file transfer--computer to computer

haldir

Hey guys

last night I almost bought a 20 dollar cable/software package at Wallyworld last night, as I want to finally get some files off my old puter onto this one (mostly music & picture stuff), but I thought I'd ask for other options, heck maybe even cheaper options if any.

the cable was 2.0 USB cable, the software I noticed used IE, so that was something that I wanted to avoid (as I used Firefox)

the USB cable seems like a good way for me to go, but I'm open for other options.

thanks

Randy M

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cheapest (free) and fastest way to transfer the data is to simply put the old hard disk into the new machine (even if only temporarily) and then moving the data to the new hard disk.

Other than that you copuld upload to a server and then download it to the new machine. This can be done for free also.

Depending on how much data you want transfered burning a few CD's or DVD's might be the cheaper way to go if you don't like the free options.

Okay, so how do you do it from a laptop to a desktop?

I've had this question for a while, now. The Zip Drive I have is old and won't work with the newer Windows. *sigh*

There are connectors that one could use to connect the laptop hard drive to the desktop drive controller... Fry's should have 'em. Or, if both have a NIC card... Use a hub... too much info/not enough?

If both computers have network cards an option is a cross over cable. It is no more difficult then using a hub, just less to buy. However, they aren't as plentiful as regular network cable.

But, the easiest and cheapest options would be either transfer the hard drive (if you dont' know how, have a friend), or burn the info onto CD's. There are many other options, and if those two don't fit you, give us some more info and we can help further.

really don't want that hard drive in this system, as it's the one that is wacko due to a crash last Jan/Feb or so.

Alot of files, more or less big files, so disks would be ok but that would be a major PiTA to do.

So I'll probably just spend the cash on the cable/software thingee & do it that way. Seems to be the easiest option, due to both 'puters have 2.0 USB in them & such. Hell even do it overnight if I have to.

thanks for advice..

RM

I guess I should specify the problems with the laptop.

Screen is cracked.

Disk drives don't work.

It's old. 3GB HD, and that was considered high tech when I got it. It's at least 8-9 years old, Windows 98 is on it, and it does have USB, but I don't know if it's 2.0 or not.

While my current computer is newer with Windows NT, Athalon 1.2 and 80 GB HD.

So I really need a way to just backup the HD on the laptop so I can erase the HD and pass it on to someone who wants computer parts.

the usb is defeintly 1.0 on the laptop, don't think 98 supported 1.1 or 2.0 back then

have you thought about getting a external case for the hard drive inside?? then put hte drive in there, then hook it up the computer to get the files out??

those are pretty cheap these days, like 20 bucks if you can catch a good deal on newegg.com

RM

RM

I guess I should specify the problems with the laptop.

Screen is cracked.

Disk drives don't work.

It's old. 3GB HD, and that was considered high tech when I got it. It's at least 8-9 years old, Windows 98 is on it, and it does have USB, but I don't know if it's 2.0 or not.

While my current computer is newer with Windows NT, Athalon 1.2 and 80 GB HD.

So I really need a way to just backup the HD on the laptop so I can erase the HD and pass it on to someone who wants computer parts.

When you say Disk Drives don't work, do you mean CD/Floppy, or do mean the Hard drive isn't working too?

Assuming the Hard drive is working, it sounds like your best option is a crossover cable (The trick is making sure you get the cross over cable, and not a normal one). Most laptops have a network port built in, and your desktop likely does too, and if not, you could borrow one from someone, or worst case situation, you could just buy one for less then 20 bucks. (which then would be useful if you get DSL or Cable internet)

Here's what you do:

Needed:

-A crossover ethernet cord (or two cords, both connected to a hub)

-network ports.

Do this:

-Connect the two computers together.

-Enable Simple File Sharing in Windows.

-Make sure "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing" are enabled on both computers.

-Set the IP address to 192.168.1.1 in one computer.

-Set the IP address to 192.168.1.2 in the other.

-Make sure the subnet mask is the same in both computers.

-Move all files you want to transfer into a shared directory.

-browse to the shared directory from the other computer.

-Copy files.

This is assuming you have Windows and are somewhat network-versed. I could do this in 5 minutes, assuming nothing came up in the networking that requires voodoo or a live chicken.

Disk drives. The hard drive is fine. The computer will boot up. I can't load/save anything from the floppy or cd drive, and disks get stuck in the floppy. I've tried cleaning. It's a weird setup where the 3.5 and CD drive switch out, so I can't use both at the same time. It's really a bad setup and part of the reason, I think, the drives don't work anymore. It was a replacement for the previous laptop I did have (I had extended warranty and the screen flaked out about five times, so they gave me a new computer).

I just need a monitor to hook it into to see what is on the screen. Cracked LCDs are bad things. Only hookup ports I know of are serial, parallel, USB, and PCMCIA.

Disk drives. The hard drive is fine. The computer will boot up. I just need a monitor to hook it into to see what is on the screen. Cracked LCDs are bad things. Only hookup ports I know of are serial, parallel, USB, and PCMCIA.

You can, if you know somone get a PCMCIA network adapter, just borrow it, use it to transfer files. That or it sounds like your next best option would be an adapter that someone on here mentioned to allow you to install the notebook harddrive into a desktop (or did I read that wrong?) There is also mention of a USB file transfer, that would work. Also, if you know somoeone with an external hard drive, that is an option too.

You have lots of options, it just depends on how much you want to spend, or what kind of things your friends have that you can use.