sided dice. Each model is a part of a troop. Each troop is represented by a card in a draw deck that both players share. The cards are not for specific troops. When a players card is drawn he may use any one of his troops that hasn't already gone. Each model in the troop gets two actions, one combat action and one non-combat action or two non-combat actions. Each model has a card with its stats on it for quick reference. To succeed at a roll you have to roll a D10 and add the relevant modifier and beat or equal a target number. There is more but too much for this post.

2. It is more like Confrontation and perhaps Hordes. The game is not played in ranked units, though you may rank them if you want, although this may even be a disadvantage.

3.The average game is 1000pts. and usually consists of between 15 and 30 models. The double started that includes the Crusaders and Necropolis is probably best to begin with.

4. See answer 2.

5. No more than about 75 euros for the average army. And that is probably on the high side.

6. The deluxe started would be a very good start. If you are going to get other people to play then I would Highly suggest you join Black Lightning. If you go to the Reaper Website you can read more about it. If others are interested in playing then I suggest getting the smaller army starters which have a 750pt. army in them. It is easy to build from there.

7. I would say that this site, the Reaper site and the Warlord site are more than I could ever wish for. People post about anything you would want to know. People also post pictures, fan art, fan fiction, miniatures, news, convention reports and a lot of other things.

I hope you get into Warlord. It is a great community and we need more European players. I plan to go to Germany sometime in the next two years so I would like to be able to play when I go. ::D:

Urion, thanks for saving me a lot of typing, great summary ^_^

Drake. There is a HUGE amount of information about Warlord in these forums, and most of the folks will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. The Search feature in the upper right of the window is a very helpful tool for finding some of the more common questions if you don't happen to see a thread answering a question for you.

Folks with the Reaper logo under their avatars are Official Reaper Staff. Emmel Eitch's posts are considered Official clarifications and errata. Previously Reaper Matt and Goldeneagle's Asylum Testing Notes were also Official

Regarding some of your previous questions. The Deluxe Crusaders/Necropolis starter box is a great starting point. It will give you two viable starter armies for a great price. The other small box Starter Boxes (the ones for $39.99 (31 EUR) are a great way to get started if you do not want to play Crusaders or Necropolis.

You can really spend however much on models as the size of your army. Warlord scales very nicely. You can play a 500 point game just as easily as a 5000 point game, the rules don't break down as it gets bigger, you just have longer games ^_^

An average blister for soldiers contains 3 models, and costs about $13.49 (10.50 EUR)

An average single character, standard based model costs about $5.00 (3.90 EUR)

Model prices are based on the size/mass of metal of the figure, and complexity/number of pieces. You will not be paying extra for special or unique models and characters. Bigger models cost more.

The Euro figures I gave are just a direct exchange rate conversions for the US prices. There may be more costs because of local taxes, duties, all that extra stuff that might bump up costs. If you pop over to the Asylum Online Store you will be able to check out the US prices on all the figures, or if you have a copy of Casketworks kicking around, which is the Reaper Catalogue/Magazine.

Ah cool thanks a lot, This answers allmost all of my questions :)

It does sound interesting, and i'm planning totally to try it out.

And in the future i'll use the searchfunction, but i thought i'll just put all of my questions into one Thread ^^

And i've got another one, I've been looking around and found some deluxe startersets for the factions which include Armybooks, now my question is, if it would be better to get the army books from the start on? (they seem to be priced nicely :wub: (unlike GW))

So thanks a lot, I'll probably ask a lot more during the next few months :)

@ urion if you get near the north of germany give me a pm and we'll find some tabletop to play ;) probably Warlord too, allthough i first need to get my hands on it ^^.

well enough set for this time, thanks again, and kind regards SilverDrake

The Deluxe Starter boxes are a great supplement to the other Starter Boxes. They are a great deal. You do not need the Faction books to play, but they don't hurt.

If you are thinking of playing Crusaders and Necropolis initially, I would consider buying:

The Deluxe Starter Set.

The Deluxe Necropolis Starter Set

The Delxuse Crusader Starter Set

You'll get a good assortment of models to get started, both Faction books and Core Rulebook, and there will not be any overlap of models.

A lot will also depend on how much money you're willing to lay out initially. The three will cost you about $200 US total.

