paleskin

Superstition or just plain wierd?

During a recent game a fellow gamer asked for the loan of a d20,this was met with much horror/mirth from the other players with the sage like advise being given,as follows "dont loan Phil any dice he will curse them".

To my amusement I then "refused" to loan him said multi-facetted moulded polyhedrons,for fear of him ruining their game winning potential.

Led me to thinking whether or not anybody else has any dice related foibles?You know the one where you change the dice after a "bad" roll or even talk to your dice before rolling them or the old Vegas trick of blowing on them before letting them out of your sweaty palm.

In my last gaming group, one of the other players and I had a thing about "firing" dice when they rolled low.

Just for clarification, I have no superstitions about dice at all. It was entirely for the entertainment value for me. That, and I had way too many dice, and this was a good way for me to get to use more of them.

I "train" new dice by putting them in a bag with my old dice. They do not get used untill they have been properly shown how by the old dice, usually three or foutr monthsa.

Yes I am a wierdo.

I have a friend who threatens his dice with a hammer if they continue to roll badly for him. I've even seem him use said hammer on one once.. then turn to his other dice and say "Behave or you'll end up like this one".

I have another friend who just before he rolls, declares the number he wants it to be. Quite often it comes up with said number! It's quite freaky.

If I want a certain number I hold the dice in my fist up to my mouth and will whisper the number I want into my hand just before I roll.

Also, if anyone at the table doesn't want that 1 for D&D or the 7 for Settlers you can quite often hear the mantra "No Whammies No Whammies" as they roll.

I have a friend who threatens his dice with a hammer if they continue to roll badly for him. I've even seem him use said hammer on one once.. then turn to his other dice and say "Behave or you'll end up like this one".

Guilty. 10 lb sledge scared the rest of my dice into behavior.

Also, if anyone at the table doesn't want that 1 for D&D or the 7 for Settlers you can quite often hear the mantra "No Whammies No Whammies" as they roll.

Guilty. "Big buck, big bucks no whammies..." <roll>

What I often do during D&D. I get out the dice I plan on rolling, and during set up and the start, I will either place them all on their max values, or I will "prime" the dice by rolling them continuously until they roll max. The ones that roll max are set aside until they all max out and have been fully primed.

For warlord, I have green scarab dice that I, and only I use for my Reven. I have a bunch of other, crummy random dice that people can borrow if they want :devil:

I am a firm believer that dice are an integral part of the army and should be treated as such.

All my dice wether for warlord or 40K travel with the army in the carrying case so they feel that they are important too.

Love your dice and they will love you back.

Oh and also several of us are firm believers in NOT rolling the dice haphazardly between times when we should roll. What if it comes up a good number? You've wasted it GAAAA!!

I threaten to melt my dice down. Though since transitioning to a game that uses d10s (which I don't have as many of) rather than d6s (which I have in droves) I start referring to one of the offending dice as Captain Needa until they get the hint.

(Repost of something I said about this time last year, in a different thread)

I always have a little pre-game "pep talk" wioth my dice. It goes something like this:

I empty the dice pouch onto the table, and set aside the dice needed for the game. (NB - for something like Warlord, I only separate the d10, for, while I may use a d4 or d6 for recording damage, they aren't rolled.)

I then sort out the pieces of broken dice. I place these two piles side by side.

I then tell the dice for the game "Witness what may happen to you, should you roll poorly today. Know ye know that no die is safe from the Iron Bar of Retribution."

I have been known to throw dice away in the middle of a game (literally, as in, scoop them all up, walk over to trashcan, and throw them in. It's not as though I don't have spares.) I have also been known to ask for a 5 minute delay of game to go out into the parking lot and use the IBoR to destroy one of the worst offenders of the game, and then I bring in the fresh sacrifice to show the rest of my dice.

It rarely works, but my luck with dice is notoriously bad, so at least it makes it feel better.

Also, at a former FLGS, when I was running a Clicky Game Which Shall Not Be Named, I was even more notorious for bad dice rolls. So notorious, in fact, that not only would other people refuse to let me touch, let alone roll, their dice, that it was a commonly held belief that I could simply pass my hands over some dice, mutter "Roll as though you were mine," and curse them to sub-standard rolls for several games.

(Heck, I had players who swore that, when I approached their table, their dice would suddenly go sour.)

Ironically enough, this is a consistent ability - when the high rolls are good in the game, I will roll low. When low rolls are good, the same dice will suddenly roll high.

Ask my husband. I'm a dice freak. I own over 500 at last count.

There are two bags of dice, both lined in $20/yard velvet and made out of $20/yard Chinese silk. Not cheap bags, handmade by me.

In the gray bag is a mix-mash of dice. Some I've "acquired" somehow (they just ended up in my collection and I don't recall how, and I know where/pretty much when I got all my dice) and dice I don't overly care much about. A lot of these are old (old) sharp-edged crystals that are now impossible to find. These are dice that are not longer "sets" of all one color scheme. These are my loaners.

In the black bag are my specials. Inside the black bag are more bags. Color coded bags (purchased) that are cheap velvet-type material and cheap satin. These will eventually be replaced by the expensive stuff. In each bag are dice of corresponding color (purple satin for purple dice, blue for blue, red for red, etc). Also, individual sets are used typically either for a specific character (such as the pink six-sided which are only used for Siren - a water-based Champions character or LiSA - a cyborg-type Champions character) or for a specific game (purple sharp-edged crystal for D&D only). Some are even for a specific character in a specific game (some characters are made for several different games but end up with different dice sets). This is because of how the dice roll. They seem to like only that specific game/character/combo.

I fully believe in spoiling my dice. I still own my originals (sans one that is missing - I think it ended up in the collection of an old friend). The originals are never used anymore since, being about 26 years old, the edges are chipped and rounded (once sharp) and the plastic is brittle.

I also own a set of Lapis Lazuli dice. :wub: These are in their own leather bag within the blue bag within the black bag.

My dice are generally good to me.

LOL... you guys are freaks! :poke:

I'm just as guilty.

In between rolls I leave all of my D6's with the 6 side up and all of my D10's with the 10 side up.

I'm a firm believer in matching dice to a single character. When I find the set which rolls well for that character, they are never used for others (I have 2 sets of stone dice - hematite and adventurene - dedicated to my 3rd ed Druid, and they've never let me down)

I insist on using player's dice when i run D&D whether they like it or not. They REALLY dislike that.

Yeah, gamers are victims of superstition.