From there, you can get a good start and see what you like. And supplement your existing Models with individual purchases in the future.

BTW, if you're trying to figure out costs. Faction books are $15 US, Paints are $3 US each bottle, Core Rulebook is $25 US. All the deluxe boxes are a great deal.

I'd love to play a game. I will be headed to Bonn when I go. :lol:

Ah cool thats not to far away from bremen ^^ (about 3 hours with train and 2 hours with car) :)

@ Qwiksilver thanks a lot that does help allthough i'm happy with my vallejo colors ;) (and i have enough of them for a year in advance (well most of them ^^ after painting 5000pts 40k Tau some of them are reduced a lot ^^)

But with the starterdeals you've got a point, i lso checked out Black lightnig, and also thanks, i'll probably try to join allthoug i need to find one or more stores who are willing to have such an event and got reaper in their store ^^ in germany we are just starting with confrontation and hordes/warmachine, allmost everyone is playing GW (it's fun but i like it if the game is balanced if you know what i mean ;) )

So in conclusion i've allready got a few other interested people in my local wargaming club, and i am organising our tournaments and a lot more so i'll just start to learn Warlords and just organize a few events :devil: (if i got power i'll use ist ::D: ;)) And i'm really planning to join black lightning but first i'll need to get the miniatures, hopefully during the next 5 weeks (hah i need money ^^) so i can learn the rules a little ^^

And the other good thing on the starterbox is i really like crusaders, necropolis and Elves from the design so at least i get 2 out of 3 ^^

Ok so thanks again and I'll just use this thread for anyother question that might come up ^^

regards SilverDrake

edit/: btw i updated my personal infos, and a thank you for the warm welcome :)

I recommend getting the faction books early on, not immediately, but before you purchase a significant number of minis for your chosen faction(s) since some of the information in the faction book may help guide your choices. In particular, the faction books have different sub-lists where if you only choose models belonging to that sub-lists, your force gains certain abilities (and loses others) over the default army list.

For example, the Necropolis faction book changes the default Necropolis special abilities by adding some that are specific to vampires. On the other hand, the Crypt Legion sub-list has other abilities, but you can only have certain models, none of which are vampires. So, depending on what abilities you want (general Nercropolis vs.. Crypt Legion), you may want adjust your mini purchases accordingly.

That said, the Deluxe Starter Set with the rulebook, Crusader minis, and Necropolis minis is a terrific way to start.

Welcome!

Ron

Ok thank you also for welcoming me :bday: ;)

And of couse for your information.

so at the moment i'm planning to buy this:

the deluxe starter set and the two armybooks for crusaders and necropolis, I gave a thought to buying the two deluxe armysets, but since atm there is none with elves in it and since i've got enough colors I think it will be the best option to start for me: I've got two forces the basic rules, and the army spceific rules for both my forces. So i can give demos right from the start with all the correct rules, i can see (and show others) the deepness of the system with specific rules, and I can decide how i'll build my armys in the end.

Also i decided, that i'll apply to the black lightning program, directly after i've go to know the rules, that will hopefully be in early august or late july.

So thank you all again you've really been a great help, and also encouraged me a lot ^^, so if anyone of you ever visits germany (the Spiel06 in october is really great and i'm going there every year) give me sign and we can surely arrange a game or two :)

Still i'll probably use this thread again ;)

Greetings SilverDrake

You also might want to get a sergeant and a pack of archers for each of your initial forces (if your budget allows for them). You'll eventually want to get them anyway.

So, for the Crusaders, either Sir Conlan or Sir Malcolm and a pack of Ivy Crown Archers.

For the Necropolis, Railor and a pack of Skeleton Archers.

With the Deluxe Starter Set and the sergeant/archer combination, you'll have a decently balanced starting force with a captain, an elite spell caster, a group of soldiers for one troop and a second troop consisting of a sergeant and archers.

Ron

You also might want to get a sergeant and a pack of archers for each of your initial forces (if your budget allows for them). You'll eventually want to get them anyway.

So, for the Crusaders, either Sir Conlan or Sir Malcolm and a pack of Ivy Crown Archers.

For the Necropolis, Railor and a pack of Skeleton Archers.

With the Deluxe Starter Set and the sergeant/archer combination, you'll have a decently balanced starting force with a captain, an elite spell caster, a group of soldiers for one troop and a second troop consisting of a sergeant and archers.

Ron

Normally I'd be very much in agreement here, but the Ivy Crown archers share the dubious honour of being the worst archers in the game (with the Khemsin rangers). I know some people have good luck with them... but at >40 points apiece, the Crusaders really can't afford to water down their low number count even more with these wannabe merry men.

As an alternative, I would suggest using a fast-moving solo, like the Guardian Beast. But there's very little wrong with the standard Templar Knights, supported by some Ironspines or those fleetfooted Ivy Crown skirmishing infantry (I forgot their name). Melee supported by healers is the Crusaders' strength.

The skeletal archers are a good idea, though - they add a nice dimension to the Necropolis army, and are fairly point-efficient. They are also cheap to purchase, since they come 4 to the blister.

Some room is there in my budget so i'm really thankfull for your suggestions :)

The statcards come with the miniatures? or are they in the Armybook(s)/Rulebook?

Another question: I love cavalry, would it make sense to buy some in the beginning and if yes which one would make sense?

And i've noticed some really good modells of dogs for the crusaders, can i use them or are they complete useless (in the beginning and later)?

Enough questions for the moment ^^ I'll come back and ask more :)

regards SilverDrake

Edit:/ just been araound the store and chose the things you two suggestet and some there i just like the look :P

So you can give me some suggestions but, atm i'm planning to buy the following list (and in autumn perhaps as a 3rd faction elves):

16510 : Deluxe Army Box, Warlord Starter Set

25003 : Faction Book: Necropolis

25005 : Faction Book: Crusaders

14037 : Sir Conlan, Lightbringer

14148 : Railor

14101 : Skeletal Archers (4)

14114 : Templar Ironspines

14208 : Garr, War Dog

14231 : Heavy Cavalry

14213 : Lady Devona

14186 : Lord Vandrian, Mtd

14090 : Wraith Harvesters (3)

14134 : Ivy Crown Archers (3)

total:$ 210.75 or here in germany with the aother reaper prizes here compared about 150 euro

Please note, i want to play with both factions (and build even different armys out of them) but also have the possibility to get other people into it either the game and the looks so i'd like to get a feedback under this view on it ;)

ps the warbeast may be good but i personally don't like the look so i chose ironspines :)

I suggest staying away from the cavalry units for now, at least until you get the rules and the faction books. Lady Devona is a great sculpt, but to be effective she and the heavy cavalry model need to be led by a cavalry leader and have one or two (or more) other cavalry minis with them.

Garr can be fielded by himself or as the leader of 2 (or more) wardogs (all of which are "cavalry" of sorts with an interesting special ability: "Distract").

Lord Vandrian is a solo, so he can be fielded by himself. But, he can only be fielded as part of the general Necropolis list and not as part of the Crypt Legion sub-list. As such, again, I recommend that you get the faction book and think about implications first.

The Ironspines and Wraith Harvesters are a good addition: I should have suggested those since you'll want them anyway.

Lynxkitten, the Ivy Crown Archers are weak archers, but they've been used with some effectiveness against me, especially if led by Sir Conlan who casts a Bless or two. Besides, if the list is partially going to be used to teach others about the game, having the archers means having some ranged attack units on both sides.

Ron

16510 : Deluxe Army Box, Warlord Starter Set

25003 : Faction Book: Necropolis

25005 : Faction Book: Crusaders

14037 : Sir Conlan, Lightbringer

14148 : Railor

14101 : Skeletal Archers (4)

14114 : Templar Ironspines

14208 : Garr, War Dog

The Thing about cavalry is i'd like to have some, because of luring other players from the beginning in to play the game with me ^^ and getting them started too, and I think it would be an advantage, so i'd like to have some tips vor a cavalry unit of crusaders, and perhaps something else for necropolis, because there i only like one cavarly modell ;), perhaps something that looks impressing and would also be a good backup for necropolis, well at least acceptable ^^

So the list now would be a good choice for the beginning, and playable too?

thanks again ;)

Actually I would hold off on getting cavaly until you feel you are ready for a faction book. Faction books are optional but they are ment to change the way you play your faction so you might be caught off gaurd with just how much one model will change your game.